• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Assuming a minimum 10 test requirement.

I'd like Procter in there but that'd be extremely harsh on one of the 3 pacers. Or you could go full SA and stick in another AR in there. With 6 FC tons in a row Procter is definitely a #6 and Faulkner with a pre War average of 40 can bat 5.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Barry Richards
Graeme Smith *
Jacques Kallis (6)
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
AB de Villiers +
Aubrey Faulkner (5)
Mike Proctor (3)
Shaun Pollock (4)
Dale Steyn (1)
Alan Donald (2)

Bolo

State Captain
Barry Richards
Graeme Smith *
Jacques Kallis (6)
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
AB de Villiers +
Aubrey Faulkner (5)
Mike Proctor (3)
Shaun Pollock (4)
Dale Steyn (1)
Alan Donald (2)
How much do you trust procter as a spinner? I haven't got that much faith in Faulkner

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richards
Smith
RGD Pollock
Kallis
Dudley Nourse
AB+
Faulkner
Procter*
Tayfield
Steyn
Donald

The most South African team possible.

Adcock not even getting a mention is proof of how ridiculously stacked SA's pace resources have been.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Richards
Smith
Kallis
G.Pollock
DeVilliers+
Faulkner
Procter
S.Pollock/Tayfield
Steyn
Donald

Slifer

International Captain
All-time South Africa Test XI

GC Smith (c)
B Mitchell
JH Kallis
RG Pollock
AB de Villiers
AD Nourse
MV Boucher (wk)
HJ Tayfield
DW Steyn
KJ Rabada
AA Donald

Pollock and Rabada is the big debating point for me. Pollock of course would strengthen the tail but he was a new-ball bowler, whereas Rabada is more penetrative coming on at first change.
As impressive as Rabada has been, his stats imo are heavily skewed towards home conditions. Once he corrects that, which I'm sure he will then he can justify being in an rsa atg team. For now ...nope

Bolo

State Captain
Richards
Smith
Kallis
G.Pollock
DeVilliers+
Faulkner
Procter
S.Pollock/Tayfield
Steyn
Donald
If we are allowing horses for courses selections, I'd vary the bowlers by more than just pollock/tayfield. Only kallis and procter are locks for me. Philander, Goddard and maybe a couple of others would get in depending on conditions

Red

Philander on some decks, maybe, but I find it hard to see Goddard forcing his way into a line up that could potentially include any combo of Procter, Kallis and S.Pollock, plus Faulkner as a frontline bowler who could also bat top 6.

Bolo

State Captain
Philander on some decks, maybe, but I find it hard to see Goddard forcing his way into a line up that could potentially include any combo of Procter, Kallis and S.Pollock, plus Faulkner as a frontline bowler who could also bat top 6.
Goddard offers a lot with the bat and variety with the ball. I'd want him to bowl if it was a dukes + movement in the air but nothing off the wicket. Donald Goddard Procter kallis + ? would be great in some English conditions

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My SA XI today:

Barry Richards
Bruce Mitchell
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
AB de Villiers
Dudley Nourse
Denis Lindsay +
Shaun Pollock *
Hugh Tayfield
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ODI XI

Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Virat Kohli
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
Adam Gilchrist +
Sanath Jayasuriya
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Sanath, Sachin, and Viv to bowl a minimum of 10 overs combined (the way 5th bowlers should be in ODIs)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ODI XI

Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Virat Kohli
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
Adam Gilchrist +
Sanath Jayasuriya
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Sanath, Sachin, and Viv to bowl a minimum of 10 overs combined (the way 5th bowlers should be in ODIs)
Fairly good side that. Would have loved to see Ponting open a bit more in his career but it served Australia better to have him punish the bowlers for getting Gilchrist, Waugh or Hayden out.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
ODI XI

Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Virat Kohli
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
Adam Gilchrist +
Sanath Jayasuriya
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Great team. I will go with this as well with just one change. Gilchrist opening and Ponting at 5. Gives a left-right opening combination as well as an explosive option.

Red

Jayasuriya
Tendulkar
Kohli
Richards
DeVilliers
Dhoni +
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali