• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Gob

International Coach
best I've seen

Hayden
Sehwag
Smith
Tendulkar
Lara
Gilchrist
Flintoff
Warne
Steyn
Ambrose
McGrath

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lefty XI (from the top of my head so this can do with a huge amount of improvement)

Hayden
Warner
Lara
Border
Sobers
Hussey
Gilchrist+
Davidson
Johnson
Akram
Herath
Lawry
Morris
Sangakkara
Harvey
Flower
Woolley
Shakib
Boult
Johnston
Underwood
Reid

Gob

International Coach
I'd say go Ambrose and McGrath. Ambrose imo, not as effective with the old ball
Well Steyn is mandatory for the new ball since he is the genuine swing bowler. Maybe him and Ambrose with McGrath as first change although i would not mind Steyn/McGrath followed by 1993 version of Waqar

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
You can make an XI who batted right-handed, bowled left:
Wilfred Rhodes
Vinoo Mankad
Frank Worrell*
Denis Compton
Charles Macartney
Michael Clarke
George Hirst
Murray Bisset+
Hedley Verity
Bill Voce
Trent Boult

or vice-versa
Alastair Cook
Graeme Smith*
Sourav Ganguly
Graeme Pollock
Mike Hussey
Ben Stokes
Rod Marsh+
Richard Hadlee
Bill O'Reilly
Curtly Ambrose
Jimmy Anderson

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have no idea how people can do it. Different dominant hands for batting and bowling.

My left hand is useless for nearly everything in life. Batting, bowling, catching, bedroom activities, etc

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have no idea how people can do it. Different dominant hands for batting and bowling.

My left hand is useless for nearly everything in life. Batting, bowling, catching, bedroom activities, etc
Well it's pretty much entirely arbitrary that we decided one day that dominant hand at the bottom was the "right" way to bat. There's no reason to think that for a right-handed person, batting "right-handed" has any advantage over batting "left-handed". In fact if anything it's the opposite, and what little analysis I've seen seems to support that dominant hand on top might actually be the better way to go.

The sheer number of top-level left-handed batsman that are actually right-handers (literally most of them I think) supports this too

It probably seems weird and hard to try doing the opposite simply because that's what you've been doing your whole life.

Bolo

State Captain
I think certain shots are easier in switching hands. Cover drives and cuts in particular are easier with dominant hand on top. Playing straight and some leg side shots easier the other way.

Based on fooling around switching hands as a youngster without enough experience to have been locked into a hand. Watching test bats often, but not always supports this view.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There's actually no real rationale for calling a batsman who puts his back foot closer to the stumps in his stance a "right handed batsman", other than convention, as far as I know.

I wonder if back in the early days left handed batting and bowling were frowned upon, as was left handed writing etc?