• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So I believe most are in agreement that NSW is the strongest first class side in history based on the players who played regularly from there, but surely Queensland must hold the record for producing the best wicket keepers in history.

Healy
Grout
Tallon

All hail from Queensland. That's more ATG keepers than some countries have produced.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
So I believe most are in agreement that NSW is the strongest first class side in history based on the players who played regularly from there, but surely Queensland must hold the record for producing the best wicket keepers in history.

Healy
Grout
Tallon

All hail from Queensland. That's more ATG keepers than some countries have produced.
Well, actually, Kent would have QLD beat I dare say.

Knott, Ames, Evans all played exclusively for Kent. You can also add Geraint Jones and Paul Downton to that list.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Knott, Ames, Evans all played exclusively for Kent. You can also add Geraint Jones and Paul Downton to that list.
Oh god he was a wicket keeper? I always thought he was a cardboard slab that they stuck behind the stumps that occasionally stopped the ball from going for 4 but that's about it

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

that's pretty crazy.

Jock Cameron, Denis Lindsay and John Waite all played FC cricket for Transvaal

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
NSW All Time

Morris
Trumper
Bradman*
Smith
Bevan
Waugh
Gilchrist+ (kinda cheating but **** it)
Gregory
Lindwall
O'Reilly
McGrath

Cheated a bit to get Gilly there but oh well. Hurts not to have Border there, but he mainly played for Queensland. I'm sure I've forgotten someone. Benaud also quite unlucky to miss out.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Davo over Gregory and whichever Waugh you didn’t pick over Bevan but pretty decent innit?

steve132

U19 Debutant
NSW All Time

Morris
Trumper
Bradman*
Smith
Bevan
Waugh
Gregory
Lindwall
O'Reilly
McGrath

Cheated a bit to get Gilly there but oh well. Hurts not to have Border there, but he mainly played for Queensland. I'm sure I've forgotten someone. Benaud also quite unlucky to miss out.
This all time Barbados team would give them a run for their money:

Hunte
Greenidge
Worrell*
Weekes
Walcott
Sobers
Murray (David)
Marshall
Hall
Garner
Martindale

TheJediBrah

NSW All Time

Morris
Trumper
Bradman*
Smith
Bevan
Waugh
Gregory
Lindwall
O'Reilly
McGrath

Bevan? Really? We're talking Tests right? Or just First Class cricket?

He can't play anyway because he's skippering the ACT All Time XI

a massive zebra

International Captain
Completely forgot about Davison but yeah this ios the only non ODI XI Bevan gets a shot in! Absolutely smashed it for NSW.
Yeah Bevan's shield average of 63.57 was higher than any of his contemporaries, and significantly higher than any of them except Ponting (61.17). By means of comparison, Hayden averaged 54.85, Lehmann 54.31, Mark Waugh 53.27, Langer 51.03, Steve Waugh 48.24, Hodge 47.29, Martyn 43.89.

Still, Bevan's shield record is absolutely miles inferior to Bradman, who averaged a pretty much impossible 110.19 in the competition! Very few players in history have averaged 110 in a single season. To do this over an entire career is beyond sanity.

Last edited:

trundler

Bradman's double century ratio is as good as most great batsmen's century ratio. I've always found that fascinating.

a massive zebra

International Captain
You mean Bradman's conversion rate of centuries to double centuries is as good as most great batsmen's conversion rate of fifties to centuries, right?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Matches/innings per double tons. 12 in 80 innings is incredible.
Ah, yes. Bradman holds the world record for most first class double centuries (37), even though many ATG English batsmen such as Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond and Hutton played many times his 338 first class innings.

trundler

Ah, yes. Bradman holds the world record for most first class double centuries (37), even though many ATG English batsmen such as Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond and Hutton played many times his 338 first class innings.
And that triple ton count is firmly out of everyone's reach as well. I say he's the greatest sportsman of all time.