• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes. Not in the same planet. Jayasuriya had a longer stretch where he was actually good and put up those 'similar or worse stats' 20 years before sehwag was doing it.

Sehwag's career was mostly just unfulfilled potential imo. Didn't even do anything particularly memorable at the wcs unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:

vcs

Sehwag's ODI career wasn't exactly "mediocre", I remember he had a great purple patch in ODIs between 2008-2010 or so, but he wasn't in Sanath's class overall.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Yes. Not in the same planet. Jayasuriya had a longer stretch where he was actually good and put up those 'similar or worse stats' 20 years before sehwag was doing it.

Sehwag's career was mostly just unfulfilled potential imo. Didn't even do anything particularly memorable at the wcs unless I'm missing something.
His innings in the WC semifinal 2011 was probably the difference between winning and losing, though it is difficult to justify it convincingly.

trundler

Scored the second ODI double ton, before broke loose. I remember him being very inconsistent and being dropped often. He had unfulfilled potential, as OS said.

h_hurricane

I think in a batting lineup of Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, Dhoni, Yuvraj etc, India was best served by Sehwag being himself. You need all kind of players in a team. Of course, if he had applied himself more, he would have ended up with an avg of 40 but a strike rate of around 90.
Batting strike rate is an underrated aspect of ODI cricket. In a weaker batting line up, his batting approach would not have been as handy.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Explosive batsmen's ODI XI:

Chris Gayle
Sanath Jayasuriya
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
Jonny Bairstow
Glenn Maxwell
Jos Butler +
Andre Russell
Kapil Dev
Shahid Afridi
Wasim Akram

Can we improve the bowling without compromising explosiveness of batting?

Last edited:

trundler

.. no Gilchrist is beyond blasphemous. Gilly opens and keeps. Buttler gives up the gloves. Bairstow out.

Russell needs to go. Would rather have Razzaq. Does Hadlee qualify?

trundler

Polly had a healthy strike rate too. But the inclusion of either of those 2 feels disingenuous. Razzaq > Dre Russ though.

SillyCowCorner1

Chris Gayle
Sanath Jayasuriya
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
Johnny Bairstow
Glenn Maxwell
Jos Butler +
Andre Russell
Kapil Dev
Shahid Afridi
Wasim Akram

*Whispers* Thisara Perera...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, Gilchrist and Thisara Perera have a good case. So does Sehwag. Chris Gayle in fact has a rather ordinary looking strike rate in 50 over cricket so Gilly walks in (which is funny because I was inspired to make this XI by Gayle's recent mad hitting)

Revised XI:

Sanath Jayasuriya
Adam Gilchrist +
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
Jonny Bairstow
Glenn Maxwell
Jos Butler
Thisara Perera
Kapil Dev
Shahid Afridi
Wasim Akram

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Only top 8 nation not represented is NZ. Hadlee's SR is not that great. Correy Anderson is an option but doesn't have long enough career to command a place. Brendon McCullum can come in but that will be 4th wicketkeeper in the XI.

h_hurricane

Mankading XI

Vinoo Mankad
Ravichandran Ashwin
Greg Chappell
Wilf Wooller
Dipak Patel
Aamir Kaleem
Kapil Dev
Sachithra Senanayake
Charlie Griffith
Ewen Chatfield
Alan Hurst

h_hurricane

Mankading XI

Vinoo Mankad
Ravichandran Ashwin
Greg Chappell
Wilf Wooller
Dipak Patel
Aamir Kaleem
Kapil Dev
Sachithra Senanayake
Charlie Griffith
Ewen Chatfield
Alan Hurst
Just realized that Barry Richards had mankaded once. That strengthens the batting immeasurably.

Barry Richards
Vinoo Mankad
Greg Chappell
Wilf Wooller
Dipak Patel
Kapil Dev
Ravichandran Ashwin
Sachithra Senanayake
Charlie Griffith
Ewen Chatfield
Alan Hurst

12th man : Aamir Kaleem

vcs

That was such an awful movie haha.. and 4 hours, really? I mean, I was in engg. college and we all had unlimited time on our hands to binge watch crap movies but even we couldn't sit through that one.

h_hurricane

That was such an awful movie haha.. and 4 hours, really? I mean, I was in engg. college and we all had unlimited time on our hands to binge watch crap movies but even we couldn't sit through that one.
Me never a big fan of that movie either.

MrPrez

International Debutant

Chris Gayle
Sanath Jayasuriya
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
Jonny Bairstow
Glenn Maxwell
Jos Butler +
Andre Russell
Kapil Dev
Shahid Afridi
Wasim Akram

Klusener.