• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see Imran rates Sylvers too - will always be the best of the lot for me, save possibly Maco, but then I've said that before, ad nauseum probably

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Good to see Imran rates Sylvers too - will always be the best of the lot for me, save possibly Maco, but then I've said that before, ad nauseum probably
Has there been anyone of similar bowling style to Clarke? I know very little about him.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Which is the best middle order in history:

Compton, May, Cowdrey
Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman
Worrell, Weekes, Walcott
Bradman, Harvey, Hassett
Kanhai, Sobers, Nurse

watson

Banned
We could also add;

I.Chappell - G.Chappell - Walters

Richards - Kallicharran - Lloyd

Ponting - M.Waugh - S.Waugh

Bradman - Kippax - McCabe

And a personal favourite;

Hammond - Leyland - Hendren

Last edited:

watson

Banned
In relative terms Khawaja is microns away from Gary Sobers when compared to Phil Hughes and Viv Richards who is the same distance as the Milky Way is from Andromeda.

Sorry, not a Phil Hughes fan at all.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Partnership XI

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe

Don Bradman

Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Joel Garner
Glenn Mcgrath

Bradman and Sobers have to be pat of any team, but which partnership should take the #4 and #5 slot.

watson

Banned
Partnership XI

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe

Don Bradman

Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Joel Garner
Glenn Mcgrath

Bradman and Sobers have to be pat of any team, but which partnership should take the #4 and #5 slot.
No one would fall asleep with a middle order of;

Bradman
Lara
G.Pollock
Sobers

(I'm in the middle of a 'Lara is the second best batsman ever phase')

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Which is the best middle order in history:

Compton, May, Cowdrey
Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman
Worrell, Weekes, Walcott
Bradman, Harvey, Hassett
Kanhai, Sobers, Nurse
Worrell, Weekes, Walcott. Fun stats.

Also fits in with your partnership XI, kyear, plug Weekes and Walcott in there and you have a gun team. Plus they're partners with Sobers. Which leaves Bradman as the sole exception, though, if you wanted a pure partnership XI, shove in Hammond.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Partnership XI

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe

Don Bradman

Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Joel Garner
Glenn Mcgrath

We all like to fit Sobers at number six, which is understandable for he gives you the option to fit in some top drawer batsmen above him and below the openers ( or below the Don if it is an ATG world xi. But is that really what a captain would do knowing the gifts of Sobers as a batsman and without the historical baggage of his magnificent record at all positions from 3 to 7 .

Since no one ever puts him at 7 ( where he averages 67+ with 610 runs) lets see how he fares at the other four

# 3 - 72.1
# 4 - 63.8
# 5 - 59.2
# 6 - 53.4

Why must he bat at number six is a question we must ask ourselves. He walks into any ATG side on the strength of his batting alone and this is acknowledged by all cricketers and the top writers of the game, even without bothering to go into the comparative stats of others.

It is understandable that in an ATG World XI the one drop spot is reserved for the Don, why should Sobers not bat at four. The reasons for his not batting at number three for the West Indies, after his batting talent flowered in the late fifties, are well recorded but there is no reason to have him bat anywhere else other than the spot which would do most good for the side. There have been few cricketers in the history of the game, barring Bradman, with the unique talent of building big innings while remaining a supremely aggressive stroke player and this was because he was a stroke player with impeccable technique.

The fact that he scored so many big hundreds in the lower half of the West Indian side and rescued his side so often in the company of the tail only makes the mind boggle at what he would have done with the cream of the West Indian side for company. To conclude, in a convoluted twist of logic, from his awesome record in the company of tail-enders that he would, somehow, not do as well higher up the order is unfair to one of the greatest batsmen the world has seen and the greatest left hander ever.

Coming to a West Indian side and in the context of the limited and non-serious purpose of choosing ATG sides with restrictions, it is interesting to see how Sobers and the three W's fared at different places in the order.

Walcott :

I take him first since other than Sobers, he has the finest record in all four positions under debate

3 - 51.9
4 - 78.4
5 - 59.2
6 - 72.3

It is interesting to see how most batsmen fare better at number 4 than at number 3 . I am also reminded, again and again, of Bedser's comment on how, after the openers the next best technique against the moving ball is required of the one drop and then by the number five( who often gets to face the second new ball) Numbers 4 and 6 are relatively cushier assignments than the one just preceding them.

Batting at these four positions, these four scored 6004 runs in Test matches at a combined average of 64.6

Worrell
3 - 54.0
4 - 76.2
5 - 59.5

Weekes

3 - 60.1
4 - 63.2

So if one was to choose the best numbers 3-6 for West Indies, who actually played together, you can't look much beyond these four. In an exercise, just for fun, I found that the best order for these four is
Code:
[B]#    Player.   Runs.       Avg.    100's.   Highest[/B]

3.   Sobers.    1009       72.1.     3.        365 no (his best)
4.   Weekes.    3372.      63.6.     11.       207 (his best)
5.   Worrell.   1189.      59.5.      3.       197 no
6.   Walcott.   434.       72.3.     3.        168 no

[B]Overall.         6004.     64.6.      20.      365 no (a world record for decades)[/B]
Maybe one will find another foursome with an equally awesome record batting at these four positions and it will be fun looking at those :-)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Really, most people are picking Sobers at six anticipating that he'll have some bowling to do, aren't you? :) Mind you, he' probably rather get all his work done as early as possible so he can slip off and have a good rest after playing, rather than before batting.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Really, most people are picking Sobers at six anticipating that he'll have some bowling to do, aren't you? :) Mind you, he' probably rather get all his work done as early as possible so he can slip off and have a good rest after playing, rather than before batting.
Nah, he'll be too busy taking his amazing catches. Also, thanks for that post SJS, very informative as always!

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Interesting re. Sobers SJS.

For my ATG sides, like everyone, it's inevitable that Bradman is at 3. Then I gravitate between Hammond, Pollock, Tendulkar & Lara at #4. 5 and 6 are always Viv and Sobers. After the openers, Bradman, and whichever #4 plays, I want Viv and Sobers to absolutely cane the bowlers. Having Gilly as keeper (which I usually don't), makes this even more brutal. I love the thought of Viv, Sobers and Gilchrist...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is true that Sobers did a lot of bowling in a West Indies side which did not have the unending pool of bowlers that they had after his retirement. Particularly in the second half of his career, he used himself almsot like a stock bowler which really took a heavy toll on him phyisically. Any lesser athlete than him would have crumbled under the workload for he combined his heavy duties with West Indies with full workloads as a county professional and many seasons in the Australian domestic seasons. On top of that he was a part of all World XI versus the rest type of games and played them with the same seriousness and his performances there too were mind boggling. On top of that he rarely, if ever, refused any requests for exhibition games from around the globe and since he was, by a HUUUUUGE mile the greatest draw in the game, he got many such requests.

In his first 35 Test matches he bore a relatively more reasonable workload of 24 overs per Test. Over the next 35 it nearly doubled to 47 per Test !!

Even as he was approaching the end of a 20 year long Test career he bowled an amazing 42 overs per Test in the last 23 Test matches with as many as 223 in the last four !!

Remember he was 40 when he stopped playing in Tests. I have absolutely no doubt that if West Indies had the fast bowling resources they got from the late 80's onwards while Sobers was captain, not only would he have been able to extend his international career but that his bowling returns would have been far far more impressive than they appear to the from his average/strike rate.

It was clear from the latter part of his career that his best and strongest suite in four different types of bowling genres was as a fast medium left arm swing bowler. He was the best left armer i that genre in the world in these years and with a couple of other bowlers, he could have bowled in shorter, deadlier bursts rather than the hour long (and more) marathons he had to indulge in. Not that he either complained or bothered about what it did to his stats. The stats had to take care of themselves, Gary couldn't be bothered with them.

Similarly, with lesser work load as a stock bowler, he could have batted higher up and scored even more than the awesome record he produced.

L Trumper

State Regular
Interesting re. Sobers SJS.

For my ATG sides, like everyone, it's inevitable that Bradman is at 3. Then I gravitate between Hammond, Pollock, Tendulkar & Lara at #4. 5 and 6 are always Viv and Sobers. After the openers, Bradman, and whichever #4 plays, I want Viv and Sobers to absolutely cane the bowlers. Having Gilly as keeper (which I usually don't), makes this even more brutal. I love the thought of Viv, Sobers and Gilchrist...
More or less same reasons for me also. Don at 3, Sachin at 4, Viv at 5, Sobers at 6, Gilly at 7.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It is true that Sobers did a lot of bowling in a West Indies side which did not have the unending pool of bowlers that they had after his retirement. Particularly in the second half of his career, he used himself almsot like a stock bowler which really took a heavy toll on him phyisically. Any lesser athlete than him would have crumbled under the workload for he combined his heavy duties with West Indies with full workloads as a county professional and many seasons in the Australian domestic seasons. On top of that he was a part of all World XI versus the rest type of games and played them with the same seriousness and his performances there too were mind boggling. On top of that he rarely, if ever, refused any requests for exhibition games from around the globe and since he was, by a HUUUUUGE mile the greatest draw in the game, he got many such requests.

In his first 35 Test matches he bore a relatively more reasonable workload of 24 overs per Test. Over the next 35 it nearly doubled to 47 per Test !!

Even as he was approaching the end of a 20 year long Test career he bowled an amazing 42 overs per Test in the last 23 Test matches with as many as 223 in the last four !!

Remember he was 40 when he stopped playing in Tests. I have absolutely no doubt that if West Indies had the fast bowling resources they got from the late 80's onwards while Sobers was captain, not only would he have been able to extend his international career but that his bowling returns would have been far far more impressive than they appear to the from his average/strike rate.

It was clear from the latter part of his career that his best and strongest suite in four different types of bowling genres was as a fast medium left arm swing bowler. He was the best left armer i that genre in the world in these years and with a couple of other bowlers, he could have bowled in shorter, deadlier bursts rather than the hour long (and more) marathons he had to indulge in. Not that he either complained or bothered about what it did to his stats. The stats had to take care of themselves, Gary couldn't be bothered with them.

Similarly, with lesser work load as a stock bowler, he could have batted higher up and scored even more than the awesome record he produced.
Superbly articulated as usual, and all good reasons as to why Sobers is without doubt one of the two top Test Cricketers of All Time, .......but who is number three.
To be continued.

watson

Banned
More or less same reasons for me also. Don at 3, Sachin at 4, Viv at 5, Sobers at 6, Gilly at 7.
There has always been a question mark (albeit a small one) hanging over Viv Richards with respect to spin bowling. So while he can throttle any pace attack, I don't think he could do the same against quality spin bowling.

Tendulkar was beautiful to watch against spin bowlers like Warne, and was equally good against fast bowlers. That's why his away record is so good. However, Tendulkar rarely, if ever, dominated a Test series. He is just not the dominating type.

Which is why Lara and Graeme Pollock are preferable to Viv Richards and Tendulkar. Both batsman had no problem smashing either a pace or spin attack, or dominating an entire Test series with the bat.