• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Alderman was good but where is Lindwall?
Good question about Lindwall. If it's in England, Alderman was deadly, but Lindwall wasn't far off him in averages, but a bit behind on SR. Lindwall, Lillee, McGrath and Alderman are the best quicks for English conditions. If the test are in Australia, Alderman might not make the team I guess.

Guys who didn't play enough but were successful in Eng were Ryan Harris and Paul Reiffel.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can we add Thommo or Mitch Johnson if we're only taking peaks?

The 85 Ashes would've been very interesting if Alderman didn't defect.

Red

AUSTRALIA VS ENGLAND (IN AUSTRALIA)

Warner
Hayden
Bradman
Smith
Hussey
Miller
Gilchrist +
CTB Turner
Warne
Lillee
Thomson
McGrath

There are a cluster of pre WW1 bowlers who have really good records but I never know how to judge them in these scenarios. Trumble, Giffen and Turner have very good records. Of the three, Turner most likely deserves a spot. I'd set the parameter at ten tests, but in nine against Eng in Aust tests, Turner took 63 wickets. Once again, I think in these scenarios it's better to look at pre WW1 seperately, basically pre and post Hobbs.

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Edrich
Hammond
Botham
Knott
Larwood
Tate
Bedser
Underwood

Once again, a number of early era bowlers probably deserve inclusion, Barnes, Peel & Richardson most notably. A few players didn't meet the criteria of ten tests, but were excellent here, notably Vaughan in his 6 tests here. Ali Cook and Boycott were also very good here, but cannot displace Hobbs, Hutton or Sutcliffe.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
AUSTRALIA VS ENGLAND (IN AUSTRALIA)

Warner
Hayden
Bradman
Smith
Hussey
Miller
Gilchrist +
CTB Turner
Warne
Lillee
Thomson
McGrath

There are a cluster of pre WW1 bowlers who have really good records but I never know how to judge them in these scenarios. Trumble, Giffen and Turner have very good records. Of the three, Turner most likely deserves a spot. I'd set the parameter at ten tests, but in nine against Eng in Aust tests, Turner took 63 wickets. Once again, I think in these scenarios it's better to look at pre WW1 seperately, basically pre and post Hobbs.

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Edrich
Hammond
Botham
Knott
Larwood
Tate
Bedser
Underwood

Once again, a number of early era bowlers probably deserve inclusion, Barnes, Peel & Richardson most notably. A few players didn't meet the criteria of ten tests, but were excellent here, notably Vaughan in his 6 tests here. Ali Cook and Boycott were also very good here, but cannot displace Hobbs, Hutton or Sutcliffe.
Australia are playing with 12 men.

Red

Thanks, I'd put Turner in but then couldn't decide what to do with the pre WW1 guys and forgot to remove him.

ataraxia

International Coach
An interesting proof-of-concept SA XI:

1. BA Richards /
2. TL Goddard / 3
3. HM Amla /
4. J Kallis / 5
5. RG Pollock /
6. AD Nourse /
7. GC Smith* /
8. AB de Villiers / +
9. HJ Tayfield 4
10. DW Steyn 1
11. AA Donald 2

Ofc not a proper ATG side; just conceptual.

Goddard ridiculously economical and bowled a lot.

Interesting overall; this side isn't going to outright lose many matches.

TheJediBrah

An interesting proof-of-concept SA XI:

1. BA Richards /
2. TL Goddard / 3
3. HM Amla /
4. J Kallis / 5
5. RG Pollock /
6. AD Nourse /
7. GC Smith* /
8. AB de Villiers / +
9. HJ Tayfield 4
10. DW Steyn 1
11. AA Donald 2

Ofc not a proper ATG side; just conceptual.

Goddard ridiculously economical and bowled a lot.

Interesting overall; this side isn't going to outright lose many matches.
Classic South African priorities too

Still can't believe when they needed 8 to win and blocked out the over because they were scared of losing

TheJediBrah

Don't know if I'd call Graeme Smith a particularly quick scorer. He was very suited to opening though. Wasn't Barry Richards a bit of a dasher? Might make sense to swap those 2 in the order

ataraxia

International Coach
Don't know if I'd call Graeme Smith a particularly quick scorer. He was very suited to opening though. Wasn't Barry Richards a bit of a dasher? Might make sense to swap those 2 in the order
Smith strikes at 60 and I want to give Richards a prominent role in the side.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
ataraxia - stick with your selection. Barry Richards was one of the truly great openers and no thought should be entertained to having him bat down the order.