• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

watson

Banned
The Archie Jackson story | Cricket Features | Wisden Cricket Monthly | ESPN Cricinfo

There was just something about Jackson - sure, his death may have resulted in some hyperbole-driven writing, but he could clearly bat. To have done what he did by the age of 22 is incredible, and who knows what he could have achieved in a full career. Sure, it's the kind of 'what if' that seems to now be taboo on here, but in my mind there was no way that he would have failed.

Now I love Michael Slater; he's one of my favourite batsmen of the past 2 decades, but for all his aggression and success, he just doesn't compare with Jackson. Tubby, even with the 334* and as a fantastic captain, was nowhere near as impressive as Jackson was while he was alive.

In my mind, an all-time New South Wales XI would not be complete without Jackson. To me, he was just as good as anyone to have picked up a bat.
Fair enough, and who am I to say otherwise if that's the way you feel :)

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
Would definitely have to agree with rvd here - his achievements at 22 were remarkable and obviously never had the chance to flourish as a healthy man, let alone hit his peak at an older age.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Great effort there Dan.

Here's an all-time eleven consisting purely of players who played for New South Wales:

1. Bob Simpson
2. Victor Trumper
3. Don Bradman
4. Neil Harvey
5. Allan Border
6. Keith Miller
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Alan Davidson
9. Ray Lindwall
10. Bill O'Reilly
11. Glenn McGrath

Others: Steve Waugh, Mark Taylor, Arthur Morris, Michael Clarke, Doug Walters, Richie Benaud, Charlie Turner, Monty Noble, Fred Spofforth, Richard Quee Chee etc etc..
Jesus. That would be a pretty strong Australian all time team.

If we're talking about all-time domestic sides we've got to have a look at Barbados:

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Conrad Hunte
Frank Worrell*
Everton Weekes
Garfield Sobers
Clyde Walcott
Malcolm Marshall
Wes Hall
Charlie Griffifth
Joel Garner

This coming from an island with roughly the population of Leicester. And I had to leave out Tino Best!
Remarkably strong. Wonder who would win an all time Barbados XI v an all time NSW XI?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Barbados XI

Gordon Greenidge
Conrad Hunte
Frank Worrell
Everton Weekes
Garry Sobers
Clyde Walcott
Seymour Nurse
Malcolm Marshall
Joel Garner
Wes Hall
Sylvester Clarke

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think NSW would, far better bowling + Sir Donald.
NSW's attack probably stronger and better balanced overall but I don't reckon there's such a thing as an attack that's far better than one which reads Marshall-Garner-Hall-Griffith-Sobers-Worrell.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we're talking about all-time domestic sides we've got to have a look at Barbados:

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Conrad Hunte
Frank Worrell*
Everton Weekes
Garfield Sobers
Clyde Walcott
Malcolm Marshall
Wes Hall
Charlie Griffifth
Joel Garner

This coming from an island with roughly the population of Leicester. And I had to leave out Tino Best!
More to the point you left out the mighty Sylvers

a massive zebra

International Captain
The Yorkshire All Time XI is also immensely strong when one considers that England has 18 domestic teams. Plenty of very big names...

Herbert Sutcliffe
Geoff Boycott
Len Hutton*
Maurice Leyland
Darren Lehmann/Stanley Jackson
George Hirst
Wilfred Rhodes
Jonny Bairstow+
Hedley Verity
Fred Trueman
George Freeman/Bill Bowes

a massive zebra

International Captain
Sir Len never gets to open.

Edit: Also we have Sachin Tendulkar
Tendulkar would only merit consideration if team selection was based on calibre of batsmen rather than performances for, and form while at, the county.

I know he was only 17 at the time he played for Yorkshire but his performances really were not ATG material - 1 century in 25 innings with an average in the mid 40s.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bairstow the best keeper in Yorkshire's long history? He sticks out a bit.
One department that they're not overly strong in - Jimmy Binks, Don Brennan, Arthir Wood, Arthur Dolphin and David Hunter are five that spring to mind, but imo Bairstow isn't a bad call

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Bombay(Mumbai) XI ..Batting at its best..bowling if the pitch spins look out..

Gavaskar
Merchant
Hazare
Tendulkar
Vengsarkar/Sandeep Patil/Ravi Shastri
Mankad
Engineer
Ajit Agarkar/Ghavri
Shivalkar
Zaheer Khan
Subhash Gupte

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
One department that they're not overly strong in - Jimmy Binks, Don Brennan, Arthir Wood, Arthur Dolphin and David Hunter are five that spring to mind, but imo Bairstow isn't a bad call
Thanks mate. I was just curious, only name I know is Arthur Dolphin and that's only due to the 'cod you do better' thread. :)

JBMAC

State Captain
Best QUEENSLAND Side

1.Sam Trimble
2.Bill Brown
3.Stuart Law
4.Ken Mackay
5.Peter Burge
6.Greg Richie
7.Wally Grout[keeper]
8.Tom Veivers
9.Carl Rackeman
10.Craig McDermott
11.Geoff Dymock
12.Phillip Carlson.[12th man]
I went for the "best" homegrown side.All Qlders....No Botham Surti,Richards,Chappell,Border or Thompson.All these players played Tests.Sam Trimble even was Captain of a Second eleven that toured NZ.It was adifficult side to select
.Even though most players had test caps,Qld never won "the Sheffield Shield" but their players performed magically at times in some superhuman feats of our game.I selected Grout over Healy because he[grout] was A Tallon Protege
and did more "first" in the game. eg 6 dissmissals in a match
It,s strange really with talent like that available it took us until about 1995 to win the Shield

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
1.Sam Trimble
2.Bill Brown
3.Stuart Law
4.Ken Mackay
5.Peter Burge
6.Greg Richie
7.Wally Grout[keeper]
8.Tom Veivers
9.Carl Rackeman
10.Craig McDermott
11.Geoff Dymock
12.Phillip Carlson.[12th man]
I went for the "best" homegrown side.All Qlders....No Botham Surti,Richards,Chappell,Border or Thompson.All these players played Tests.Sam Trimble even was Captain of a Second eleven that toured NZ.It was adifficult side to select
.Even though most players had test caps,Qld never won "the Sheffield Shield" but their players performed magically at times in some superhuman feats of our game.I selected Grout over Healy because he[grout] was A Tallon Protege
and did more "first" in the game. eg 6 dissmissals in a match
It,s strange really with talent like that available it took us until about 1995 to win the Shield

Hayden?