• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I once thought about this and 2004 is madly good in terms of batters.

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Waugh
Clarke
Lehmann
Jayasuriya
Atapattu
Dilshan
Sangakkara
Jayawardene
Tendulkar
Dravid
Laxman
Sehwag
Gambhir
Ganguly
Pietersen
Strauss
Fleming
McCullum
Inzamam
Younis
Yousuf
Misbah
Saeed
Kallis
Amla
de Villiers
Kirsten
Lara
Chanderpaul
Gayle

I'll try 1946:

L Hutton
AR Morris
DG Bradman
WR Hammond - 5
GH Headley
AD Nourse (just beating Compton)
RR Lindwall
D Tallon +
WJ O'Reilly
AV Bedser
J Cowie

Nowhere near as good as yours.
Woof, yeah that 2004 batting roster is pretty insane. Bond & Anderson would be a good shout to make up the bowling attack.

And I actually think that 1946 side would give the 2000 side a huge run for its money (and probably beat them tbh). Miller unlucky not to make the side though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The noughties were generally extremely tilted towards batsmen though. Always has to have that disclaimer when we talk of that era.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
1980 is pretty strong...

Gordon Greenidge
Sunil Gavaskar
Vivian Richards
Javed Miandad
Greg Chappell
Ian Botham
Imran Khan*
Alan Knott+
Richard Hadlee
Dennis Lillee
Derek Underwood

^ Quite notably, you could add just about any Windies quick you wanted to that lineup & it would be just as good.

Huge depth too.

1980 'A' team

Graham Gooch
Geoff Boycott
David Gower
Allan Border*
Zaheer Abbas
Kapil Dev
Jeff Dujon+
Abdul Qadir
Michael Holding
Joel Garner
Bob Willis

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Team of 2019:

Mayank Agarwal
Tom Latham
Kane Williamson
Steven Smith
Virat Kohli *
Ben Stokes
BJ Watling +
R Ashwin
Neil Wagner
Mohammed Shami
Ishant Sharma

Did not pick Bumrah or Umesh despite averaging 13.xx because they only played 3 and 4 tests respectively. Wagner also played only 4 tests but took 4 fivers. Cummins had a good year and his ICC ratings are through the roof but didn't quite have the average comparable to others and only 1 fiver. Also when do I get to pick to Indian Seamers in the team? :ph34r:

Spinners choice was tricky. Lyon seems to have had an average year, same for Jadeja. Rashid Khan has great figures but didn't play strong teams. Settled for Ashwin who found some form in the domestic games.

Rohit Sharma averages 90 for the year, but all of it at home and there are good substitutes available for opener's slot unlike spinner's slot.

Edit: Kane Williamson in place of Marnus Labuschagne

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is simply not true either.. Windies won a bunch against India in India with 4 seamers. Something that Aussie side could never do (bagel India in India in a test series). The point here is unless it is an absolute rank turner, Warne is really not gonna make a difference AFAIC, especially given the quality of whoever the 4th seamer is in the 80s Windies side. Even Australia won in India when they finally played with 3 seamers and stopped picking a spinner just for the sake of it. And Hooper did bowl a lot in the 90s, but not in the 80s. Also, fun fact, Harper, who was their main spinner in the 80s, averages 28 or 29 per wicket. Not all that far off Warney as you may have thought. :)
Harper barely bowled though. Probably only came on for long spells in favorable situations.

As for beating India in India, so what? The 80s Indian team were pretty poor. The Indian side was way better by the late 90s/ early 00s, particularly at home.

The point is that if there's nothing in the pitch for the seamers the West Indies didn't have a plan b. It was ok during the 70s and 80s where pitches were generally more favorable to pace and the quality of the West Indies was high enough that they had bowlers who could create opportunities even when the pitch wasn't offering anything.

Anyway, it's a glaring weakness in the West Indies side and a bigger hole to fill than Australia's third seamer weakness. Personally I also don't think the quicks would be quite so intimidating in the current era, with all the protection on offer. They'd still be ATG bowlers but I'm not sure they'd scare so many batsmen the way they did in the 80s.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a tough call to make in regards to modern protective gear, but from personal experience, even when wearing a helmet and/or thigh pad, if some tearaway digs in a quick bouncer aimed at my head, my instinct is to gtfo of the way regardless. IMO reflexes are always a big factor.

Then again, it's pretty silly to compare myself to cricketers who are 1,000x better than I could ever dream to be on my best day.

ataraxia

International Coach
1980 is pretty strong...

Gordon Greenidge
Sunil Gavaskar
Vivian Richards
Javed Miandad
Greg Chappell
Ian Botham
Imran Khan*
Alan Knott+
Richard Hadlee
Dennis Lillee
Derek Underwood

^ Quite notably, you could add just about any Windies quick you wanted to that lineup & it would be just as good.

Huge depth too.

1980 'A' team

Graham Gooch
Geoff Boycott
David Gower
Allan Border*
Zaheer Abbas
Kapil Dev
Jeff Dujon+
Abdul Qadir
Michael Holding
Joel Garner
Bob Willis
Marshall did play then; not sure if in 1980 but pretty sure he made his debut in 78/79. Border shouldn't really be left out for any of Miandad, Chappell, or Botham IMO.

ataraxia

International Coach
Woof, yeah that 2004 batting roster is pretty insane. Bond & Anderson would be a good shout to make up the bowling attack.

And I actually think that 1946 side would give the 2000 side a huge run for its money (and probably beat them tbh). Miller unlucky not to make the side though.
Forgot Miller, I'd bring him in as a bowling all-rounder for Cowie.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall did play then; not sure if in 1980 but pretty sure he made his debut in 78/79. Border shouldn't really be left out for any of Miandad, Chappell, or Botham IMO.
Good call, thought Marshall was a 1981 debutante for some reason. Border is by all means an excellent call. How would your 1980 XI look?

ataraxia

International Coach
It would look rather weird. I'm counting Saffers here.

S Gavaskar
B Richards
IVA Richards
RG Pollock
GS Chappell
AR Border
Imran Khan*
MJ Procter
APE Knott +
RJ Hadlee
MM Marshall

Without South Africans:

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Richards
Chappell
Miandad
Border
Imran*
Knott +
Hadlee
Marshall
Garner/Underwood

Yeah I'm a Lillee hater. Border can serve as a spinner, Underwood isn't really good enough to be ahead of the likes of Procter and Garner IMO.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
For 1946 it depends how you define “active” as SA and WI didn’t play any Tests that year.

1930 gives you Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Headley, Hammond, McCabe, Cameron/Ames, Constantine, Tate, Larwood, Grimmett

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
No room for Wilf, Andrew?

Problem is it'd be criminal to remove any of the players in your 1930 team. Though if it were a turning deck, who would you choose as your 2nd spinner?

As an aside, that top 6 is just otherworldly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Harper barely bowled though. Probably only came on for long spells in favorable situations.

As for beating India in India, so what? The 80s Indian team were pretty poor. The Indian side was way better by the late 90s/ early 00s, particularly at home.

The point is that if there's nothing in the pitch for the seamers the West Indies didn't have a plan b. It was ok during the 70s and 80s where pitches were generally more favorable to pace and the quality of the West Indies was high enough that they had bowlers who could create opportunities even when the pitch wasn't offering anything.

Anyway, it's a glaring weakness in the West Indies side and a bigger hole to fill than Australia's third seamer weakness. Personally I also don't think the quicks would be quite so intimidating in the current era, with all the protection on offer. They'd still be ATG bowlers but I'm not sure they'd scare so many batsmen the way they did in the 80s.
I would love to see how many tests other teams won against India in India in the 80s. I am not talking about being defeated by India. But India were strong enough to hold off most other good teams and attacks to draws in favorable conditions. And the ATG Australia team only managed to win there once, for all this talk about them being better balanced and what not. And they drew against India in Australia too. You don't know if Windies were ever good or bad with their plan B because their plan A almost always worked. We do know about the ATG Australia's plan B and it DID NOT work against India in India. And if you think a side with Sadagopan Ramesh and Shiv Sundar Das opening was better than the one that played in the 80s, I don't know what to tell you. The entire 2001 series was basically Dravid, Laxman, Sachin, Harbhajan Vs Australia and they still won. Same with Windies in 99 against Australia - basically Ambrose, Walsh and Lara were enough to make 2-2 (result may well have been different in Antigua too had Lara's injury not flared up again, limiting him severely with the bat in that test).

