"The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber
RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.
I'm going to go ahead and pick an XI that succeeded routinely in crap conditions (top-class bowling/batting attacks, performance pressure, bad wickets relative to their role):
Presenting the Adversity XI:
1. G Boycott (very low standard deviation from his Test average of 48, superb record against Windies)
2. L Hutton (played a ridiculous amount of tremendous innings on sticky wickets)
3. RN Harvey (see Hutton)
4. AR Border (duh)
5. SR Waugh* (away average is almost 9 runs higher than his home record)
6. A Flower+ (held an entire minnow nation together for a decade)
7. N Kapil Dev (played half of matches on dustbowls)
8. H Verity (bowled on 1930s decks against the likes of Bradman, Ponsford and McCabe)
9. Wasim Akram (record even better than Kapil's on arguably even flatter home decks)
10. DK Lillee (recovery from injury and reinvention of self as a bowler)
11. GD McGrath (no outlier performance against any particular Test nation)
Honourable mentions go to Gavaskar, Headley, Glenn Turner, Chanderpaul, Hadlee and Imran.
Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 24-10-2012 at 03:36 PM.
1. Sunil Gavaskar 2. Barry Richards 3. Viv Richards 4. Sachin Tendulkar 5. Brian Lara 6. Garry Sobers 7. Adam Gilchrist 8. Richard Hadlee 9. Wasim Akram 10. Malcolm Marshall 11. Shane Warne
1. Jack Hobbs 2. Victor Trumper 3. Don Bradman 4. Charlie Macartney 5. Walter Hammond 6. Frank Woolley 7. Les Ames 8. Jack Gregory 9. Harold Larwood 10. Bill O'Reilly 11. Sydney Barnes
I know it's popular to leave Bradman out, but surely you'd have him in an adversity XI, because the **** never failed.
I'll try and find the analysis.
Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2
Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4
Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2
Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3
Here's mine today.....
1. Jack Hobbs
2. Geoff Boycott
3. Don Bradman
4. George Headley
5. Viv Richards
6. Garry Sobers
7. Allan Knott
8. Wasim Akram
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Shane Warne
11. Dennis Lillee
Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)