• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
If it were an all pace attack then Prior wouldn't give you any issues behind the sticks, but since it contains Laker and Barnes I'd expect a few missed chances from him.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
England XI:
Hutton (c)
Hobbs
Barrington
Hammond
May
Botham
Prior (wk)
Larwood
Trueman
Laker
Barnes

This is based off my ratings, with one wildcard (Larwood) thrown in.

I can choose any keeper I want, and I've gone for Prior, since Botham is a bit high at no.6 for an alltime team, and the tail is quite long. Really think Prior will be solid enough behind the stumps. The bowling attack covers all bases. A speedster to intimidate, a great allround fast bowler, a third-seamer with the knack of picking up wickets and who can run in all day, a classical off-spinner, and Barnes, who probably spun them away from the right-hander.
Personally would have Ames if I wanted an wicketkeeper batsman.

watson

Banned
Les Ames best average of 58.57 is against New Zealand. However, against Australia it is less than half that at 27.00.

Therefore, Prior and Knott seem better choices to me as the former is probably a better batsman, and the latter an equivalent batsman, but better keeper.

Just a thought......

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Too much emphasis on longevity for my liking. Goddard above Snow, Botham, Tate and Verity is ITSTL.

And then Larwood is 157 places too low for my liking.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Too much emphasis on longevity for my liking.
Yeah mine too at the top end really but if it wasn't like that then Philander would probably be in the top ten. Need to make a more complex equation for how it deals with different amounts of longevity as how I and most other people view it isn't exactly linear.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bill Johnston gets in the spinners list - I mean I appreciate he did bowl a bit of slow left arm but how many wickets did it take - a dozen?

and then Abdul Qadir doesn't - his methodology doesn't appear totally absurd, but I am struggling to take those lists seriously

watson

Banned
Bill Johnston gets in the spinners list - I mean I appreciate he did bowl a bit of slow left arm but how many wickets did it take - a dozen?

and then Abdul Qadir doesn't - his methodology doesn't appear totally absurd, but I am struggling to take those lists seriously
And Kumble coming in as 5th best ever spinner is a bit how's yer father.

However, I did like his middle era (1920-1969) bowling attack. Shows reasonable taste;

Trueman - Larwood - Davidson - Grimmett - Bedi

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be interesting to see the most recent version of this list - particularly after you've solved the conundrum of over-weighting longevity.

I might have mentioned this before, but I'm really surprised by some of the bowlers whose averages ease under standardisation - McGrath in particular taking a bigger hit to his average than many of the great pacemen of the '80s and '90s, despite playing a lot more of his career in what most of us consider a far more batsman-friendly era. He takes a bigger hit than Murali as well, despite Murali playing a far higher percentage of his Tests against the likes of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

I've got no issue with Murali at number one, incidentally, but I just find McGrath's numbers a bit of an anomaly.