Cricket Player Manager
Page 37 of 247 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Thought that in one of SJS' posts about Lindwall, the man himself said that any similarity was coincidental.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Thought that in one of SJS' posts about Lindwall, the man himself said that any similarity was coincidental.
    In his autobiography Lindwall said that the first Test he ever saw was the first of the Bodyline series, so he would have been 11 - he did say that Larwood made a great impression on him, but added that despite acknowledging the many similarities in their actions, that he never consciously set out to copy him. I've read the story that he copied Larwood a number of times, so either someone has wrongly jumped to that conclusion and that view has been repeated down the years, or perhaps in 1954 Lindwall didn't fancy acknowledging that he had deliberately modelled his action on a Pom

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Tangy with the goods I'd estimate a 20 average or thereabouts.

For me the best team would be...

Jager's XI
    1. Jack Hobbs
    2. Herbert Sutcliffe
    3. Barry Richards
    4. Don Bradman
    5. Keith Miller*
    6. Garfield Sobers
    7. Mike Procter
    8. Don Tallon †
    9. Harold Larwood
    10. -
    11. -

The last spots can be any of 10. Verity/Warne/O'Reilly or 11. Marshall/Donald/Ambrose/Davidson/Waqar. Just can't choose!
    Can I go on record and say that this the weakest world 11 that I have ever seen, but that I really like the Procter pick and one that I am considering. Also one of the reasons.that I include Tendulkar and Imran is that a world 11 should be representative and the subcontinent should have a presence, not neccecerily both, but a presence.
    btw Miller is the most over rated pure batsman on CW, we can use the back injury, but Hutto, Lillee and Sobers all also has serious injuries and that fact that he bowled should matter as so did Sobers and Kallis and Sobers probably bowled as much overs as him, will check though.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Can I go on record and say that this the weakest world 11 that I have ever seen, but that I really like the Procter pick and one that I am considering. Also one of the reasons.that I include Tendulkar and Imran is that a world 11 should be representative and the subcontinent should have a presence, not neccecerily both, but a presence.
    btw Miller is the most over rated pure batsman on CW, we can use the back injury, but Hutto, Lillee and Sobers all also has serious injuries and that fact that he bowled should matter as so did Sobers and Kallis and Sobers probably bowled as much overs as him, will check though.
    Dude, you just sent daggers through jager's heart
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Don't you think he is over rated? Jager over romaticises a lot of players, ie Larwood and Miller.

He was a very good player no doubt about it. I don't think too many ppl over rate him. In fact overall he might be under rated given how many ppl don't even take him into consideration when coming up with all time lists. He is over rated by Jager though who seems to be omni-present in all the ATG threads of late

I always think that Miller and Imran Smali Khan are battling each other for that all rounder position in the all time world XI so I'm always shocked to see Miller batting as high as 5 particularly with the brilliant Sobers at 6.

Barry Richards at 3 ahead of Bradman baffles me more though.

I've not posted an XI for a while but I've got 9 spots locked in.
    They are: Hutton, Hobbs, Bradman, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist, Imran, Warne, Marshall.
    Last edited by NUFAN; 25-09-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    He was a very good player no doubt about it. I don't think too many ppl over rate him. In fact overall he might be under rated given how many ppl don't even take him into consideration when coming up with all time lists. He is over rated by Jager though who seems to be omni-present in all the ATG threads of late
    Didn't say that Miller the player is over rated, said Miller the batsman is over rated, have no prob with him in the first team, but not as a fifth bolwer batting at 5, weakens the batting and doesn't bowl that much.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I always think that Miller and Imran Smali Khan are battling each other for that all rounder position in the all time world XI so I'm always shocked to see Miller batting as high as 5 particularly with the brilliant Sobers at 6.

nice.....

but yeah, agree with the above.

Didn't say that Miller the player is over rated, said Miller the batsman is over rated, have no prob with him in the first team, but not as a fifth bolwer batting at 5, weakens the batting and doesn't bowl that much.
    Definitely over rated for batting at number 5. He could bat at 7 in an ATXI I think.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Definitely over rated for batting at number 5. He could bat at 7 in an ATXI I think.
    You could put him at 6, IMO. It fairness, Jager has his own reasons for refusing Miller to bat at 6.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar

They are: Hutton, Hobbs, Bradman, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist, Imran, Warne, Marshall.
    I'd probably go for something like this:

1. Len Hutton
    2. Jack Hobbs
    3. Donald Bradman
    4. Sachin Tendulkar
    5. Viv Richards
    6. Garry Sobers
    7. Adam Gilchrist†
    8. Imran Khan
    9. Richard Hadlee
    10. Shane Warne
    11. Malcolm Marshall

Could swap Hadlee out for someone like McGrath/Akram.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    IMO the question is how much better a bowler Lindwall is than Miller. If the difference is negligible, then it wouldn't be entirely implausible to bat Miller at 8 and give him free reign to bat with reckless abandon.

I quite like this scenario because it gives a lot of freedom to make a terrifyingly deep batting line-up with most of the middle-order ATGs getting a go (and compiled with the Windies four-prong in mind):

1. Ponsford
    2. Hayden
    3. Bradman
    4. Chappell
    5. Border
    6. Waugh
    7. Gilchrist
    8. Miller
    9. Warne
    10. Lillee
    11. McGrath

Try and bowl that out. Go on.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Baffled by Richards at 3, and Larwood as first choice pacer.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Baffled by Richards at 3, and Larwood as first choice pacer.
    Personal LHC XI:

1. S. Gavaskar
    2. B. Richards
    3. D. Bradman
    4. W. Hammond
    5. G. Sobers
    6. A. Gilchrist
    7. Kapil Dev
    8. Wasim Akram
    9. S. Warne
    10. D. Lillee
    11. M. Muralitharan
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 25-09-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Thread Information