• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Pretty comfortably really
But he only played one sport, and at that at an amateur level?

Might as well talk about Steve Gurney imo.

Bo Jackson for mine, dominated two massive professional sports with brilliance, and could have gone for a third in track and field. Legitimate and absolute freak in all sporting areas (speed, power, strength, hand eye, had it all).

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
To save a massive zebra the trouble:

You cannot be serious!?!?!?

Bradman has a far stronger track record as a matchlessly brilliant all round sporting superstar than any of those guys you mentioned.

Bradman was a brilliant tennis player and had the opportunity to turn professional if he had not opted to focus on cricket. At 16, he had to choose between tennis, at which he excelled as a country champion, and cricket. He agonised over his decision and never ceased to test himself against the best, taking great satisfaction in beating every Australian Wimbledon player in his era in "friendly" matches.

He was a brilliant squash player and won the 1939 South Australia squash championship having not played squash for nearly two years until three months before the tournament.

He was the best billiards player in the Australian squad during the Ashes tours of 1930, 1934 and 1938. In 1934 he was beaten by the world's No. 1, Walter Lindrum. Bradman's competitive juices flowed. He had a billiards room built in his new Adelaide home. "He practised every day for a year," said Lady (Jessie) Bradman proudly, "and then challenged Lindrum to a return encounter and matched him."

Then in his early 30s, he won multiple sprint races at the Army's School of Physical & Recreational Training at Frankston, Victoria in 1940.

He was a superb golfer who shot under par at every major golf course in South Australia and Victoria, and continued to play until he was well into his eighties when he regularly ‘broke his age’.

None of the guys you mentioned can boast a sporting resume anywhere near as complete or comprehensive as this.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
To save a massive zebra the trouble:
Who cares, Bo Jackson did go professional in NFL while playing MLB and was a superstar in both sports.

What he turned down was the Olympics in track and Field. But he already has two PROFESSIONAL sports covered.

Bradman has 0 professional sports dominated.

Bo Jackson would eat Bradman in any sporting contest.

Name the sport, name the event, he'd cripple him.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
You should, given you made a false assertion. You should really research things before you say them, especially since you get so defensive when called out on them.
Meh!~

I have plenty support on Bo Jackson as the greatest sportsman of all time.

If cricket fans want to claim Bradman and go up against the might of ESPN research that's on them. And I don't even need ESPN to support my opinion. Bo Jackson was a sporting freak with every possible talent.

But I don't see Bradman doing much to Bo Jackson, who will eat him on speed, power, strength, endurance, what's in front of him (this is running sports that cricketers only won't understand) and get more or less equal to him on hand eye. Jackson probably has Bradman beat for fielding even never playing cricket.

It's easy for me. Bo Jackson. Had it all.

He even ran 10.39 in the 100m as a student. Student.

That made him one of the fastest ever, at the time, in an event, that is globally sought after, that was 3rd in his priorities at best. While a student!

Carl Lewis, took gold with a 10.32 at the 1984 Olympics. That's how fast Bo was. In a sport that wasn't even on his radar and that the world achieves to strive for.

The closest thing an athlete cricket has is a fast bowler, and even Merv Hughes does his part to debunk that myth. Cricket is a fairly lazy sport. Inzi has a tripple hundred.

There's a time and a place to appreciate hand eye, and then with tennis, to appreciate stamina and fitness, power, and then, to encompass all of that with speed. Bo Jackson was a freak result of selective breeding as the result of slavery. That's not being racist. Quite the opposite. He was the result of selective breeding and luck of accident of birth at its finest.

The American slavery created a super species of sports god's, and he is the king that stands tall above all else.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Nope, that's not the false assertion you made

Try again
Hey look, cricket fans can try and claim that.

But with all the money in track and field globally, and the money in NFL and MLB - I'd wager he'd be better than Andre Russell in t20 if there was any money in cricket.

He turned down Olympic 100m gold for his 2 pro sports that are huuuuuuuuuuge. NFL and Baseball. Hall of famer in both. Far more money than cricket can still dream of today despite the sub continent fan base (who's Olympic performance is seriously underwhelming).

