• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Best pure bats of relevant times middle order:
Bradman
Sobers
Viv
Tendulkar
Chappell
Kallis

If you need to ditch someone- worst 3-tenduklar doesn't bowl. Chappell is a handy part timer. Hope to never see him bowl, but good for backup. Kallis is an allrounder and proper 5th bowler. I guess you decide by conditions.

Righ now, my second name chosen is Pollock, but you area bit crowded
I guess mine would be a bit different.

Bradman

Richards / Sobers / Tendulkar

Lara / Chappell / Hammond / Hobbs/ Hutton / Ponting

Pollock / Headley/ Kallis / Gavaskar / Richards / Sangakkara /Border

Sure I missed out some names, and not sure where Kholi and Smith belongs quite as yet. But basically that's somewhat my tier list.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've never really understood why it never gets pointed out that Chappel wasn't ever tested on subcontinental tracks against spinners because he basically never played there. Great player of pace obviously but there should be a question mark against him when it comes to playing spin if we're judging things purely by record.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
For taking 20 wickets in a match giving less than 30 runs per wicket and to score 500 plus runs in any condition the following team would be ideal.

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman *
Viv Richards
Tendulkar
Sobers
Adam Gilchrist +
Imran Khan
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne

You can probably match the bowling with the following XI. But the batting quality difference will be significant.

Gavaskar
Hayden
Lara
Kallis
Hammond *
Sangakara +
Keith Miller
Akram
Steyn
Murali
McGrath

bagapath

International Captain
I've never really understood why it never really gets pointed out that Chappel was never really tested on subcontinental tracks against spinners because he basically never played there. Great player of pace obviously but there should be a question mark against him when it comes to playing spin if we're judging things purely by record.
It is never pointed out because it is not true.

Greg played one series against Pak in Pak and averaged 70+. I vaguely remember that he scored 60+ in the one innings he batted in Sri Lanka. There is no question mark over his greatness against all opponents in all conditions.

OverratedSanity

Greg played one series against Pak in Pak and averaged 70+. I vaguely remember that he scored 60+ in the one innings he batted in Sri Lanka. There is no question mark over his greatness against all opponents in all conditions.
My point is its just 4 games.

sunilz

International Regular

That is because he scored double century in test in which neither Imran nor Qadir played

2nd Test, Australia tour of Pakistan at Faisalabad, Mar 6-11 1980 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

So Greg chappell who doesn't have even 500 runs in Asia is now ATG

OverratedSanity

There are pretty big question marks over Bradman too because he never made a hundred against Afghanistan
I know you're taking the piss but it's hardly the same. India and Pakistan actually existed and were competent teams in chappell's era. It'd be like if Lara never toured England or something. Its just odd.

OverratedSanity

More importantly, it was one of the flattest pitches of all time, where AB refused to partake in the run fest by running himself out. More proof that the real ATG in that lineup was at number 6.
Totab also the only one to show some spine in the first test where 28/33 wickets fell to spinners

TheJediBrah

I know you're taking the piss but it's hardly the same. India and Pakistan actually existed and were competent teams in chappell's era. It'd be like if Lara never toured England or something. Its just odd.
I genuinely think touring the subcontinent wasn't a very nice experience back then, compared to now with the luxury professional cricketers would get.

sunilz

International Regular
And massive lol at someone thinking Richards belonged to different league of test batsmen than Gavaskar.

Gavaskar outscored Richards in 10 test matches( Two 5 test match series) when he played against WI pace quartet and Richards played only against kapil Dev in 1983

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

See the list of quality of bowlers they had to face
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

morgieb