So the point is, irrespective of all your obvious one-eyed opinions that you are trying to pass off as facts, Windies in the 80s had a much more rounded record than Australia of the 90s and noughties. And that is a glaring weakness in the Australian side and a much much bigger hole to fill than Windies spinner weakness. Personally, I don't think Warne would have really done anything of note against that Windies line up, he will still be an ATG bowler but I am not sure he will hoodwink so many batsmen as he did in the 90s and 00s.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
from 1991

possibly the best xi of the past 45 years could be built from this year alone

greenidge
gooch
richards *
tendulkar
lara
imran
hadlee
healy +
marshall
warne
ambrose

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
The 80s Indian team were pretty poor. The Indian side was way better by the late 90s/ early 00s, particularly at home.
The Indian team of 80s was better than indian team of 90s. Growing up and watching cricket from early 90s, I could vividly remember that there was a sense of hopelessness in that Indian team. Not even a single victory outside subcontinent through this decade. We got beaten by Zimbabwe in late 90s lol. Whereas, in 80s, we achieved quite a bit. Held Australia to 2 drawn series down under, won 2-0 in England. India was made to look a bit worse than we were, by the ATG WI team, as simple as that.

Plan B is over-rated. Plan A would work well in even alien conditions. Proof needed ? Watch Holding's bowling on a flat pitch in Oval 76 or Marshall's and Holding's performances in India in 1983. And we are adding Ambrose and Garner.

The real glaring weakness would be the Aussie attack with just 2 ATG bowlers. The depth of that lineup could be exposed, Kolkata 2001 being one fine example.

Slifer

International Captain
The Indian team of 80s was better than indian team of 90s. Growing up and watching cricket from early 90s, I could vividly remember that there was a sense of hopelessness in that Indian team. Not even a single victory outside subcontinent through this decade. We got beaten by Zimbabwe in late 90s lol. Whereas, in 80s, we achieved quite a bit. Held Australia to 2 drawn series down under, won 2-0 in England. India was made to look a bit worse than we were, by the ATG WI team, as simple as that.

Plan B is over-rated. Plan A would work well in even alien conditions. Proof needed ? Watch Holding's bowling on a flat pitch in Oval 76 or Marshall's and Holding's performances in India in 1983. And we are adding Ambrose and Garner.

The real glaring weakness would be the Aussie attack with just 2 ATG bowlers. The depth of that lineup could be exposed, Kolkata 2001 being one fine example.
Can't say that I agree that India 90s was worse than their 80s counterparts. Obviously, stephen is making his over the top assertions to prove that Oz beat a better team than wi 80s (even though the oz away win was in 04). But the 90s Indian team especially at home were tough. And the 2000 teams tougher. What Australia did in 04 was monumental, no two ways about that. And even though the 80s Indian teams were slightly weaker (not far worse per Stephen) wi blanking them in both the tests and odis was outstanding. And FWIW wi also blanked Pakistan in the tests and odis in the 80s series in Pakistan. That imo was just as impressive.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
from 1991

possibly the best xi of the past 45 years could be built from this year alone

greenidge
gooch
richards *
tendulkar
lara
imran
hadlee
healy +
marshall
warne
ambrose
Hadlee played his last professional cricket game in 1990

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
from 2000

Langer
Hayden
Lara
Tendulkar
Waugh*
Kallis
Gilchrist
Wasim
Warne
Ambrose
McGrath

other players who were playing in 2000: murali, donald, pollock, walsh, flower, sanga, inzamam, younis, yousuf, anwar, ponting, dravid