Page 69 of 201 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 3002
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Good point - is a 'competent wicket-taking 5th bowler' really that necessary to an ATG team? Probably, but I'm not sure.
    Probably not.

With Imran, Wasim, Murali, and Waqar at their peak they should be able to bundle out the opposition among themselves.

They would only need someone to turn their arm over. For a few overs I suppose and Sehwag should be able to bowl 5 overs of spin or so?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Probably not.

With Imran, Wasim, Murali, and Waqar at their peak they should be able to bundle out the opposition among themselves.

They would only need someone to turn their arm over. For a few overs I suppose and Sehwag should be able to bowl 5 overs of spin or so?
    That was their peak in test cricket though. This is the level above against all-time great batsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    That was their peak in test cricket though. This is the level above against all-time great batsmen.
    Yeah. I don't think you need five frontline bowlers (as I explained above ), but you do need a competent fifth bowler, and I'm not sure Sehwag would qualify at the level above. He's close though; I actually think he should've bowled a lot more throughout his career. Would depend on the pitch really.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    It's basically all top test players at their peak playing in against each other.

Sehwag can turn his arm over and has a SR comparable to Sehwag . 5 overs per day might be ok to be handed over to him

Asian XI
    01. Sunil Gavaskar
    02. Virendar Sehwag
    03. Rahul Dravid
    04. Sachin Tendulkar
    05. Javed Miandad
    06. Mohd Yousuf
    07. K Sangakkara +
    08. Imran Khan*
    09. Wasim Akram
    10. Waqar Younis
    11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Could never have Sanga keeping - Engineer would be a great choice if you were after a wicketkeeper batsman of superb quality
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Interesting question...

Who would you take out of Dravid and Sangakkara as a number three batsman (with no wicketkeeping duties)?

Almost impossible to split them I reckon, but they're probably vying for the one spot in this Asian XI.

I don't mind Sanga as a keeper, but he seems a lot more valuable to his team when he isn't keeping anyway.

Others will know more about Asian XIs than me, but I'd go for...

- Gavaskar
    - Sehwag
    - Sangakkara
    - Tendulkar
    - Miandad
    - Hazare/ Kapil Dev
    - Imran (c)
    - Engineer (wk)
    - Wasim Akram
    - Waqar Younis
    - Muralitharan

That team would take some beating.

Could interchange Hazare and Kapil, but I don't think the extra bowler is vital. I do love Kapil though.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Interesting question...

Who would you take out of Dravid and Sangakkara as a number three batsman (with no wicketkeeping duties)?

Almost impossible to split them I reckon, but they're probably vying for the one spot in this Asian XI.

I don't mind Sanga as a keeper, but he seems a lot more valuable to his team when he isn't keeping anyway.
    Bloody tough, would take Dravid myself. Scored more of his runs against tougher opposition (without checking the stats, this is a risky statement)

I rate Sanga very very highly. Averages 65 against Australia in Australia during the era that Australia have been powerful. And he's been pretty good against all teams on all continents.

Dravid has been less successful against Australia, which is a good indication in this era I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I rate Sanga very very highly. Averages 65 against Australia in Australia during the era that Australia have been powerful. And he's been pretty good against all teams on all continents.

Dravid has been less successful against Australia, which is a good indication in this era I reckon.
    From three matches IIRC, which doesn't mean much at all - I think it all came from one innings too, 192 off the top of my head. Sanga has a record very easy to nitpick

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Could never have Sanga keeping - Engineer would be a great choice if you were after a wicketkeeper batsman of superb quality
    Sanga would average around 40 with the bat as keeper?

I have Dravid as number 3 so I get a good wk with a batting avg of 40 which is pretty good for a wk

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Sanga would average around 40 with the bat as keeper?

I have Dravid as number 3 so I get a good wk with a batting avg of 40 which is pretty good for a wk
    Yes but you take a big blow with regards to wicketkeeping skills. Personally I am a huge fan of Kirmani too, just gave his numbers a quick glance and he wasn't too shabby with the willow either

Sanga was a decent keeper wasn't he or was he bad? Was he in the Gilchrist league as a keeper? I don't remember his wk days too much.

Sangakkara was a very good wicket keeper. Just because he could bat doesn't mean his keeping was poor. Was about as good as Gilchrist with the gloves IMO.

Thread Information