• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Mike5181

International Captain
For New Zealand, maybe Hadlee, since Cairns would probably be at no.7. Depends if you think Vettori is better than Hadlee. Since Dan's recent downturn in form, I call it even.
Vettori is probably the best number 8 of all-time. He averages like 40 there, I think.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'll repeat some already mentioned but ideal guys (can bat a bit, and have a bit of a dip) for number 8 could be....

Australia- Lindwall, Davidson, Benaud a few of the keepers like Healy/Marsh, Warne. Guys like Lee and Gillepsie were capable up the order at times.

South Africa- Shaun Pollock, Procter

WIs- Marshall

Eng- Verity. Knott if Botham was at 7. Botham if Ames was at 7.

Pak- Wasim Akram (ideal imo)

India- Kapil could go that low, as he's their first picked quick. Kirmani/Engineer (if Kapil was at 7)

NZ- Vettori and Hadlee.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If I had to pick a current XI playing on a pitch offering something for the bowlers I would go for the following team:

1..Alastair Cook
2. Graeme Smith
3. Hashim Amla
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Michael Clarke
6. Kumar Sangakarra
7. Matt Prior
8. Vernon Philander
9. Dale Steyn
10. Saeed Ajmal
11. James Anderson

Shiv Chanderpaul would be my batting reserve.

watson

Banned
I'll repeat some already mentioned but ideal guys (can bat a bit, and have a bit of a dip) for number 8 could be....

Australia- Lindwall, Davidson, Benaud a few of the keepers like Healy/Marsh, Warne. Guys like Lee and Gillepsie were capable up the order at times.

South Africa- Shaun Pollock, Procter

WIs- Marshall

Eng- Verity. Knott if Botham was at 7. Botham if Ames was at 7.

Pak- Wasim Akram (ideal imo)

India- Kapil could go that low, as he's their first picked quick. Kirmani/Engineer (if Kapil was at 7)

NZ- Vettori and Hadlee.
Alan Knott is the third most successful No.7 of all time (minimum 1500 runs) behind Adam Gilchrist and Chris Cairns.

It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

I think that Botham and Ames fail to feature in this study because they didn't score the mandatory 1500 runs at No.7 to qualify.

However, Botham did score 2690 runs at No.6 with a moderately crappy average of 29.23. Chanderpaul is ranked highest with an average of 65.74.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Hobbs
Grace
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Kallis
Gilchrist (wk)
Miller
Imran (c)
Hadlee
Warne

That number four position could have gone to one of many. Warne edges out Murali based on batting and fielding. In other news I really rate allrounders.

If I wanted to make a side to face another world eleven, then knowing I'd be faced with some West Indian quicks, McGrath, Murali, Hammond, Lara, Ponting etc I'd like to bat down to 10 with allrounders and have about 10,000 bowling options including four ATG bowlers. I'd back the relative lack of batting and bowling depth in the other side to be their downfall because my team just keeps going.

bagapath

International Captain
Hobbs
Grace
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Kallis
Gilchrist (wk)
Miller
Imran (c)
Hadlee
Warne

I'd back the relative lack of batting and bowling depth in the other side to be their downfall because my team just keeps going.

hutton
gavaskar
headley
hammond
viv richards
a.flower (wk)
faulkner
pollock
benaud
akram
davidson

Jager

International Debutant
If I were to rank English spinners, it would look something like this:

1. Verity
2. Laker
3. Underwood
4. Briggs
5. Wardle
6. Peel
7. Blythe
8. Rhodes
9. Swann
10. Lock
99. Ashley Giles
Personally I'd put Swann right up there, probably in fourth at the moment for me.

watson

Banned
If I were to rank English spinners, it would look something like this:

1. Verity
2. Laker
3. Underwood
4. Briggs
5. Wardle
6. Peel
7. Blythe
8. Rhodes
9. Swann
10. Lock
99. Ashley Giles
Wilfred Rhodes is problematic because he more-or-less gave up bowling during 1909 to take up opening the innings with Jack Hobbs. But prior to that he was a superb spin bowler and rated very highly by no-less than Victor Trumper.

I think that he deserves to be higher than No.8. Perhaps 4-6.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hobbs
Grace
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Kallis
Gilchrist (wk)
Miller
Imran (c)
Hadlee
Warne

Good XI. We'll take you on..

Sutcliffe
Gavaskar
Headley
Pollock
Hammond
Lara
Knott
Wasim
Marshall
Ambrose
Murali

bagapath

International Captain
Team of 10 all rounders + wk

Mankad
Rhodes
Faulkner
Kallis
Sobers
Gilchrist (wk)
Miller
Botham
Imran
Kapil
Benaud

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Never mind Pollock (over-rated), Rice (no tests) , or Weekes (no wickets). Where's Trevor?

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hobbs
Richards
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Flower
Imran
Shakib
King
Hadlee
Muralitharan

Picking the 1 player per nation rule.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Ok below this is not the ATG Aus team I would pick

Hayden
Barnes
Bradman
G Chappell
Ponting
S Waugh
Glichrist
Miller
Davidson
Lindwall
Warne

But the challnege for other world teams is to pick a side that has an aggregate average that is over 500 (the above list is at 517)

Keeper has to have kept for the majority of his career.
4 bowlers have to have averages of 25 or under and taken over 100 wickets.