• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

bagapath

International Captain
Barry rchards 72
G.C. Smith 50
Nourse 53
G. Pollock 60
Kallis 57
AB Devilliers 50
Faulkner 40
Boucher 30
B McMillen 35
S. Pollock 32
P Pollock 21

500 (if the numbers are correct; I am writing from memory)

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. Hobbs (57)
2. Sutcliffe (61)
3. Hutton (57)
4. Hammond (58)
5. Barrington (59)
6. Paynter (59)
7. Prior (43)
8. Botham (34)
9. Rhodes (30)
10. Trueman (22)
11. Larwood (19)

499 :(

Edit: Turns out you can do it by picking Henry Wood (68) to keep wicket, which also means you don't have to skimp on the bowling. Bit of a cheat though.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File

Yeah that was actually obvious.

7. Ames (41)
8. Botham (34)
9. Rhodes (30)
10. Tate (26)
11. Trueman (22)

Total 504

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Windies

1. Greenidge (45)
2. Worrell (49)
3. Headley (61)
4. Lara (53)
5. Weekes (59)
6. Sobers (58)
7. Walcott (57)
8. Chanderpaul (51)
9. Bravo (31)
10. Constantine (19)
11. Marshall (19)

Struggled to find a bowling attack and proper opening pair. Worrell needed to fudge both.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ranking is difficult, and kinda pointless (but kinda fun), but FWIW, here's how I rank keepers...

-Godfrey Evans
-Allan Knott
-Bert Oldfield
-Syed Kirmani
-Ian Healy
-Don Tallon

The first four are about equal, then Healy and Tallon slightly below.

Red

I rank them slightly higher because of their work to spinners. All the keepers mentioned were brilliant up at the stumps. It's much more difficult standing up than it is standing back taking quicks.

That's also why I rate Gilchrist higher than some people. Keeping to Warne is a very difficult task, for the most part he did it very cleanly.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Gilchrist gets too much praise for his keeping off Warne.

I don't really see how Warne, during Gilchrist's career would have been that difficult. He hardly bowled any googly's or flippers towards the end of his career - MacGill and Hogg would have been more difficult.

Days of Grace

International Captain
How does everyone rate Prior's keeping?

Because when you add in his batting, he has to be a contender for the alltime England XI.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Was thinking the same today, not sure. His keeping has been greatly improved and he is tidy but he doesn't really have to deal with either express pace or a big turning mystery spinner. But he does a good job with the swing (and late swing/dip) of his seam bowlers and spin of Swann, and that is all we have to jusdge him by, and his batting really is a big plus.
Lets just give him some more time.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah, I was just thinking that with Botham at no.6 and a tail to follow, a keeper with a 40+ average would be very handy for the England XI.

Red

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Gilchrist gets too much praise for his keeping off Warne.

I don't really see how Warne, during Gilchrist's career would have been that difficult. He hardly bowled any googly's or flippers towards the end of his career - MacGill and Hogg would have been more difficult.
Keeping to leg spinners is the hardest task for a keeper. Losing sight of the ball etc. So any leggie is tough to keep to.

I agree, MacGill would've been tougher to keep to. Big ripping leggies are hard.

I don't know if Gilchrist gets too much praise. For a while it seemed the consensus among a lot of people was that he wasn't a very good keeper really. I thought he was very good.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Keeping to leg spinners is the hardest task for a keeper. Losing sight of the ball etc. So any leggie is tough to keep to.

I agree, MacGill would've been tougher to keep to. Big ripping leggies are hard.

I don't know if Gilchrist gets too much praise. For a while it seemed the consensus among a lot of people was that he wasn't a very good keeper really. I thought he was very good.
Yeah perhaps not too much praise, but whenever anyone wants to put the sell on Gilchrist, its often due to his keeping against Warne and I was merely suggesting that Warne wasn't exactly the hardest spinner to have kept against in the history of Test Cricket. I know keeping to a leggie isn't easy, but you've agreed with my small point, MacGill would have been tougher.