• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

a massive zebra

International Captain
Australia just has an embarrassment of riches everywhere bar the openers (not that they’re slouches either).
I don't think Australia have an embarrassment of riches in the finger spin department. Of course, O'Reilly, Warne, Grimmett, Benaud and MacGill more than make up for this.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
With every passing match it is getting harder to argue with the bolded statement.

I distinctly recall a time in Ponting's career when he was averaging over 60 and he was seen Inna similar light. I for one definitely though he was going to be ultimately seen as the best if his era and ahead of both Sachin and Lara.

So while I'm aware things could change what he is doing is particularly impressive. He already pushing the aforementioned Ponting and Chappell as well but don't think I'll put him quite as high as "best after" as yet.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Australia have an embarrassment of riches in the finger spin department. Of course, O'Reilly, Warne, Grimmett, Benaud and MacGill more than make up for this.
I mean you don’t really need one when you have all the greatest leggies of all time.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I distinctly recall a time in Ponting's career when he was averaging over 60 and he was seen Inna similar light. I for one definitely though he was going to be ultimately seen as the best if his era and ahead of both Sachin and Lara.

So while I'm aware things could change what he is doing is particularly impressive. He already surpassed the aforementioned Ponting and Chappell as well but don't think I'll put him quite as high as "best after" as yet.
Do agree. I consider Sobers as the next best after Don, followed by Richards, Tendulkar, Lara and Hobbs. However, if any one wants to put Smith right up there, it is hard to argue on cold facts looking at the numbers he is putting up.

And just as I speak, another hundred today. Holy ****.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Do agree. I consider Sobers as the next best after Don, followed by Richards, Tendulkar, Lara and Hobbs. However, if any one wants to put Smith right up there, it is hard to argue on cold facts looking at the numbers he is putting up.

And just as I speak, another hundred today. Holy ****.
My top 5 is slightly different.

Bradman, Tendulkar, Sobers, Richards, Hutton. Lara possibly next but don't want to put too many Windies in there.

Was just looking at Viv though, averaged 58 in WSC and on top of that averaged over 60 in his 1st 40 tests. 55 after 90. That's the kind of pace Smith is setting.

But yeah, Ponting averaged higher than Smith I believe later into his career, so pinch of salt.

Though it also reminds how absolute gun Ponting was

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think O'Reilly would have suited Indian pitches well. His MO was similar to Kumble's by all accounts.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ponting never averaged over 60 at the conclusion of a test match. I rate Ponting but Smith is on another level altogether.

_00_deathscar

International Regular

So while I'm aware things could change what he is doing is particularly impressive. He already pushing the aforementioned Ponting and Chappell as well but don't think I'll put him quite as high as "best after" as yet.
Just a reminder that Sachin averaged 58.97 between 1993-2010 over 156 test matches, and 61.49 from 1993-2004 over 100 test matches, in a relatively lower scoring era (the latter stat especially).
Yes, I know it's cherry picking because it doesn't include his first 4 years in test cricket, but the guy was literally a child for much of those 4 years. It's not his fault he was thrown in, but of course it also helped him.

Longevity is both a boon and a curse. The 100 test match stat is more tests than most top world class players will play, even in today's game - Smith and Kohli will reach it; not entirely sure either will hit 150 test matches though.

He was an absolute monster at his peak.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Just a reminder that Sachin averaged 58.97 between 1993-2010 over 156 test matches, and 61.49 from 1993-2004 over 100 test matches, in a relatively lower scoring era (the latter stat especially).
Yes, I know it's cherry picking because it doesn't include his first 4 years in test cricket, but the guy was literally a child for much of those 4 years. It's not his fault he was thrown in, but of course it also helped him.

Longevity is both a boon and a curse. The 100 test match stat is more tests than most top world class players will play, even in today's game - Smith and Kohli will reach it; not entirely sure either will hit 150 test matches though.

He was an absolute monster at his peak.
Lower scoring in comparison to what? The overall average across all Test cricket between 1993 and 2004 was higher than it has been since 2011.

Aggregate/overall records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

Aggregate/overall records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

Logan

U19 Captain
My Top Five Test Batsmen since Don

1. Sachin Tendulkar

2. Gary Sobers

3. Sunil Gavaskar

4. Viv Richards

5. Brian Lara