Page 6 of 209 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Yes, Mushtaq Mohammad would be a very good option as a good lower order bat and a fifth bowling option which Smali's team lacks.
    Yep, maybe my team can be

Hanif
    Anwar
    Inzy
    Javed
    Yousuf
    Mushtaq M
    Imran Khan
    Wasim Bari
    Wasim Akram
    Younis
    Saqlain/Qadir/Ajmal

Does seem like a better outfit than the one with Saleem Malik in it
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

So Bari over Latif?
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

yes, Bari lasted much longer and was as safe as Latif, if not more. Latif probably the more spectacular one in terms of diving around but I'll be conservative with my team

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Fred, did you watch Imran's older cousin Majid Khan bat? Apparently he was a very very good player of fast bowling. I think he even gets mentioned by either Viv or Colin Croft in Fire in Babylon. How good was Majid?
    I think the mention he got was Viv retelling how he had his cheekbone fractured by the WI pace attack
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

yes the mention was in the breaking cheek bone but he got a mention because he was a very good player of pace bowling (along with some others) who got serious injuries (and I think he was talking about WSC at that point was he?). One of the better players of fast bowling from the SC I think.

pakistan xi :

Hanif Mohammed
    Saeed Anwar
    Younis Khan
    Javed Miandad
    Inzamam
    Mushtaq Mohammed
    Imran Khan
    Wasim Akram
    Wasim Bari *
    Saqlain Mushtaq
    Waqar Younis.

Apologies to Fazal Mahmood. Would have no objection to someone going for a lower order of Imran at 6, then Rashid (for the extra batting over Bari), Wasim, Saqlain, Fazal and Waqar. But to me I tend to prefer 3-pace, 2-spin combinations, particularly for sub-continental sides.

Younis Khan not everyone's favourite, but he did score a fair chunk of his runs batting at number 3. Javed, Inzamam, Yousuf, Zaheer.. look at their stats and none of them did well batting there.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar

Fred, did you watch Imran's older cousin Majid Khan bat? Apparently he was a very very good player of fast bowling. I think he even gets mentioned by either Viv or Colin Croft in Fire in Babylon. How good was Majid?

I used to get to see a lot of Majid batting - in the late 60s he played for Glamorgan, he was Majid Jahinger then, a much more exciting name imo, and BBC Wales often used to televise their matches (the reason we are lucky enough to have a record of Garry Sobers' six sixes in an over), and although, thank God, I didn't live in Wales we were close enough for my Dad to go to the trouble of getting a second TV aerial and pointing it towards Rhyl so we could watch the cricket (which thankfully didn't, unlike most of the bloody programmes, have welsh-speaking commentators)

But I digress - Majid's reputation as a dasher guaranteed a desire to watch Glamorgan bat and he was well worth the effort and, along with my great childhood hero Farokh Engineer, one of the very few sub-continental batsman we got to see. He was a bit short changed at Test level though as he had to open in 1974, and not unnaturally didn't look entirely at home there, and looking it up reminds me that he didn't get many runs in his other Tests in England, but he was a real crowd pleaser at County level, and if you ignore his Tests in England, averaged over 40 in Tests, so he clearly was good enough to make the step up

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I used to get to see a lot of Majid batting - in the late 60s he played for Glamorgan, he was Majid Jahinger then, a much more exciting name imo, and BBC Wales often used to televise their matches (the reason we are lucky enough to have a record of Garry Sobers' six sixes in an over), and although, thank God, I didn't live in Wales we were close enough for my Dad to go to the trouble of getting a second TV aerial and pointing it towards Rhyl so we could watch the cricket (which thankfully didn't, unlike most of the bloody programmes, have welsh-speaking commentators)

But I digress - Majid's reputation as a dasher guaranteed a desire to watch Glamorgan bat and he was well worth the effort and, along with my great childhood hero Farokh Engineer, one of the very few sub-continental batsman we got to see. He was a bit short changed at Test level though as he had to open in 1974, and not unnaturally didn't look entirely at home there, and looking it up reminds me that he didn't get many runs in his other Tests in England, but he was a real crowd pleaser at County level, and if you ignore his Tests in England, averaged over 40 in Tests, so he clearly was good enough to make the step up

lillee spoke highly of majid. in the anecdote about knocking off, or trying to, his trusted cap.

both engineer and khan were highly charismatic blokes, and apparently rather dab hands with the ladies.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post

Could be if he could score a century before lunch I suppose

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    benaud's XI seems much better
    Bradman was too mean to use more than one eye.

Interesting he picked Lindwall tho, a bowler who, by his own admission, modelled his action on a chap Sir Donald sought to traduce as a chucker.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Bradman was too mean to use more than one eye.

Interesting he picked Lindwall tho, a bowler who, by his own admission, modelled his action on a chap Sir Donald sought to traduce as a chucker.
    Larwood?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Larwood?
    Aye.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Anwar
    Haneef
    Younis
    Miandad
    Inzy
    Yousuf