• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, he was only showing his disappointment at the boorish though not unexpected behavior of some of the worst racists ever to appear on a cricket field, the leader being the bowler himself.

For once though, they got back what they deserved. Later in the match, Yashpal Sharma and Kapil Dev mouthed off the departing batsmen as you could see in the below clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2SoSL9pU8U
What an outrageous slur. You've been called out on this and the best you've come up with is Gavaskar's version of events in which even he makes no mention of a single racist comment. And that from a bloke who plays the race card more than any other cricketer who's played the game.

Burgey

And I'm not even angry at you, h_hurricane. Or surprised. Far more disappointed in other posters not letting me know there was some Gavaskar bashing to be had and I was missing out. Fer shame.

TheJediBrah

This is the nearest thing I could get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-hEF1RJXjQ

Notice him saying around 3:57 "when I walked off, some of the Australians mentioned something in typical Australian language and later called me by names".

He has also mentioned in one of the commentary stints that he was talked down racially. Obviously, I cannot produce this.
So you're basing all this on one vague comment from a person well-known as being of questionable morals that barely even implies what you're claiming? And somehow you've come up with "the Australians made racist comments to Gavaskar"?

You're generally a pretty sensible guy but something in your thought process has misfired badly here bud

Burgey

So you're basing all this on one vague comment from a person well-known as being of questionable morals that barely even implies what you're claiming? And somehow you've come up with "the Australians made racist comments to Gavaskar"?

You're generally a pretty sensible guy but something in your thought process has misfired badly here bud
No he isn't ffs. Where have you got that idea? This is a terrible take.

TheJediBrah

Well I'm not going to go and add "for an Indian" to my compliment when we're in the middle of an argument about Aus v Ind racist comments am I?

anyway I still rate h-hurricane as a poster from what I've seen

trundler

hh_hurricane is definitely a decent poster. Gets carried away for his heroes but that's hardly unusual (*cough* Border *cough*)

trundler

don’t you have an OT thread you should be weirdly horny in rn or something
Part of what makes me a great poster is what my prolificness is equally spread around both dominant subfora. Besides, I've got it out of my system for the day. :ph34r:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain

I just went by Gavaskar's word on this. I believe the commentary stint was around 2008 or something when the whole Symonds - Harbhajan saga happened. May be he was adding fuel to the fire, I just do not know.

But I hadn't seen this youtube clip until a few years after 2008, so I genuinely thought for many years(in fact until now) that he was right about it.

What amplified my thoughts were the below.

1) He went a good long way towards the pavilion and came back. As per him, uncivilized words spurred him.
2) The fired up Indian team mouthing off the opposition in the last innings. Haven't seen any Indian team do that from that era before or after this.

I could be wrong here. One thing I was sure though is, I am lying only if he himself was lying :)

TheJediBrah

I just went by Gavaskar's word on this. I believe the commentary stint was around 2008 or something when the whole Symonds - Harbhajan saga happened. May be he was adding fuel to the fire, I just do not know.

But I hadn't seen this youtube clip until a few years after 2008, so I genuinely thought for many years(in fact until now) that he was right about it.

What amplified my thoughts were the below.

1) He went a good long way towards the pavilion and came back. As per him, uncivilized words spurred him.
2) The fired up Indian team mouthing off the opposition in the last innings. Haven't seen any Indian team do that from that era before or after this.

I could be wrong here. One thing I was sure though is, I am lying only if he himself was lying :)
which is very likely

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
What an outrageous slur. You've been called out on this and the best you've come up with is Gavaskar's version of events in which even he makes no mention of a single racist comment. And that from a bloke who plays the race card more than any other cricketer who's played the game.
I think you shouldn't be looking at the comments in CW through the lens of a lawyer. It isn't required to produce proofs here. It is a world of lies, damned lies and statistics.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
It's worth noting Hayden in that West Indies series had a heap of run-outs when getting starts - it's plausible that he could well have kicked on with at least one of them.
Yeah, remember that series well. Looked in terrific form in first half of series and was sawn off twice by Slater's erratic running iirc. Did fall away in lattter half of the series though.

I think thing about Hayden until the 2001 India series was that he was a very stodgy, defensive batsman. Even in his good innings he batted very slowly. But that India 2001 series was an obvious turning point in s e lf-belief and he was highly aggressive for the rest of his career.

With regards to England, not surprised he struggled there as his technique always looked iffy in those conditions. Afaik he didn't reach 50 outside at The Oval in two full tours there.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently the turning point for Hayden's MO was in a match batting with Langer. He spoke to Langer and said "If this was a shield match I'd walk down the pitch and snack this guy back over his head", to which Langer replied "do it". It gave him the freedom to become the batsman who smacked 29 hundreds in 81 tests over 8 years.

TheJediBrah

With regards to England, not surprised he struggled there as his technique always looked iffy in those conditions.
This seems to be a widely accepted view, and makes you wonder if he could have been even better statistically if he batted in the middle order

same with Sehwag