• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

watson

Banned
I know it's popular to leave Bradman out, but surely you'd have him in an adversity XI, because the **** never failed.
Headley's record on bad wickets where the team score is low is significantly better than Bradman's. In other words, Bradman was not overly proficient in rescueing his team when the conditions were bad, and the batting order had subsequently collapsed.

I'll try and find the analysis.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
What about George Headley? One of the best with regards to 'sticky wickets'. Not to mention propping up a West Indian team still wet behind the ears.
+1

I personally belive that Headley is one of the top 5 batsmen of All Time and on par with Sobers/Viv.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Since Barry Richards is in the team then we may as well re-establish the Richards-Pollock partnership to see if they can go one better than their famous Durban knock. Also, Knott is in the side for Tallon because he's just as good at keeping but can bat.

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Barry Richards
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Keith Miller*
06. Garfield Sobers
07. Mike Procter
08. Alan Knott †
09. Alan Davidson
10. Shane Warnie
11. Malcolm Marshall

Ah, that's better. Order in the Universe restored.
This new trend of playing Miller in the top order of an All Time XI over Tendulkar, Richards, Headley, Hammond and Lara is bordering on rediculous, and that is even before he is placed ahead of Sobers in the batting order. He is not a World Class or even top class batsman, whats the deal?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Must say I agree. Take away his bowling and he's still IMO the second best batsman of all time.
Yeah I'm not big on Sobers's bowling either and I rate Imran a better overall cricketer, but even just on batting alone he surely has to get a gig. The fact that he could bowl a bit is just a handy aside that means you can just pick the six best batsmen (of which he is unquestionably apart) and not have to worry about picking an a mix-and-match allrounder for balance.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Here's mine today..... :)

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Geoff Boycott
3. Don Bradman
4. George Headley
5. Viv Richards
6. Garry Sobers
7. Allan Knott
8. Wasim Akram
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Shane Warne
11. Dennis Lillee

Jager

International Debutant
Partnerships XI
Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Don Bradman
Everton Weekes
Keith Miller
Clyde Walcott
Frank Worrell
Ray Lindwall
Shane Warne
Sonny Ramadhin
Glenn McGrath

Jager

International Debutant
Since Barry Richards is in the team then we may as well re-establish the Richards-Pollock partnership to see if they can go one better than their famous Durban knock. Also, Knott is in the side for Tallon because he's just as good at keeping but can bat.

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Barry Richards
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Keith Miller*
06. Garfield Sobers
07. Mike Procter
08. Alan Knott †
09. Alan Davidson
10. Shane Warnie
11. Malcolm Marshall

Ah, that's better. Order in the Universe restored.
FATB for that side! Pretty colours. Would definitely put Tallon in though if I was only allowed one change.

Red

Partnerships XI
Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Don Bradman
Everton Weekes
Keith Miller
Clyde Walcott
Frank Worrell
Ray Lindwall
Shane Warne
Sonny Ramadhin
Glenn McGrath
Slightly different take on the partnerships XI....

Jack Hobbs
Herb Sutcliffe
Don Bradman
Arthur Morris

Kumar Sangakkara*
Mahela Jayawardene
Keith Miller
Ray Lindwall

Dennis Lillee
Jeff Thomson
Bishen Bedi
12th- Chandresaker (sp)

watson

Banned
Here's mine today..... :)

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Geoff Boycott
3. Don Bradman
4. George Headley
5. Viv Richards
6. Garry Sobers
7. Allan Knott
8. Wasim Akram
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Shane Warne
11. Dennis Lillee
OK, you show me yours and I'll show you mine.

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Barry Richards
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Gary Sobers
06. Aubrey Faulkner
07. Mike Proctor
08. Alan Knott
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Sydney Barnes

An acceptable way of squeezing SF Barnes, a top notch Googly bowler, and 3 quicks into the side.

Jager

International Debutant
Slightly different take on the partnerships XI....

Jack Hobbs
Herb Sutcliffe
Don Bradman
Arthur Morris

Kumar Sangakkara*
Mahela Jayawardene
Keith Miller
Ray Lindwall

Dennis Lillee
Jeff Thomson
Bishen Bedi
12th- Chandresaker (sp)
Quite like that side apart from having a comparative muppet wielding the gloves.

Here's my new take that wasn't invented on the spot whilst I was on the train (no Bradman)

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe

Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar

Keith Miller
VVS Laxman
Rod Marsh
Ray Lindwall
Dennis Lillee
Clarrie Grimmett
Bill O'Reilly

Jager

International Debutant
What about a Miller and his mates XI? I know he was great friends with Larwood, O'Reilly, Compton, Lindwall - I'll dig around some of my books now, I think you could make a seriously deadly XI from them.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Quite like that side apart from having a comparative muppet wielding the gloves.

Here's my new take that wasn't invented on the spot whilst I was on the train (no Bradman)

Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe

Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar

Keith Miller
VVS Laxman
Rod Marsh
Ray Lindwall
Dennis Lillee
Clarrie Grimmett
Bill O'Reilly
"c Marsh b Lillee" is certainly one of the most fascinating partnerships, well thought out.

Throughout his Australian career Lillee was also famous for his partnership with wicketkeeper Rod Marsh, and the scorecard entry 'c Marsh b Lillee' appeared 95 times in Tests, a partnership record between wicketkeeper and bowler that is yet to be broken. Coincidentally, both players ended their careers with 355 Test dismisals

Red

What about a Miller and his mates XI? I know he was great friends with Larwood, O'Reilly, Compton, Lindwall - I'll dig around some of my books now, I think you could make a seriously deadly XI from them.
Miller and Mates XI

- B. Woodfull (Miller's school headmaster and a man he greatly admired)
- S. Watson (Read a book about Miller once to try and become cooler and less of a knob)
- I. Chappell (Miller was his childhood hero, and they drank together as adults)
- N. Harvey (Often recollected in Chappelli and Miller drinking session stories)
- L. Hassett (Greatly admired by Miller as a man and leader)
- D. Compton (England's version of Miller and close friend of Miller's)
- K. Miller (captain)
- R. Benaud (Delivered the eulogy at Miller's funeral)
- S. Loxton (Aus teammate and great mate of Miller and Harvey)
- R. Lindwall (partner in crime)
- B. O'Reilly (Happy to take Jager's word for it)

Harvey or Chappelli might have to keep. Ian Johnson probably not in the touring party.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Australia XI

Trumper
Morris
Bradman
Chappell
Border
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
O'Reilly
McGrath

Very hard exclusion of Lindwall and Harvey

Finally came to conclusion about all time England team

England XI

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
May
Compton
Woolley
Knott
Larwood
Verity
Trueman
Barnes
Love both those teams, especially the English one.

bagapath

International Captain
Debuted after Tendulkar, retired before him XI

Hayden
Anwar
Dravid
Lara
Inzamam
Gilchrist (wk)
S. Pollock
Warne
Murali