• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Jager

International Debutant
Cheers boys for pointing out every one of my ridiculous cricketing outlooks at once :laugh:

Jager

International Debutant
How good would this team be - my spidey sense is tingling just looking at it

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Herbert Sutcliffe
3. Barry Richards
4. Don Bradman
5. Keith Miller*
6. Archie Jackson/Garfield Sobers (mood dependant)
7. Mike Procter
8. Alan Davidson
9. Don Tallon †
10. Shane Warnie
11. Waqar Younis/Malcolm Marshall/Bill O'Reilly (mood dependant)

watson

Banned

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Herbert Sutcliffe
3. Barry Richards
4. Don Bradman
5. Keith Miller*
7. Mike Procter
8. Alan Davidson
9. Don Tallon †
10. Shane Warnie
I hate to admit it but with Gary and Malcolm included - it works.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Was it?

01. Archie Jackson
02. Victor Trumper
03. Barry Richards
04. Keith Miller
05. Keith Miller
06. Keith Miller
07. Don Tallon
08. Harold Larwood
09. Harold Larwood
10. Harold Larwood
11. Hedley Verity

:p
****ing ridiculous team. Nowhere near enough Miller.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
How can Sobers be mood dependent? Also works better with Richards opening instead of the ultimate stonewaller Sutcliffe and Bradman in his natural position.
Also Miller in the top order seriously weakens that batting line up unneccecerily, especially with Tallon in the side. Marshall also mood dependent and Davidson isn't.
Very strange team.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
How can Sobers be mood dependent? Also works better with Richards opening instead of the ultimate stonewaller Sutcliffe and Bradman in his natural position.
Also Miller at 5 seriously weakens that batting line up unneccecerily.
Well thinking rationally I'd always have Sobers. Not sure how Sutcliffe is 'the ultimate stonewaller' tbh.

Jager

International Debutant
Also for the record the team I posted is not my absolute World XI, although the top 4 and wicketkeeper are spot on.

Eds

International Debutant
Interesting that Jager picks Tallon based solely on his wicketkeeping - one of the very few areas of cricket there's no accurate stat you can use to determine one's ability.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My turn.

World
Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman*
Sachin Tendulkar
Wally Hammond
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist+
Imran Khan
Malcolm Marshall
Muttiah Muralitharan
Sydney Barnes
Your world team is closest to mine. I will replace Tendulkar and Hammond with G. Pollock and Hadlee. Will keep the other 9.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Your world team is closest to mine. I will replace Tendulkar and Hammond with G. Pollock and Hadlee. Will keep the other 9.
We definitely have similar ways of thinking. Pollock vs Tendulkar was a close call. Went for Tendulkar simply because he has been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to prove himself at the highest level all over the world and for a much longer period of time than Pollock. Hadlee would be my first choice replacement for Imran, Marshall or Barnes if any of them got injured.

watson

Banned

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Herbert Sutcliffe
3. Barry Richards
4. Don Bradman
5. Keith Miller*
7. Mike Procter
8. Alan Davidson
9. Don Tallon †
10. Shane Warnie
Since Barry Richards is in the team then we may as well re-establish the Richards-Pollock partnership to see if they can go one better than their famous Durban knock. Also, Knott is in the side for Tallon because he's just as good at keeping but can bat.

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Barry Richards
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Keith Miller*
06. Garfield Sobers
07. Mike Procter
08. Alan Knott †
09. Alan Davidson
10. Shane Warnie
11. Malcolm Marshall

Ah, that's better. Order in the Universe restored.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I'm going to go ahead and pick an XI that succeeded routinely in crap conditions (top-class bowling/batting attacks, performance pressure, bad wickets relative to their role):

Presenting the Adversity XI:

1. G Boycott (very low standard deviation from his Test average of 48, superb record against Windies)
2. L Hutton (played a ridiculous amount of tremendous innings on sticky wickets)
3. RN Harvey (see Hutton)
4. AR Border (duh)
5. SR Waugh* (away average is almost 9 runs higher than his home record)
6. A Flower+ (held an entire minnow nation together for a decade)
7. N Kapil Dev (played half of matches on dustbowls)
8. H Verity (bowled on 1930s decks against the likes of Bradman, Ponsford and McCabe)
9. Wasim Akram (record even better than Kapil's on arguably even flatter home decks)
10. DK Lillee (recovery from injury and reinvention of self as a bowler)
11. GD McGrath (no outlier performance against any particular Test nation)

Honourable mentions go to Gavaskar, Headley, Glenn Turner, Chanderpaul, Hadlee and Imran.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I'm going to go ahead and pick an XI that succeeded routinely in crap conditions (top-class bowling/batting attacks, performance pressure, bad wickets relative to their role):

Presenting the Adversity XI:

1. G Boycott (very low standard deviation from his Test average of 48, superb record against Windies)
2. L Hutton (played a ridiculous amount of tremendous innings on sticky wickets)
3. RN Harvey (see Hutton)
4. AR Border (duh)
5. SR Waugh* (away average is almost 9 runs higher than his home record)
6. A Flower+ (held an entire minnow nation together for a decade)
7. N Kapil Dev (played half of matches on dustbowls)
8. H Verity (bowled on 1930s decks against the likes of Bradman, Ponsford and McCabe)
9. Wasim Akram (record even better than Kapil's on arguably even flatter home decks)
10. DK Lillee (recovery from injury and reinvention of self as a bowler)
11. GD McGrath (no outlier performance against any particular Test nation)

Honourable mentions go to Gavaskar, Headley, Glenn Turner, Chanderpaul, Hadlee and Imran.
What about George Headley? One of the best with regards to 'sticky wickets'. Not to mention propping up a West Indian team still wet behind the ears.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I know it's popular to leave Bradman out, but surely you'd have him in an adversity XI, because the **** never failed.