• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From what I saw of him Ganguly was barely a bowler. He just bowled. He wasn't really any good at it. His bowling was barely a moderate upgrade on the pus that Matty Wade chucks down.
True, but can you really see Srinath being a threat to AT teams? I'd take Kumble and either Bedi or Harbhajan over any of the third seamer options India has. At least in an away side.

India away:

Sehwag
Gavaskar
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Ganguly
Dhoni/Engineer
Kapil
Harbhajan
Kumble
Bumrah

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Im a lil tipsy butttt

Home Ozzie

Hayden
Warner
Bradman
Smith
Clarke
Hussey
Gilly+
Lindwall
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Away
Morris
Simpson
Bradman
Smith
Border
Waugh
Gilchrist+
Davidson
Cummins
O’Reilly
McGrath

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Why do you get to choose a home and an away side? Isn’t the point of these blokes that they can play home and away? Otherwise they aren’t ATGs are they?
It is not about the batsmen or the players. It is about the conditions. By home and away, they mean spin and pace. Playing 4 pacers in a completely spin friendly pitch just because they are your best 4 ATG bowlers will not be a smart move. ATG team needs to be ATG smart too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is not about the batsmen or the players. It is about the conditions. By home and away, they mean spin and pace. Playing 4 pacers in a completely spin friendly pitch just because they are your best 4 ATG bowlers will not be a smart move. ATG team needs to be ATG smart too.
That’s all well and good but if someone is being routinely left out of normal side in foreign conditions then he has no business being selected in an ATG side.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Home:

Gavaskar
Sehwag (perhaps 5/6 is an option for him?)
Dravid
Tendulkar
Hazare/Laxman
Mankad (surprised no one has mentioned him)
Dhoni +
Kapil
Ashwin
Kumble
Prasanna/Srinanth

Away 6-11:

Mankad
Dhoni/Engineer
Kapil
Ashwin/Kumble
Ishant?
Srinanth

Quite surprised no one has mentioned Vinoo Mankad, being a bowling all-rounder quite comfortable at no. 6. No opinion on the top 3 really, but I think there should be an opening for Sehwag's aggressive mindset, not sure if that is opening or 5/6. Unsure who should be the fourth pacer away, but I don't think Bumrah has proved himself yet. I also doubt that Jadeja should be ahead of Harbhajan and Prasanna. Kohli hasn't proved himself yet IMO, but that day will come soon.
Current bowling lineup of Bumrah Shami Ash and Jaddu will definitely take over the ATG team bowling spots by the time they retire. No Indian team has dominated in bowling as much as this one.

Only Kapil will stay apart from above. The Indian ATG line up is also almost fixed now, just like the overall ATG team.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli definitely needs to be included in any Indian batting lineup away from home. He's got one of the best records of any Asian batsman away from the subcontinent, ever. I think only Sachin and Dravid are ahead.

stephen

I'm struggling to see how anyone could leave Kohli out of any Indian side in any format. The guy is at a minimum the second best Indian batsman of all time.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm struggling to see how anyone could leave Kohli out of any Indian side in any format. The guy is at a minimum the second best Indian batsman of all time.
Yes. Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, Kohli, Dhoni, Kapil, Jadeja, Bumrah - all 9 are locks/ will be locks. Remaining 2 positions are for Ashwin, Bedi, Shami, Srinath or Zaheer.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yes. Gavaskar, Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, Kohli, Dhoni, Kapil, Jadeja, Bumrah - all 9 are locks/ will be locks. Remaining 2 positions are for Ashwin, Bedi, Shami, Srinath or Zaheer.
Not that I don't like him but Bumrah has played a total of 12 tests, really needs ~30 at least before we start putting him in there.

harsh.ag

If Jadeja is to be picked, someone like Subhash Gupte would be a good first spinner to partner with him because they have different styles. Kumble and Chandra not so much. Prasanna and Bedi I don't rate nearly as much as others do. Ashwin second choice after Gupte.

If Jadeja isn't picked, any two of Ashwin, Gupte, Kumble/Chandra.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Kohli definitely needs to be included in any Indian batting lineup away from home. He's got one of the best records of any Asian batsman away from the subcontinent, ever. I think only Sachin and Dravid are ahead.
Top averages for Asian batsmen outside Asia (with at least 1000 runs) are:
53.80 Rahul Dravid
51.57 Sunil Gavaskar
50.37 Sachin Tendulkar
48.40 Mohinder Amarnath
47.57 Kumar Sangakkara
46.89 Virat Kohli
46.38 Javed Miandad
46.36 Marvin Atapattu
45.95 Ajinkya Rahane
45.84 Asanka Gurusinha

AndrewB

Based largely on averages, an England Home XI:

Len Hutton (57.79)
Herbert Sutcliffe (64.60)
Denis Compton (60.05)
Peter May (57.30)
Kevin Pietersen (52.76)
Les Ames (46.08)
Ian Botham (34.93; 226@27.55)
Chris Woakes (35.24; 70@23.46)
Jim Laker (15.59; 135@18.09)
Alec Bedser (13.12; 167@21.56)
Fred Trueman (12.70; 229@20.04)

and an England Away XI:

Jack Hobbs (59.91)
Chris Broad (57.44)
Wally Hammond (66.33; 53@32.91)
Ken Barrington (69.18)
Ted Dexter (53.65; 31@39.19)
Tony Greig (46.93; 82@28.10)
Alan Knott (42.27)
Trevor Bailey (28.51; 70@23.26)
Johnny Wardle (21.27; 45@20.00)
Frank Tyson (14.07; 56@18.96)
Sydney Barnes (9.85; 126@17.96)

AndrewB

Im a lil tipsy butttt

Home Ozzie

Hayden
Warner
Bradman
Smith
Clarke
Hussey
Gilly+
Lindwall
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Away
Morris
Simpson
Bradman
Smith
Border
Waugh
Gilchrist+
Davidson
Cummins
O’Reilly
McGrath
Miller (averages 40 & 20) surely gets into the home XI.