• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All Time Fielding XI

Bob Simpson (c, 4)
Tillekeratne Dilshan (5)
Mark Waugh (6)
Colin Bland
Jonty Rhodes
Derek Randall
Eknath Solkar (7)
Learie Constantine (1)
Roger Harper (3)
George Lohmann (2)
Bob Taylor (w)

This side was selected purely on fielding ability with little regard for batting or bowling calibre, but I have tried to ensure all players are roughly where one would expect in the batting order.
Jimmy for Lohmann perhaps? Otherwise looks pretty good to me

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
According to Ian Chappell, Lillee could bowl everything that McGrath could, and he could do it 10 mph quicker
Chappelli n. An outdated opinion.
Whilst both of them were off stump with some movement (different kinds and degree of movement), McGrath was more effective.

Bolo

State Captain
According to Ian Chappell, Lillee could bowl everything that McGrath could, and he could do it 10 mph quicker
Nah. I feel like he's just talking about moving the ball/variations. Mcgrath had height/bounce that Lillee didn't and greater control. These are Mcgraths t o greatest strengths.

a massive zebra

International Captain
No Ponting or Tallon is ITSTL but pretty good selection.
Tallon was of course one of the best keepers ever but I'm not sure his peerless reputation would be quite as high if it wasn't for the plaudits of Don Bradman who seems to have been slightly biased in favour of players from his own generation. A high proportion of those who saw Taylor consider him to have been the greatest keeper they have ever seen and he was generally recognised as being a level above Alan Knott who was an ATG keeper in his own right. Furthermore, I've seen a fair amount of video coverage of Taylor and his agility and reflexes looked absolutely spectacular. Even so, Bill Frindall once said "Such was his positioning that he seldom had to dive and was rarely seen sprawled on the ground; his timing was so precise that fielder close to him rarely heard the ball meet the glove." Certainly Taylor was a much better keeper than anyone in today's generation of batsmen who keep rather than genius wicketkeepers.

Ponting was of course an outstanding all round fielder but I wanted to give the batting order some credibility and in my book Rhodes was superior at point, Bland superior in the covers and Waugh superior in the slips. That's no insult to Ponting as we are looking at the best fielders ever in these positions.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Jimmy for Lohmann perhaps? Otherwise looks pretty good to me
Yeah, fair call Fred. As you know, Lohmann was recognised as the best slip fielder of his generation, but we already have Simpson and Waugh for these positions and Anderson is excellent elsewhere in the field.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Yeah, fair call Fred. As you know, Lohmann was recognised as the best slip fielder of his generation, but we already have Simpson and Waugh for these positions and Anderson is excellent elsewhere in the field.
Must confess that Lohmann's prowess as a slipper had passed me by :)

a massive zebra

International Captain
Spofforth was known for his athletic fielding too whilst Grace took more catches than many a team's 'keeper.
If catches per match were a good indicator of fielding ability, Kamran Akmal and Geraint Jones should be recognised as better keepers than Bob Taylor and Don Tallon. I have read quite a few cricket books and magazines from the late 19th century and actually WG's brother EM was recognised as a better fielder than the Champion.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Ponting was of course an outstanding all round fielder but I wanted to give the batting order some credibility and in my book Rhodes was superior at point, Bland superior in the covers and Waugh superior in the slips. That's no insult to Ponting as we are looking at the best fielders ever in these positions.
Woah, you want to give the batting order credibility so you don't pick the guy who was the better overall fielder than at least 2 of those those three (haven't seen enough Bland) specific positions or not and was a far better bat than any of those three.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Trent Boult. Best fast bowling fielder I've ever seen.
Alan Davidson was highly regarded as a fielder, by all account great close in. Nicknamed "The Claw" for his catching ability.

Brett Lee and Heath Streak were two other quick bowlers who were outstanding fielders on the boundary. Always rated Merv on the fence as well, for both fielding and entertainment.

Bolo

State Captain
Alan Davidson was highly regarded as a fielder, by all account great close in. Nicknamed "The Claw" for his catching ability.

Brett Lee and Heath Streak were two other quick bowlers who were outstanding fielders on the boundary. Always rated Merv on the fence as well, for both fielding and entertainment.
Merv on the boundary was a joy I'd forgotten. So entertaining.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Trent Boult. Best fast bowling fielder I've ever seen.
Easily the best I've ever seen too. It is a shame there isn't much video of Constantine, because Boult is easily and by far the best of the tv era for mine hands down (he's in the debate for best catchers fullstop), and Constatine is highly regarded for fielding in the pre-tv era.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Really? He was supposedly very loved by the town of Nelson - they still honor him to this day don't they? Saw him as one of their own local boys.
This is very true. He did after all spend a lot in England & eventually became an MBE. On his first tour there though he hated fielding in England cause he'd have to wear two jumpers and the cold weather made the ball tough and nasty to handle.

stephen

A West Indian partnership XI:
Haynes
Greenidge
Worrell
Weekes
Walcott
Sobers
Murray
Marshall
Garner
Ramadhin
Valentine

Australia:
Lawry
Simpson
Bradman
McCabe
Archie Jackson
Miller
Tallon
Gillespie
McGrath
O'Reilly
Grimmett

Felt inclined to include Bradman. Could go Ponting-Waugh-Waugh. Openers could be Ponsford and Woodfull, or Hayden-Langer.
What about Warne/McGrath and Miller/Lindwall/Davidson for the bowling attack. You could then run Hayden/Langer/Gilchrist since Hayden had notable partnerships with both. Bradman/McCabe/Harvey since Bradman was an invincible with Harvey and Harvey had a notable batting partnership with Miller.

Hayden
Langer
Bradman
McCabe
Harvey
Miller
Gilchrist
Davidson
Warne
Lindwall
McGrath

This side would be incredible.