• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

smash84

The Tiger King
Good point - is a 'competent wicket-taking 5th bowler' really that necessary to an ATG team? Probably, but I'm not sure.
Probably not.

With Imran, Wasim, Murali, and Waqar at their peak they should be able to bundle out the opposition among themselves.

They would only need someone to turn their arm over. For a few overs I suppose and Sehwag should be able to bowl 5 overs of spin or so?

Mike5181

International Captain
Probably not.

With Imran, Wasim, Murali, and Waqar at their peak they should be able to bundle out the opposition among themselves.

They would only need someone to turn their arm over. For a few overs I suppose and Sehwag should be able to bowl 5 overs of spin or so?
That was their peak in test cricket though. This is the level above against all-time great batsmen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That was their peak in test cricket though. This is the level above against all-time great batsmen.
Yeah. I don't think you need five frontline bowlers (as I explained above :p), but you do need a competent fifth bowler, and I'm not sure Sehwag would qualify at the level above. He's close though; I actually think he should've bowled a lot more throughout his career. Would depend on the pitch really.

smash84

The Tiger King
It's basically all top test players at their peak playing in against each other.

Sehwag can turn his arm over and has a SR comparable to Sehwag :p. 5 overs per day might be ok to be handed over to him

smash84

The Tiger King
Asian XI
01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Virendar Sehwag
03. Rahul Dravid
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Javed Miandad
06. Mohd Yousuf
07. K Sangakkara +
08. Imran Khan*
09. Wasim Akram
10. Waqar Younis
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Jager

International Debutant
Could never have Sanga keeping - Engineer would be a great choice if you were after a wicketkeeper batsman of superb quality

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Interesting question...

Who would you take out of Dravid and Sangakkara as a number three batsman (with no wicketkeeping duties)?

Almost impossible to split them I reckon, but they're probably vying for the one spot in this Asian XI.

I don't mind Sanga as a keeper, but he seems a lot more valuable to his team when he isn't keeping anyway.

Red

Others will know more about Asian XIs than me, but I'd go for...

- Gavaskar
- Sehwag
- Sangakkara
- Tendulkar
- Miandad
- Hazare/ Kapil Dev
- Imran (c)
- Engineer (wk)
- Wasim Akram
- Waqar Younis
- Muralitharan

That team would take some beating.

Could interchange Hazare and Kapil, but I don't think the extra bowler is vital. I do love Kapil though.

Jager

International Debutant
Interesting question...

Who would you take out of Dravid and Sangakkara as a number three batsman (with no wicketkeeping duties)?

Almost impossible to split them I reckon, but they're probably vying for the one spot in this Asian XI.

I don't mind Sanga as a keeper, but he seems a lot more valuable to his team when he isn't keeping anyway.
Bloody tough, would take Dravid myself. Scored more of his runs against tougher opposition (without checking the stats, this is a risky statement)

Red

I rate Sanga very very highly. Averages 65 against Australia in Australia during the era that Australia have been powerful. And he's been pretty good against all teams on all continents.

Dravid has been less successful against Australia, which is a good indication in this era I reckon.

Jager

International Debutant
I rate Sanga very very highly. Averages 65 against Australia in Australia during the era that Australia have been powerful. And he's been pretty good against all teams on all continents.

Dravid has been less successful against Australia, which is a good indication in this era I reckon.
From three matches IIRC, which doesn't mean much at all - I think it all came from one innings too, 192 off the top of my head. Sanga has a record very easy to nitpick

smash84

The Tiger King
Could never have Sanga keeping - Engineer would be a great choice if you were after a wicketkeeper batsman of superb quality
Sanga would average around 40 with the bat as keeper?

I have Dravid as number 3 so I get a good wk with a batting avg of 40 which is pretty good for a wk

Jager

International Debutant
Sanga would average around 40 with the bat as keeper?

I have Dravid as number 3 so I get a good wk with a batting avg of 40 which is pretty good for a wk
Yes but you take a big blow with regards to wicketkeeping skills. Personally I am a huge fan of Kirmani too, just gave his numbers a quick glance and he wasn't too shabby with the willow either

smash84

The Tiger King
Sanga was a decent keeper wasn't he or was he bad? Was he in the Gilchrist league as a keeper? I don't remember his wk days too much.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sangakkara was a very good wicket keeper. Just because he could bat doesn't mean his keeping was poor. Was about as good as Gilchrist with the gloves IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Keeping aside - who would make the better No.3 as a pure batsman? Sangakkara or Dravid?
Dravid for me at the moment but that's just based on longevity really and Sanga's career is still going. Wouldn't be surprised if I changed my mind by the time Sanga retired.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like really a tough choice between Sanga and Dravid. I think somehow both should be included in Asia XI, therefore I stand firmly on my chosen XI.

Satyanash89

Banned
Keeping aside - who would make the better No.3 as a pure batsman? Sangakkara or Dravid?
Sanga's awesome but just a tad overrated imo. He hasnt really done brilliantly in overseas conditions yet. Dravid's career too had its holes, like his poor record in South Africa, but had numerous stunning, epic performances overseas throughout his career.
Sanga still has a few years left in him so he can definitely end up better, but right now, imo Dravid quite easily

Last edited: