• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I don’t want to be a ****, but just want to point out that Hutton didn’t have a great tour in 1954/55. He was probably finished as a truly great batsmen by then, He was at his best in 1950/51 and 1953.
Similar to a lot of players I guess, some just play that one series too many. (Even Hobbs in 1930!)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair to Hobbs in 1930, feeling concerned by his form, he offered to stand down but the selectors declined his suggestion & insisted on playing him.

srbhkshk

International Captain
McGrath - not that I feel you'd lose anything with Hadlee but McGrath's performance on the roads of 00s was exceptional.

bagapath

International Captain
As I've always maintained hadlee is second to none... Not even McGrath or Marshall. All three are are inseparable

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Another random question, who is the greater cricketer among Imran, Hadlee and Marshall ? For once, lets ignore who fits ATG XI more.

Logan

U19 Captain
I was reading today about Hadlee.

Between 1930-1975, NZ won 5 Tests. Between 1975-1991, NZ won 25 Tests. Hadlee was involved in 21 of those Tests. In those 21 Tests, he took 166 wickets.

Hadlee was the number one bowler for four straight years from 1984-1988. A remarkable feat considering some of the greatest fast bowlers played back then.

Hadlee helped NZ to win a Test series against West Indies in 1979 and managed to draw a Test series against them in 1987.

Personally, I don’t think Hadlee is inferior to even Malcolm Marshall. Unlike Marshall, Hadlee didn’t have the luxury of another great bowler like Roberts, Holding, Garner, Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop applying pressure on the other end or be happy knowing someone like Richards, Greenidge, Haynes, Lyold or Richardson would chase down any target with ease.

Logan

U19 Captain
Another random question, who is the greater cricketer among Imran, Hadlee and Marshall ? For once, lets ignore who fits ATG XI more.
As bowlers : Marshall=Hadlee> Imran

As batsmen : Imran > Hadlee > Marshall

All Rounders : Imran > Hadlee

Richard Hadlee had a bigger impact on NZ cricket than Imran Khan had on Pak cricket. While Pakistan had another superstar in Javed Miandad and an upcoming legend in Wasim Akram during Imran’s playing days, Hadlee was a one man army.

Between 1930 - 1975 : NZ won 5 Tests

Between 1975 - 1991 : NZ won 25 Tests

Between 1991 - 1996 : NZ won 5 Tests

Not sure if any other cricketer had a bigger impact on his team’s fortunes than Hadlee had on NZ cricket.

With all due respect to Martin Crowe, I feel Hadlee is the only Top Tier retired great cricketer NZ has produced so far.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Between 1930-1975, NZ won 5 Tests. Between 1975-1991, NZ won 25 Tests. Hadlee was involved in 21 of those Tests. In those 21 Tests, he took 166 wickets.

Hadlee was the number one bowler for four straight years from 1984-1988. A remarkable feat considering some of the greatest fast bowlers played back then.

Hadlee helped NZ to win a Test series against West Indies in 1979 and managed to draw a Test series against them in 1987.

Personally, I don’t think Hadlee is inferior to even Malcolm Marshall. Unlike Marshall, Hadlee didn’t have the luxury of another great bowler like Roberts, Holding, Garner, Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop applying pressure on the other end or be happy knowing someone like Richards, Greenidge, Haynes, Lyold or Richardson would chase down any target with ease.
Last time I checked, Hadlee was man of the series in all test series that NZ won and those that declared such an award during his playing years. He is firmly in my top 5 greatest cricketers of all time although Steven Smith might push him out.

h_hurricane

These are some very valid points. Being the only true quality bowler in your team is incredibly tough. Richard Hadlee was as good as any bowler in history.

Logan

U19 Captain
He is firmly in my top 5 greatest cricketers of all time although Steven Smith might push him out.
Just curious. Who are your Top 5 cricketers?

Bradman is obviously the best. I guess Sobers and Sachin would be there too. I don’t think Murali would be there since most people often ignore him despite his unbreakable records.

h_hurricane

My Top 5 would be

Sobers
Bradman
Viv
Imran
Hadlee

I know Viv is not statistically up there, just some personal bias :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Just curious. Who are your Top 5 cricketers?

Bradman is obviously the best. I guess Sobers and Sachin would be there too. I don’t think Murali would be there since most people often ignore him despite his unbreakable records.
Bradman, Sobers, Imran, Muralidharan, Hadlee

I know 2 other guys over here at some point had these 5 albeit in different order.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I do feel people are jumping the gun here with respect to Steve Smith. I am not suggesting he is not an ATG already but sometimes you do have let a career play out before making huge claims. I mean, if you are calling him one of your top 5 greatest cricketers of all time, that is ridiculously high even given what he has racked up so far.

Somehow I feel like going back and reading all the Mike Hussey is the next best after Bradman threads :) Again, this is just a personal opinion and I can completely see why folks rate him the way they do and he has had a phenomenal career already.

Also worth pointing out I was one of his earlier backers here. Folks can read the Australia in India thread in 2013 during the 4-0 drubbing and see. :)

EDIT: On the other running topics, I was not lucky enough to catch Hadlee during his playing days, but I have personally always put Ambrose above McGrath. Not by much but I guess, just personal preference.

Last edited: