• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
An AT Australian team would beat India in India. Bradman alone would make it happen, but he'd be backed by Smith and Hayden. O'Reilly stylistically was much like Kumble and a pace attack of McGrath, Lillee and Davidson would be good enough to take wickets and bowl dry when necessary.

India's ATG batting lineup (sans Gavaskar) was beaten in 2004 by Australia without Bradman, Smith or O'Reilly. They certainly would not be invincible at home - they'd be exceptionally strong though.
Bradman might average 100 in India(unproven between), but Lillee would average 100 as well. Kind of cancels out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You never know. Bring on Bradman now to face the current Indian team. Ishant Sharma will york him out.
I think there was an Indian poster on here many years ago who suggested Bradman would certainly have been brought back to earth if he had to face Irfan Pathan, so certainly Ishant would prove far too much for him.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I think there was an Indian poster on here many years ago who suggested Bradman would certainly have been brought back to earth if he had to face Irfan Pathan, so certainly Ishant would prove far too much for him.
Gotta put him against Sreesanth to have a fair (no pun intended) match up.

h_hurricane

Bradman vs Shahbaz Nadeem will be interesting. One guy averages 10 in India(more than twice the ATG level). Other guy never played in India. Bring it on..

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
You just gotta feel that someone like Dodda Ganesh would be licking his lips upon seeing Bradman at the crease.

h_hurricane

You just gotta feel that someone like Dodda Ganesh would be licking his lips upon seeing Bradman at the crease.
I can imagine Ganesh softening up Bradman with a few short pitched deliveries and then throwing a wide one. The show would end with Bradman wafting at it in Michael Slater style to Laxman/Dravid in slips.

Chrish

International Debutant
Also, Warne would be murdered by all time Indian Xi batting.

I think all time WI and SA Xi have better shot in India than Aus.

SA have two proven bowlers in India in Donald and Steyn; and Pollock didn’t do that bad either iirc. Great WI bowlers also did well in India. Of course all this is merely conjecture and we will never know.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

SA have two proven bowlers in India in Donald and Steyn; and Pollock didn’t do that bad either iirc. Great WI bowlers also did well in India. Of course all this is merely conjecture and we will never know.
This is quite logical. The ATG Aussie team can always draw the games in India with Bradman, Smith et al getting massive tons while the WI and SA teams might win matches with their bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In early 90s, Ganguly was supposed to be the next big all-rounder coming up from domestic cricket.
By the standards of Indian seam bowling at that time, Ganguly was definitely an allrounder, or at least someone who definitely would have looked like one at youth/domestic level. Mahlea Jayawardene similarly was an emerging allrounder before international cricket. Both ultimately decided that putting lots of work in to bowl lots but still average high 40s with the ball at the level they were going to play wasn't really worth it.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I wouldn't play Warne in India, I'd play O'Reilly. He was much faster through the air and by all reports sounds like a better Kumble.

It's not like McGrath was unproven in India either. He was very good, he just didn't have a memorable huge haul like Steyn did.

h_hurricane

I wouldn't play Warne in India, I'd play O'Reilly. He was much faster through the air and by all reports sounds like a better Kumble.

It's not like McGrath was unproven in India either. He was very good, he just didn't have a memorable huge haul like Steyn did.
O'Reilly was an ATG and one of the finest spinners ever, but how do we take it for granted that he would be a sure shot success against the best group of players against spin, just because of his style of bowling ? After all, he never played in India.

Agree on the Mcgrath part.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

Don't think it's the kind of spin you bowl. It's that they play spin exceptionally well. Not think that would be the best course of action.

Slifer

International Captain

Still Stephen, there is every likelihood that the likes of Sehwag etc would rip Oreilly apart just like they've done to every other spinner (especially leg spinners). Which leaves the great McGrath, unproven Lillee one of Davidson, Lindwall or Miller. Yeah India are going to pile up the runs at home. Sorry to doubt about that in my mind. And it took a lone Harbajan Singh to bring the mighty peak Oz batting lineup to it's knees, add in Ashwin or Kumble or Jadeja or Gupte or Chandra etc + at home. Yeah good luck Australia or any other atg for that matter.