Bo Jackson, greatest sportsman ever for mine. You say Bradman. Good for you. Bo Jackson would eat him at anything imo.

I love cricket. Cricket as a real sport, outside fast bowlers - I struggle to accept that myself. It is more a skill and a game, like cards.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I understand English may not be your first language, but I've made it very clear in my earlier posts where your false assertion is. Please re read them.

I await your apology for being wrong and an acknowledgement of the facts that were presented.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I understand English may not be your first language, but I've made it very clear in my earlier posts where your false assertion is. Please re read them.

I await your apology for being wrong and an acknowledgement of the facts that were presented.
I understand you think you speak English well, but this is what you actually said:

You should really research things before you say them, especially since you get so defensive when called out on them.
So given you have made nothing clear in English, I can only assume that English is not your first language.

Bo Jackson > Pele, Bradman, Jimmy White, Tiger Woods, Federer, Lewis Hamilton, G Kasparov or anyone else you think (incl Phil the Power Taylor) is a sportsman.

He'd eat them all alive.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nope

I understand you think you speak English well, but this is what you actually said:

So given you have made nothing clear in English, I can only assume that English is not your first language.

Bo Jackson > Pele, Bradman, Jimmy White, Tiger Woods, Federer. Lewis Hamilton or anyone else you think (incl Phil the Power Taylor) is a sportsman.

He'd eat them all alive.
Is this going to be one of those times where you repost your "opinion" over and over again until no one disagrees with it anymore? You've already made 4 or 5 on the topic.

We get it. We know what you think. You can end it there.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Lmao you still aren't getting it :laugh:

This is adorable
Nah - it is you who doesn't seem to get it.

Bo could smash the ball with a bat.

He could run 100 as a student in Olympic medal time,

and he dominated the NFL - the biggest money sport in the WORLD for the Raiders, where he evaded teh opposition in front of him with guile, speed and POWER.

And you want to claim Bradman, an amateur in a sport played by stuff all people and even less athletes as better and make my assertion false.

Jackson was a freak of nature. Bradman hit a ball better than most, like Tiger at best.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You know the amount of money in a sport has approximately jack **** to do with its athletic qualities right?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
You know the amount of money in a sport has approximately jack **** to do with its athletic qualities right?
Money is always a relevant factor, especially in global markets. You should have been taught that by now.

Professional sport has been around a long time, as has the saying "go where the money is".

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
That didn't even address my post.
Actually it did.

But if you as an Australian are seriously going to compare Bo Jackson, NFL and MLB hall of famer, to a cricketer played by a few million Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, Saffas and Sub Continent, as the greatest sportsman of all time, I'm going to be this natured.

Tally the gold medals of all those countries, (I'll give you the entire UK even if seeing they're soccer mad and NZ and SA love rugby) and compare them to the USA alone, then we'll talk base points. Because yes, it is that dire.

Bo Jackson would eat Bradman in any speed, endurance, pysical, power, or even in front of challenge. So could he hit a ball? He is an MLB hall of famer already.

Bradman dominated a minor amateur sport in Aus, SA and a few pro's looked down on in Eng. That's it. How that compares to NFL, MLB or the 100m is beyond me, tbh.

Might as well claim Phil the Power Taylor is the Greatest Sportsman in my opinion.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Nah - it is you who doesn't seem to get it.

Bo could smash the ball with a bat.

He could run 100 as a student in Olympic medal time,

and he dominated the NFL - the biggest money sport in the WORLD for the Raiders, where he evaded teh opposition in front of him with guile, speed and POWER.

And you want to claim Bradman, an amateur in a sport played by stuff all people and even less athletes as better and make my assertion false.

Jackson was a freak of nature. Bradman hit a ball better than most, like Tiger at best.
:laugh:

You either genuinely have no clue what I'm talking about, or are deliberately acting obtuse and going through great lengths to not engage with it. Either way, it's hilarious.

It's okay. I made my point. Everyone reading this thread will see you were wrong and unable to accept it :) You don't need to repeat yourself.