Page 56 of 228 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
Results 826 to 840 of 3417
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

  1. #826
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,127
    Yeah very enjoyable read Watson. I like how you made your justifications as the players you often talked about were the players I was most curious as to why you included them.

    I have to ask you though Watson, what does Herath have to do to be included? I'm suspecting that you wanted 3 quicks and figured de Silva, Samareewa and Jayasuriya could offer some spin support for Murali.

  2. #827
    International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,993
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Yeah very enjoyable read Watson. I like how you made your justifications as the players you often talked about were the players I was most curious as to why you included them.

    I have to ask you though Watson, what does Herath have to do to be included? I'm suspecting that you wanted 3 quicks and figured de Silva, Samareewa and Jayasuriya could offer some spin support for Murali.
    I guess that was the thinking - on a turning wicket Samaraweera and Jayasuriya would be able to give ample support to Murali. And on a seaming wicket the team has 3 quicks.

    However, my knowledge of Sri Lankan cricket is not good, so I could be easily persuaded with Herath.

  3. #828
    International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,993
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Really? 3 wickets per match?
    I think that this is fertile ground for a new thread: 'Who was the better bowler - Keith Miller or Ian Botham?' Would you like to start it marc?

    Now that I think about it a young Ian Botham was impressive. So now I'm not so sure. However, Keith Miller's average as a new ball bowler was 22.97, that's pretty damned good.

    But the main point remains - Ian Botham did not cope well with 2 quality fast-bowlers operating at either end. Holding and Roberts, then Holding and Marshall simply took him apart. The same can be said of Akram and Waqar. Just check out his average against the West Indies - 21.40 over 20 Test matches is not good enough for a No.6 batsman.
    Last edited by watson; 15-10-2012 at 08:34 PM.

  4. #829
    International Debutant Jager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The land of Siddle
    Posts
    2,889
    That's in relation to batting though watson - reckon Miller's head and shoulders higher as a bowler regardless though.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick


  5. #830
    International Debutant Jager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The land of Siddle
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    From everything I've read, he was never described as a medium pacer. I think he was a bit above mid-range in terms of pace.
    I always imagined him as someone who bowled at about ~130 clicks.

  6. #831
    International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I always imagined him as someone who bowled at about ~130 clicks.
    Judging from the footage I've seen I'd agree with that. Not quite as fast as Wasim Akram though.

  7. #832
    International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,707
    I think there is one 4- minute video of Davidson bowling, he looked 135-ish; hard to judge though
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

  8. #833
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,755
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Now that I think about it a young Ian Botham was impressive. So now I'm not so sure. However, Keith Miller's average as a new ball bowler was 22.97, that's pretty damned good.
    Yes until you see how few wickets relatively speaking he took for the number of games he played.

    If my new ball bowler (and pseudo God looking at the way some people seem to treat him, building an AT side around him FFS) only took 3 wickets a match he wouldn't be my new ball bowler for long.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  9. #834
    International Debutant Jager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The land of Siddle
    Posts
    2,889
    The man was a mercurial genius with a body irreparably damaged by war - what a physique he had though and what courage to bowl through the agony in his back - he used to push a disc back into place at the top of his run up before unleashing another thunderbolt

  10. #835
    International Debutant Jager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The land of Siddle
    Posts
    2,889
    What I am saying Marc is that had he not been crippled by his wartime antics to the point where he was unable to bowl in some matches, he would have taken 5+ wickets a match. Obviously didn't though because of his back, but one can only dream of the havoc he would have caused if not for the war - same applies to the great Hedley Verity

  11. #836
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    What I am saying Marc is that had he not been crippled by his wartime antics to the point where he was unable to bowl in some matches, he would have taken 5+ wickets a match. Obviously didn't though because of his back, but one can only dream of the havoc he would have caused if not for the war - same applies to the great Hedley Verity
    Would you give the same benefit of doubt to other players whose careers were cut short by injury?

    Would you rate Shane Bond higher than Miller then?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  12. #837
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,647
    Here's an all-time eleven consisting purely of players who played for New South Wales:

    1. Bob Simpson
    2. Victor Trumper
    3. Don Bradman
    4. Neil Harvey
    5. Allan Border
    6. Keith Miller
    7. Adam Gilchrist
    8. Alan Davidson
    9. Ray Lindwall
    10. Bill O'Reilly
    11. Glenn McGrath

    Others: Steve Waugh, Mark Taylor, Arthur Morris, Michael Clarke, Doug Walters, Richie Benaud, Charlie Turner, Monty Noble, Fred Spofforth, Richard Quee Chee etc etc.

    A lot of those guys played for other states as well, and some of them weren't even primarily New South Wales players so I'm basically just pulling my dick, but I thought I'd toss it out there so fellow Blues could do the same.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  13. #838
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Here's an all-time eleven consisting purely of players who played for New South Wales:

    1. Bob Simpson
    2. Victor Trumper
    3. Don Bradman
    4. Neil Harvey
    5. Allan Border
    6. Keith Miller
    7. Adam Gilchrist
    8. Alan Davidson
    9. Ray Lindwall
    10. Bill O'Reilly
    11. Glenn McGrath

    Others: Steve Waugh, Mark Taylor, Arthur Morris, Michael Clarke, Doug Walters, Richie Benaud, Charlie Turner, Monty Noble, Fred Spofforth, Richard Quee Chee etc etc.

    A lot of those guys played for other states as well, and some of them weren't even primarily New South Wales players so I'm basically just pulling my dick, but I thought I'd toss it out there so fellow Blues could do the same.
    If you want to limit it to those who actually grew up in and debuted for the state then all you need to do is sub in Steve Waugh or possibly Richie Benaud for Keith Miller; he's the only one who's really "cheaty".

    Border and Gilchrist are definitely more known for their work with other states but they were legitimate products of NSW who got poached.

  14. #839
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,813
    Victorian XI

    Bill Lawry
    Bill Woodfull
    Neil Harvey
    Lindsay Hassett
    Bill Ponsford
    Warwick Armstrong
    Billy Murdoch
    Shane Warne
    Merv Hughes
    Damian Fleming
    Bill Johnstone

    Paul Reiffel


    Notes-
    - A lot of Bills
    - Batting good, bowling a lot weaker than NSW
    Gavaskar - Hutton - Bradman - Tendulkar - Sobers - Gilchrist - Miller- Hadlee - Warne - Lillee - Murali

  15. #840
    International Captain ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hyderabad India
    Posts
    6,135
    Since I am bored, here are my teams:

    Australia XI: Simpson, Ponsford, Bradman, Ponting, Chappel, Gilchrist, Miller, Davidson, Warne, Lillee, McGrath

    England XI: Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond, Compton, Barrington, Botham, Ames, Trueman, Barnes, Laker, Lohmann

    India XI: Gavaskar, Merchant, Dravid, Tendulkar, Hazare, Dhoni, Mankad, Dev, Kumble, Nissar, Prasanna

    Pakistan XI: Anwar, Hanif, Miandad, Abbas, Inzamam, Imran, Lateef, Akram, Younis, Mahmood, Qadir

    South Africa XI: Richards, Mitchell, Kallis, G. Pollock, Nourse, Lindsay, S. Pollock, Procter, Steyn, Tayfield, Donald

    West Indies XI: Greenidge, Worrell, Lara, Headley, Richards, Sobers, Dujon, Marshall, Ambrose, Garner, Holding
    Last edited by ankitj; 20-10-2012 at 05:23 AM.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 16 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 16 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thread Hijacks
    By sledger in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM
  2. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •