• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Chrish

International Debutant
Apparently not good enough. Getting dropped for scoring too slow in an era where someone like Kallis would be considered slogger!

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently not good enough. Getting dropped for scoring too slow in an era where someone like Kallis would be considered slogger!
Was apparently quite an attacking batsman at first before changing his game after being dropped early on in his career.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Smith has definitely got a bit of edge as of now between him and other great batsman, the others were averaging ~60 at their peaks and dropped down to ~50-55 by the time they retired. Smith's averaging 65 and it's only going up.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith has definitely got a bit of edge as of now between him and other great batsman, the others were averaging ~60 at their peaks and dropped down to ~50-55 by the time they retired. Smith's averaging 65 and it's only going up.
I would have to say though that I.V.A. and Sachin faced much better bowlers than Smith is. Not going by stats necessarily but there's no comparison. That doesn't make what he is doing any less mind boggling though.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
I would have to say though that I.V.A. and Sachin faced much better bowlers than Smith is. Not going by stats necessarily but there's no comparison. That doesn't make what he is doing any less mind boggling though.
With repsect to Smith it's really only in Australia where you can question the quality of opposition bowling, plenty of teams have bowlers who have ATG home records going around currently.

Last edited:

Chrish

International Debutant
If there is one thing that is lacking in Smith’s record as of now, that is one or two big knocks against SA.

I already mentioned in other thread, but apart from his last SA series, he also was pretty inconsequential in home series against SA despite averaging 40.

One or two daddy hundreds against them would rectify this for me. Unfortunately series against SA isn’t happening anytime soon.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Much better is a stretch imo.

TheJediBrah

If there is one thing that is lacking in Smith’s record as of now, that is one or two big knocks against SA.

I already mentioned in other thread, but apart from his last SA series, he also was pretty inconsequential in home series against SA despite averaging 40.

One or two daddy hundreds against them would rectify this for me. Unfortunately series against SA isn’t happening anytime soon.
Yeah he's strangely not done much against SA. It's not like they're bowling attack has been particularly special or conditions difficult in those series either. I'd suggest it was just more a matter of circumstance and coincidence in those series rather than any specific weakness.

Chrish

International Debutant
Yeah he's strangely not done much against SA. It's not like they're bowling attack has been particularly special or conditions difficult in those series either. I'd suggest it was just more a matter of circumstance and coincidence in those series rather than any specific weakness.
I would have to disagree with the bold part. Wicket conditions in home series were difficult.. One of the rare occasions when we saw wickets with spice in Australia in recent time. Add to that the combination of Philander, Rabada, Abbott and Maharaj.

Bowling attack in SA series was pretty much ATG level: Philander, Rabada, Morkel, Maharaj.. It can't get any better than that.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Bowling attack in SA series was pretty much ATG level: Philander, Rabada, Morkel, Maharaj.. It can't get any better than that.
:huh: It certainly can.

It's definitely one of the strongest in the World at the time but calling those 4 ATG level is laughable

Chrish

International Debutant
Anyways, Kohli scored 153 facing Philander, Rabada, Morkel, Maharaj and Ngidi. He also scored 123 against Starc-Haz-***-Lyon on a difficult Perth wicket. I would have liked to see one or two knocks like that from Smith in those two series. That would have done it for me.

Not saying Kohli > Smith btw. Pointing out what I see as a weakness in Smith's record.

Last edited:

Chrish

International Debutant
Was referring to two series against SA.. Only two current teams have ATG level pace attack: SA and Aus. Obviously he doesn't play his team so only thing left to judge his ability against ATG pace attack is how he performs against the other team..

TheJediBrah

Was referring to two series against SA.. Only two current teams have ATG level pace attack: SA and Aus. Obviously he doesn't play his team so only thing left to judge his ability against ATG pace attack is how he performs against the other team..
Both England and Australia's attack are better then SA's atm

though granted SA's was pretty good a few years ago

edit: India's probably better too

TheJediBrah

I am referring to the time frame when those series took place. SA and Aus were on arguably similar level..
yeah true, but SA's could have been a lot better

Rabada: potential but raw
Philander: decent but needs help from the wicket
Morkel: average test bowler
Maharaj: impressive but not exactly a proven world beater yet

hardly an ATG attack

Last edited: