• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
You think Kapil is better than all of Waqar, Wasim and Imran?
No. I never said that.

He had the best record in Aus and among the top 2 in WI as well though. Waqar was pretty poor in Aus across 2-3 trips.I would have all 4 of them to cover all bases.

ataraxia

International Coach
European descent XI:

Hobbs - ENG
Grace* - ENG/6
Bradman - AUS
Smith - AUS
Pollock/Kallis/Trumper - SA/SA/AUS
Hammond - ENG/5
Gilchrist + AUS
Hadlee - NZ/1
Warne - AUS/4
Barnes - ENG/2
McGrath - AUS/3

O'Reilly - AUS/12th

Non-European:

Gavaskar - IND
Dravid - IND
Headley - WI
Tendulkar - IND
Richards - WI
Sobers - WI/5
Walcott + WI
Imran - PAK/1
Wasim - PAK/3
Marshall - WI/2
Murathaliran - SL/4

Ashwin - IND/12th

Two XIs, one dominated by Australia and the other by the West Indies.

W. G. Grace is an unusual pick around here for ATG XIs, so here is my reasoning for picking him: His first-class batting average is 39.5, and first-class bowling average 18. He's someone who would nowadays average 31-32 with the ball (the Kallis/Hammond type). If his batting average extrapolates the same way to what was done to his bowling average then it becomes 69. Even with a bit of leeway, that is an incredible average, thus why I pick him over Hutton, Richards and Sutcliffe regularly.

I can't really decide between Graeme Pollock and Jacques Kallis with the bat (Kallis' bowling is unneeded IMO), and add Victor Trumper's huge average at 5 to the equation and I'm really unsure. Dravid had to be picked, I can't really let Hanif or Sehwag play around at this level. Second choice for that position is Frank Worrell. :)

Walcott is my personal choice for keeper, beating out Sangakkara for his batting average as keeper. I don't consider the other options good enough. Feels weird having only one West Indian bowler in this lineup but aside from Marshall no WI bowler is in the top tier of 8.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
ATVG( ? ! ) Minnows XI

Tamim Iqbal
Murray Goodwin
Brendon Taylor
Dave Houghton
Andy Flower
Mushfiqur Rahim
Shakib Al Hasan
Andy Blignaut
Heath Streak
Rashid Khan
Kyle Jarvis

Goodwin to open due to dearth of good openers.
Just about managed to make a decent team :)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
All-time Zimbabwe African-heritage XI

Hamilton Masakadza
Vusi Sibanda
Tino Mawoyo
Regis Chakabva
Solomon Mire
Elton Chigumbura
Tatenda Taibu+*
Prosper Utseya
Douglas Hondo
Henry Olonga
Pommie Mbangwa

Subs: Stuart Matsikenyeri, Christopher Mpofu, Brian Vitori, Ed Rainsford, Tinashe Panyangara, Tendai Chatara

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thought the presence of your main man Chiggers Chigumbura would have endeared the team to you?
Haha. I do have a soft spot for Chiggers but definitely more so in ODIs compared to Tests. This team will struggle to get 200 and struggle to take 20 wickets against most teams.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All-time Zimbabwe African-heritage XI

Hamilton Masakadza
Vusi Sibanda
Tino Mawoyo
Regis Chakabva
Solomon Mire
Elton Chigumbura
Tatenda Taibu+*
Prosper Utseya
Douglas Hondo
Henry Olonga
Pommie Mbangwa

Subs: Stuart Matsikenyeri, Christopher Mpofu, Brian Vitori, Ed Rainsford, Tinashe Panyangara, Tendai Chatara
**** me half of them are barely even FC standard cricketers

edit: Noofers spot on

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
ATVG( ? ! ) Minnows XI

Tamim Iqbal
Murray Goodwin
Brendon Taylor
Dave Houghton
Andy Flower
Mushfiqur Rahim
Shakib Al Hasan
Andy Blignaut
Heath Streak
Rashid Khan
Kyle Jarvis

Goodwin to open due to dearth of good openers.
Just about managed to make a decent team :)
Id throw in Tim Murtagh on the basis that Rashid Khan has only played a few tests too and to give Ireland a representative.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, gotta agree with Nufers & Jedi in regards to that African team. Dunno if anyone here can think of a way to improve that side?