• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Larwood's record really isn't "poor" though is it. He probably has the best test record for any pacer from that era.
Not really, Bowes at least has a much better average and Voce's is better too, but Larwood didn't get to play the weaker teams like WI or NZ as much and was unfit while playing for good chunks of '28-'29 and '30. Bowes only played two tests away. As a matter of fact I find judging pace bowlers from then really hard as none of their records are really rounded.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So harsh on Dudley Nourse. An elite batsman by all measures. Scored a double against O'Reilly and Grimmett. Look at that average too.

morgieb

Given his contextual strike/economy rates, Waqar really should be a lock for an entertainment XI.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
In Cricket Crisis, Fingleton’s “contemporaries” XI (which is pretty close to being a 30s XI) is Ponsford, Headley, Hammond*, Duleepsinhji, McCabe, Cameron+, Constantine, Larwood, Tate, Grimmett, O’Reilly. Bradman is to play in the opposing side.

trundler

Sutcliffe only played for half of the decade and his best years were in the previous decade so I'll take Ponsford in a 30s XI. Like Compton doesn't make a 30s XI either.

Ponsford
Hutton
Bradman
Hammond
Headley
Nourse/McCabe
Ames
Voce
Larwood
Grimmett
O'Reilly

AndrewB

Ponsford retired in 1934; Sutcliffe was at least still playing for Yorkshire throughout the 30s. And they both played more Tests in the 30s than Hutton.

If you want an opener who played Tests through the 30s, you should pick Bruce Mitchell. There's also Stewie Dempster, who only played 10 Tests in the early 30s, but that was his entire Test career, and he continued to play county cricket through the decade.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Sutcliffe only played for half of the decade and his best years were in the previous decade so I'll take Ponsford in a 30s XI. Like Compton doesn't make a 30s XI either.

Ponsford
Hutton
Bradman
Hammond
Headley
Nourse/McCabe
Ames
Voce
Larwood
Grimmett
O'Reilly
Sutcliffe played more matches in the 30’s then both Hutton and Ponsford. If you’re going by matches played you’d take Hutton out of the three.

trundler

Yeah but Sutcliffe would play for the 20s XI and Tendulkar would play for the 90s XI in this imaginary decadal tournament.

trundler

On Ponsford:

What I found perplexing about him is that he retired because cricket got too serious towards the end of his career i.e after Bodyline. He said it wasn't the same cricket as before. Yet he along with Bradman is credited with bringing a determined, grind the opposition into the ground approach to batting. As opposed to their predecessors who gave their wickets to the most deserving bowler. Strikes me as a bit odd. He was only 34 when he retired.

fredfertang

On Ponsford:

What I found perplexing about him is that he retired because cricket got too serious towards the end of his career i.e after Bodyline. He said it wasn't the same cricket as before. Yet he along with Bradman is credited with bringing a determined, grind the opposition into the ground approach to batting. As opposed to their predecessors who gave their wickets to the most deserving bowler. Strikes me as a bit odd. He was only 34 when he retired.
Ponsford would probably have retired anyway - don't forget he played as an amateur and with a wife and two kids he needed to think of the future

AndrewB

Don't know if it's accurate, but the description of his career on Wiki doesn't make it sound like he would have needed to retire from cricket for monetary reasons:

"Ponsford began his working life at the State Savings Bank. On his return from England in 1926, the bank advised him that they might not tolerate so much leave for cricket in the future. Ponsford received a lucrative offer to play for Blackpool Cricket Club, which he was inclined to accept. This news was received with dismay by Australian fans, who had earlier seen players such as Ted McDonald leave Australia and accept contracts in the professional English leagues. To keep Ponsford in Melbourne, The Herald—a local newspaper—employed him on the basis that he would remain available for all representative cricket. The new role included writing articles for the paper.

In 1932, at the end of his five-year contract with the newspaper, Ponsford successfully applied for a position on the staff of the Melbourne Cricket Club. He was appointed to an unspecified office job working for the club secretary Hugh Trumble, which required him to transfer his cricket and baseball allegiances from St Kilda to Melbourne ... Ponsford remained with the club until his retirement in June 1969."

stephen

Australian XIs, 95-07

1st:
Hayden
Taylor
Ponting
Clarke
S Waugh
Hussey
Gilchrist+
Warne
Gillespie
McDermott
McGrath

2nd:
Langer
Slater
Boon
M Waugh
Martyn
Lehmann
Healy+
Johnson
Reiffel
Kasprowicz
MacGill

3rd:
Jaques
Elliott
Watson
Blewett
Symonds
Katich
Hodge+ (the only two keepers in this time period were Healy and Gilchrist)
Lee
Clark
Bichel
Miller

Not enough batsmen played during the era to construct a 4th XI. These were the batsmen who were left over:

Love
Law
Bevan

Leftover bowlers who took at least one wicket in the era:
Fleming
Hogg
Robertson
Bracken
Julian
Williams
Cook
Muller
Dale
Hauritz
McIntyre
Tait
Nicholson
Angel
Cullen

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks good, although, it pains me to say that Langer should probably take Tubby's spot in the first XI. And what about Haddin, Campbell, Emery or Maher for the keepers' spot in the third XI?

Gob

International Coach
wham bam thank you ma'am XI

victor trumper
sanath jayasuriya
clem hill
viv richards
ian botham
kapil dev
shahid afridi
adam gilchrist +
mitchell johnson
jeff thomson
shoaib akhtar
Mine

Warner
Sehwag
Viv
KP
Lara
Sobers
Gilchrist
Warne
Johnson
Donald
Waqar

trundler

Second hand nostalgia XI. A team of players who evoke a sense of nostalgia in me despite never having any of them okay once.

Len Hutton
Hanif Muhammad
Neil Harvey
Rohan Kanhai
Victor Trumper. Duh.
Keith Miller
Imran Khan
Bert Oldfield +
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee
Bill O'Reilly

Honourable mention to Prince Ranji.