• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes and no. It's part hunch, part commonsense.

Engineer averaged 40 runs 40% of the time (4 years out of 10). That doesn't sound a lot until you realise that many of those runs were made after keeping wicket all day then opening the batting.

With the relative luxury of batting at No.7 it doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to work out that Engineer's average may have climbed an extra 7 runs if unburdened with facing the new ball, and hence coincided with Sangakkara's keeping average of 40.

Incidently marc, the what-ifs and guesswork are half-the-fun when it comes to thinking and writing about cricketers. If everyone on Cricketweb refused to speculate, then we all be gnawing our collective right-arms in boredom. There is also a difference between wild speculation, and speculation based on a little imagination and gentle massaging of the numbers.
Thing is you end with a statement of we can safely say he'd average 40 when batting in a foreign position based on 4 years out of 10 in a different position. That to me is stretching a lot of things especially when you consider that in order to end up at 33, he must have had 6 bad years to counter the other 4 years.

watson

Banned
Thing is you end with a statement of we can safely say he'd average 40 when batting in a foreign position based on 4 years out of 10 in a different position. That to me is stretching a lot of things especially when you consider that in order to end up at 33, he must have had 6 bad years to counter the other 4 years.
The probability that your hypothetical is correct is about 35%
The probability that my hypothetical is correct is about 35%.
The probability that we both wrong but tending toward your hypothetical is about 15%
The probability that we both wrong but tending toward my hypothetical is about 15%

Does that about cover it marc?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the England voting thread Brumby just named his All Time England team and the more recent player he included was Alan Knott who retired in 1981. That's over 30 years ago!

What I am interested in is seeing everyone's team from players who have played in the last 30 years, so anyone who has played Test Cricket since 1982 is included.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Just an England XI since '82, or a world XI? And are we only taking into acccount performances from 1982 onwards (ie a player may have played Test cricket after 1982 but his best years came before that)?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just an England XI since 1982 and yes if a player played a Test since then he is included and is judged on his whole career.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Atherton
Gooch
Gower
Thorpe
Pietersen
Prior
Botham
Flintoff
Swann
Anderson/Gough
Willis

Rather slim pickings on the bowling, especially if I'm not allowed Willis.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Willis is allowed and that's a good team. I'm thinking personally that I would already rate Cook above Atherton.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If Boycott's allowed...

Boycott
Gooch
Stewart
Gower
Pietersen
Botham
Flintoff
Russell
Swann
Willis
Gough

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Boycott
Gooch
Gower*
Pietersen
Thorpe
Botham
Prior+
Flintoff
Gough
Underwood
Willis
Ha, hadn't realised Deadly finished in '82 as well - in that case I reckon this would be my team too, with just Anderson to potentially replace Gough.

Mike5181

International Captain
1.Geoff Boycott
2.Graham Gooch
3.David Gower
4.Kevin Pietersen
5.Graham Thorpe
6.Ian Botham
7.Matt Prior+
8.Andrew Flintoff
9.Derek Underwood
10.James Anderson
11.Bob Willis

MrPrez

International Debutant
Sorry if already been done, but make a best possible XI using one player from each Test nation, and the eleventh from an associate. All time.

For me:
1)Hobbs
2)T.Iqbal
3)Bradman
4)Tendulkar
5)Kallis
6)ten Doeschate
7)Flower (+)
8)Akram
9)Hadlee
10)Muralitharan
11)Holding

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bart King so much better than ten Doeschate, surely. Then you can pick Sobers instead of Holding.

EDIT: Wait, why the **** did you pick Holding ahead of Marshall anyway? :confused:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
  1. Jack Hobbs
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Donald Bradman
  4. Graeme Pollock
  5. Frank Worrell *
  6. Andrew Flower +
  7. Shakib al Hasan
  8. Imran Khan
  9. Bart King
  10. Richard Hadlee
  11. Muttiah Muralitharan

OR

1. Barry Richards
  2. Tamim Iqbal
  3. Kumar Sangakkara
  4. Martin Crowe
  5. Sachin Tendulkar
  6. Javed Miandad
  7. Keith Miller
  8. Bart King
  9. Heath Streak
  10. Malcolm Marshall
  11. Hedley Verity

Couldn't think of a replacement for King, so he maintains his place in both XIs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
  1. Jack Hobbs
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Donald Bradman
  4. Graeme Pollock
  5. Frank Worrell *
  6. Andrew Flower +
  7. Shakib al Hasan
  8. Imran Khan
  9. Bart King
  10. Richard Hadlee
  11. Muttiah Muralitharan

OR

1. Barry Richards
  2. Tamim Iqbal
  3. Kumar Sangakkara
  4. Martin Crowe
  5. Sachin Tendulkar
  6. Javed Miandad
  7. Keith Miller
  8. Bart King
  9. Heath Streak
  10. Malcolm Marshall
  11. Hedley Verity

Couldn't think of a replacement for King, so he maintains his place in both XIs.
Well Mike Denness played for Scotland so he probably counts if you're looking for a cheaty associate option.