• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowling is about who was the best at taking wickets, for the least amount of runs from the fewest possible balls and winning matches. Apparently heavily weighed for longevity and wickets per match which favors spinners and bowlers who played on weaker teams. No problem with Murali being #1 though, statistically the closest cricketer to Bradman or even possibly even if one factors in pure volume of wickets

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I doubt he's going to lose any sleep over the fact that a couple of people don't agree with the odd person being ranked above another. It's a statistical ranking FFS.
Especially since the vast majority of complaints since I posted it seem to revolve around the fact that - gasp - players who have performed well since I posted didn't have their future performances predicted at the time. :ph34r:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
How could you not have taken Amla and Bell's respective future performances into account? Can't rely on you to do anything right it seems :ph34r:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Donald above Steyn..... RIDICULOUS!!
I would more disagree with Pollock ahead of Donald. Or maybe I just don't rate Pollock because my last memories of him were his years of bowling at 125kph and getting carted all over the park in ODIs.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Pollock is rated above Donald by 0.003 points. If he'd retired a couple of months earlier, he would probably be below.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Pollock is rated above Donald by 0.003 points. If he'd retired a couple of months earlier, he would probably be below.
Yeah, but to me Donald is quite comfortably ahead of Pollock. As I said, may be viewing bias but to me Donald always led Pollock quite comfortably, regardless of stats.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Pollock was always a clear number two to Donald in my mind so Donald for me should always be a head of Polly and quite frankly it's not close.

watson

Banned
When Donald and Pollock bowled together there wasn't a whole lot of difference between their bowling averages :-

Donald alone = 122 wickets at 22.66
Donald with Pollock = 208 wickets at 22.02

Pollock alone = 232 wickets at 24.31
Pollock with Donald = 189 wickets at 21.66

Look at how close Donald's and Pollock's figures are. The averages are all around 22, the best in this analysis. Donald bowled as effectively without Pollock while Pollock needed the pace of Donald a bit more.

Top Bowling Pairs at Work: A Fresh Look
It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Right Handed XI

- Sunil Gavaskar
- Jack Hobbs
- Don Bradman
- Greg Chappell
- Viv Richards
- Keith Miller
- Alan Knott
- Imran Khan
- Malcolm Marshall
- Shane Warne
- Dennis Lillee

vs

Left Handed XI

- Arthur Morris
- Bill Lawry
- Neil Harvey
- Brian Lara
- Garry Sobers
- Frank Woolley
- Adam Gilchrist
- Allan Davidson
- Wasim Akram
- Hedley Verity
- Bishen Bedi

watson

Banned
Now wondering why there aren't more than 2 world class left-arm fast bowlers when there are any number of world class batsman and quite a few spinners.

Jager

International Debutant
Taking SA's current side as an example, they have such a brilliant bowling unit. So much variation.

Steyn (fast outswing, hostile, extremely intelligent bowler) - Philander (line and length, some swing, fast medium, relentless) - Morkel (height, corridor bowler) - Kallis (remarkable partnership breaking fast medium bowler who bats in the top order) - Peterson (a spinner)

An ATG version of that could be

Marshall-Davidson-Ambrose-Miller-Warne

or

Marshall-Davidson-Ambrose-Procter-Warne

Huge fan of my sleep deprived thoughts at the moment.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Now wondering why there aren't more than 2 world class left-arm fast bowlers when there are any number of world class batsman and quite a few spinners.
That's a pretty easy question. A fair few of those batsmen will be right handed people who just picked a bat up the wrong way around. I'm one, and there are heaps more. Just from memory current right-handed players who bat left handed include Smith, both Morkels, Anderson, James Franklin, Colin Munro etc.