• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seriously underrating Sunny there. He's the only guy averaging over 50 as an opener over the last decades. Besides Hayden, that is and we all know what a bully he was. Sunny is perhaps a fraction of a hair's breadth behind Hutton for me.

If you're going by Barry's great FC record companred to others then it seems wrong to say Sunny was far behind the others when he averaged 50 when guys like Greenidge and Boycott averaged in around 45.

Bolo

State Captain
I rate Hutton more than a hair above Sunny, but the issue really lies with Hobbs. I rate him behind only Grace and Bradman, and a long way ahead of number 4.

The FC records of lesser bats of the era arent a big deal. Barry's is notably better than Sunny's, and made in tougher competitions/conditions.

trundler

Sunny's FC record would include tests though.

I think I'm now beginning to understand your question. I wouldn't expect Sehwag to last on the matting wickets of pre War SA, where he averaged 60 but Hobbs was a supreme talent. Based on gut feeling I would imagine Hobbs would do well against swing and on bunsens. This is based on his mastery of wet wickets. Pace, I'm unsure of.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shame Hutton got injured during the war years and had to put away his hook and pull for when Lindwall and Miller came calling.

trundler

It's incredible how Hutton overcame so much. Doesn't get talked about enough when we remember great batsmen.

trundler

The sense I get from Sutcliffe is that he was more limited than Hutton and Hobbs. Pre injury/war Hutton was a dashing stroke player as any. Hobbs grew defensive with age (like Bradman) but he himself said he'd like to be remembered for his pre war fearlessness when he was described as Trumper-esque.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If I had to pick a pair to face great bowling, in their prime, it’d be Hutton and Richards. Purely based on what I’ve read and heard. Sunny is great but there is a bit of a myth around his success vs WI attacks, and Hobbs and Sutcliffe would find the modern game very different to what they played. I’ve no doubt that they’d adapt given time however.

Red

Barry Richards averaged 80 in WSC. More than VRichards, Chappell...

trundler

He didn't play as many matches though. Still a great achievement. Sunny vs Richards is a grey area for me.

Bolo

State Captain
I regard WSC as a step up from tests- no weak opposition, and really competitive. Still only leaves Barry with 9 games at the highest level. Not much of a sample.

But if he'd played 27 games (Barnes and O'Reilly), and averaged half of what he did in the remainder (highly unlikely considering his tests and WSC were at opposite sides of his career), he still would have ended with an average of over 50.

Red

Greg Chappell on record as saying WSC was the hardest cricket he played.

andmark

International Captain
Greg Chappell on record as saying WSC was the hardest cricket he played.
As it happens, Chappell himself had a great record against those West Indian greats given that for players who played more than six matches against them between 1975-91, he tops the batting averages with 58.77.

The top ones of the list are largely anomalous results due to lack of matches (Brijesh Patel maintained a 200 average against them over three tests): All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

SillyCowCorner1

That's special from Chappell. He was Australia's best batsman against the Windies during that period. He batted in the most innings (along with Marsh, whose record was abysmal)

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Tangentially related but from an article not so long ago... Herbert Sutcliffe scored quickly, faster than any of the heavy run-makers of the time except Bradman, believing that the new ball was more opportunity than threat. On the more-coal-for-the-winter theory, Sutcliffe picked gaps with a forensic eye and ran hard between the wickets. He glanced and cut, as did many of the players of the age, and drove with surprising power. Above all his gifts were those of temperament and application. John Arlott wrote, "Herbert was cool beyond disturbance."

Interesting, since SR estimates I've seen put him lower than say, Hobbs, Hammond, Headly, Hutton (**** how good were the H's). Sorry to go off on a tangent but I just love my boy Herb. Best Ashes batsman outside of Bradman, saved his best for big occasions (compare his first class record to test), average uniquely never dipped below 60 in his career.

Last edited: