Cricket Player Manager
Page 37 of 247 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 555 of 3693
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

  1. #541
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,473
    Thought that in one of SJS' posts about Lindwall, the man himself said that any similarity was coincidental.

  2. #542
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,351
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Thought that in one of SJS' posts about Lindwall, the man himself said that any similarity was coincidental.
    In his autobiography Lindwall said that the first Test he ever saw was the first of the Bodyline series, so he would have been 11 - he did say that Larwood made a great impression on him, but added that despite acknowledging the many similarities in their actions, that he never consciously set out to copy him. I've read the story that he copied Larwood a number of times, so either someone has wrongly jumped to that conclusion and that view has been repeated down the years, or perhaps in 1954 Lindwall didn't fancy acknowledging that he had deliberately modelled his action on a Pom

  3. #543
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Tangy with the goods I'd estimate a 20 average or thereabouts.

    For me the best team would be...

    Jager's XI
    1. Jack Hobbs
    2. Herbert Sutcliffe
    3. Barry Richards
    4. Don Bradman
    5. Keith Miller*
    6. Garfield Sobers
    7. Mike Procter
    8. Don Tallon †
    9. Harold Larwood
    10. -
    11. -


    The last spots can be any of 10. Verity/Warne/O'Reilly or 11. Marshall/Donald/Ambrose/Davidson/Waqar. Just can't choose!
    Can I go on record and say that this the weakest world 11 that I have ever seen, but that I really like the Procter pick and one that I am considering. Also one of the reasons.that I include Tendulkar and Imran is that a world 11 should be representative and the subcontinent should have a presence, not neccecerily both, but a presence.
    btw Miller is the most over rated pure batsman on CW, we can use the back injury, but Hutto, Lillee and Sobers all also has serious injuries and that fact that he bowled should matter as so did Sobers and Kallis and Sobers probably bowled as much overs as him, will check though.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2


    W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

    S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

    Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

  4. #544
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,076
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Can I go on record and say that this the weakest world 11 that I have ever seen, but that I really like the Procter pick and one that I am considering. Also one of the reasons.that I include Tendulkar and Imran is that a world 11 should be representative and the subcontinent should have a presence, not neccecerily both, but a presence.
    btw Miller is the most over rated pure batsman on CW, we can use the back injury, but Hutto, Lillee and Sobers all also has serious injuries and that fact that he bowled should matter as so did Sobers and Kallis and Sobers probably bowled as much overs as him, will check though.
    Dude, you just sent daggers through jager's heart
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta


  5. #545
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,250
    Don't you think he is over rated? Jager over romaticises a lot of players, ie Larwood and Miller.

  6. #546
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,076
    He was a very good player no doubt about it. I don't think too many ppl over rate him. In fact overall he might be under rated given how many ppl don't even take him into consideration when coming up with all time lists. He is over rated by Jager though who seems to be omni-present in all the ATG threads of late

  7. #547
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,396
    I always think that Miller and Imran Smali Khan are battling each other for that all rounder position in the all time world XI so I'm always shocked to see Miller batting as high as 5 particularly with the brilliant Sobers at 6.

    Barry Richards at 3 ahead of Bradman baffles me more though.

    I've not posted an XI for a while but I've got 9 spots locked in.
    They are: Hutton, Hobbs, Bradman, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist, Imran, Warne, Marshall.
    Last edited by NUFAN; 25-09-2012 at 05:57 AM.

  8. #548
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,250
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    He was a very good player no doubt about it. I don't think too many ppl over rate him. In fact overall he might be under rated given how many ppl don't even take him into consideration when coming up with all time lists. He is over rated by Jager though who seems to be omni-present in all the ATG threads of late
    Didn't say that Miller the player is over rated, said Miller the batsman is over rated, have no prob with him in the first team, but not as a fifth bolwer batting at 5, weakens the batting and doesn't bowl that much.

  9. #549
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,076
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I always think that Miller and Imran Smali Khan are battling each other for that all rounder position in the all time world XI so I'm always shocked to see Miller batting as high as 5 particularly with the brilliant Sobers at 6.

    nice.....

    but yeah, agree with the above.

  10. #550
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,076
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Didn't say that Miller the player is over rated, said Miller the batsman is over rated, have no prob with him in the first team, but not as a fifth bolwer batting at 5, weakens the batting and doesn't bowl that much.
    Definitely over rated for batting at number 5. He could bat at 7 in an ATXI I think.

  11. #551
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    7,013
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Definitely over rated for batting at number 5. He could bat at 7 in an ATXI I think.
    You could put him at 6, IMO. It fairness, Jager has his own reasons for refusing Miller to bat at 6.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

  12. #552
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,202
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I always think that Miller and Imran Smali Khan are battling each other for that all rounder position in the all time world XI so I'm always shocked to see Miller batting as high as 5 particularly with the brilliant Sobers at 6.

    Barry Richards at 3 ahead of Bradman baffles me more though.

    I've not posted an XI for a while but I've got 9 spots locked in.
    They are: Hutton, Hobbs, Bradman, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist, Imran, Warne, Marshall.
    I'd probably go for something like this:

    1. Len Hutton
    2. Jack Hobbs
    3. Donald Bradman
    4. Sachin Tendulkar
    5. Viv Richards
    6. Garry Sobers
    7. Adam Gilchrist†
    8. Imran Khan
    9. Richard Hadlee
    10. Shane Warne
    11. Malcolm Marshall


    Could swap Hadlee out for someone like McGrath/Akram.

  13. #553
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,681
    IMO the question is how much better a bowler Lindwall is than Miller. If the difference is negligible, then it wouldn't be entirely implausible to bat Miller at 8 and give him free reign to bat with reckless abandon.

    I quite like this scenario because it gives a lot of freedom to make a terrifyingly deep batting line-up with most of the middle-order ATGs getting a go (and compiled with the Windies four-prong in mind):

    1. Ponsford
    2. Hayden
    3. Bradman
    4. Chappell
    5. Border
    6. Waugh
    7. Gilchrist
    8. Miller
    9. Warne
    10. Lillee
    11. McGrath

    Try and bowl that out. Go on.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

  14. #554
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,250
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I always think that Miller and Imran Smali Khan are battling each other for that all rounder position in the all time world XI so I'm always shocked to see Miller batting as high as 5 particularly with the brilliant Sobers at 6.

    Barry Richards at 3 ahead of Bradman baffles me more though.

    I've not posted an XI for a while but I've got 9 spots locked in.
    They are: Hutton, Hobbs, Bradman, Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist, Imran, Warne, Marshall.
    Baffled by Richards at 3, and Larwood as first choice pacer.

  15. #555
    International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nursing a broken ****ing arm
    Posts
    5,681
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Baffled by Richards at 3, and Larwood as first choice pacer.
    Personal LHC XI:

    1. S. Gavaskar
    2. B. Richards
    3. D. Bradman
    4. W. Hammond
    5. G. Sobers
    6. A. Gilchrist
    7. Kapil Dev
    8. Wasim Akram
    9. S. Warne
    10. D. Lillee
    11. M. Muralitharan
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 25-09-2012 at 10:26 PM.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thread Hijacks
    By sledger in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 05:32 PM
  2. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 06:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •