• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

bagapath

International Captain
Jayasurya
Ganguly
Sangakara +
Miandad
De Silva
S.Waugh *
Flintoff
Lee
Murali
Waqar
Donald

ODI XI made up of rejects
Can win a world cup imo

Shri

Mr. Glass
Glass XI

1. Lokesh Rahul
2. Chris Gayle
3. Shane Watson
4. Michael Clarke
5. Jacob Oram
6. Daniel Vettori
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Shane Bond
9. Ryan Harris
10. Zaheer Khan
11. Shoaib Akhtar

Unsurprisingly, it was tough finding batsmen for that XI.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That would be my selection.
I'd never take issue with Watto being in an ATG side. Such an underrated ODI cricketer. Devastating batsman and a better 5th bowler than most other options.

Red

Greenidge
Worrell
Headley
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Gibbs/Garner/Roberts

Red

Select 8 commentators, past or present, to commentate an epic test series.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Richie Benaud, John Arlott, Jack Bannister, Tony Greig, Alan McGilvray, Tony Cozier, Geoff Boycott and Henry Blofeld, for a bit of fun.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richie Benaud, John Arlott, Jack Bannister, Tony Greig, Alan McGilvray, Tony Cozier, Geoff Boycott and Henry Blofeld, for a bit of fun.
Good choice, except for the last one - I really can't stand Blofeld, although possibly not all his fault - brother was Mr Justice Blofeld - utter and complete **** and a wholly risible man - when the milk of human kindness was given out Blofeld J must have been round the back of the shed torturing weak and helpless animals

For the light relief I'd go for Jeremy Coney - very witty man

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Good choice, except for the last one - I really can't stand Blofeld, although possibly not all his fault - brother was Mr Justice Blofeld - utter and complete **** and a wholly risible man - when the milk of human kindness was given out Blofeld J must have been round the back of the shed torturing weak and helpless animals

Good old Henry. I remember Brian Close buckling at the knees during the assault by Michael Holding at Old Trafford in 1976 and Henry Blofeld said he lost his balance.

watson

Banned
ALL-TIME NORTH V SOUTH –*WHO WINS?

The North v South game in the UAE got us thinking here in the All Out Cricket office. If England’s best-ever northerners took on England’s best-ever southerners… who would win? We set to work.

First things first, we needed advocates. Ed Kemp (Hampshire) picks the South XI, Henry Cowen (Worcestershire, it’ll have to do) is in charge of the North XI.

A few criteria: generally speaking we’ve gone for birthplace over the county that players played for (Gower and Beefy could qualify for either team, really, but it feels right as is) and we’ve left out England’s imported stars – your KPs, your D’Oliveiras, your Greigs – just for ease of understanding who’s north and who’s south.

NORTH
1. Hutton*

2. Sutcliffe

3. Boycott

4. Vaughan

5. Root

6. Botham

7. Rhodes

8. Taylor+

9. Trueman

10. Statham

11. Anderson

SQUAD: Atherton, Amiss, Illingworth, Verity, Flintoff, Larwood

Firstly, what an honour it is to be selecting the North XI. Clearly, clearly*this bunch will demolish the South XI. It’s barely a debate. The reasoning is simple: bowlers win you Test matches, and we’ve got so many of them that Stuart Broad (368 Test wickets) doesn’t even make the squad.

Sir Len and Herbie pick themselves up top – just the 90,810 first-class runs between them – and then if you can get past them you’ve got Boycs, and he needs no introduction. Vaughany gets the nod at No.4 to remind everyone that the north can deal in style and flair just as much as it can grit and determination. At No.5 there’s a young pup, England’s newest Test skipper.

Beef’s allegiances may be split but he balances this team like a dream. If we’re four down for not many, maybe Wilfred Rhodes pops above him in the order to shore things up. He always was versatile. Stoke’s finest has the gloves and then it’s Trueman, Statham, Anderson. Good luck dealing with them.

We’ve got depth, as well. I wanted Atherton in the starting XI but openers seem to grow on trees in the north so he’ll have to run the drinks and sort out the team’s quiz night. Amiss and Illingworth are very able back-ups and Hedley Verity is pushing hard for Rhodes’ place. There’s room for Freddie and Harold Larwood – but sadly we couldn’t squeeze in Frank Tyson, Broad or Darren Gough, despite them all being brilliant. The game’s ours.

SOUTH
1.*Gooch

2. Hobbs

3. Hammond

4. May*

5.*Barrington

6. D. Compton

7. Knott

8. A. Bedser

9. Underwood

10. Snow

11. Willis

SQUAD: Cook, Gower, Stewart, Lock, Laker,*Tate

We have to face the fact that the stereotypes are true. If you’re looking for fast bowlers, you have to start in the north. We’ve managed to eke out a good attack here but the next highest wicket-taker of the south’s out-and-out seamers is Gus Fraser – a good bowler but not a great.

In this XI, the controlled craftsmanship of Bedser is complemented by Snow’s more mercurial gifts, and Willis completes a worthy trio, though even bustling Bob – England’s fourth-highest wicket-taker ever – only just sneaks in, his southern upbringing and time at Surrey making up for a northern birth and the fact that most of his career was spent at Warwickshire. Sussex’s sturdy Bedser forerunner Maurice Tate acts as back-up.

Spinners though? Why, dozens of the fellows! Jim Laker has been nudged aside by Deadly Del for the latter’s greater longevity in brilliance, and the fact that Laker, though a Surrey lifer, was really a northerner. And just look at who else is in the hutch: Tony Lock, Fred Titmus, John Emburey and Phil Edmonds. Alan Knott takes the gloves and will be delighted to join up with his great partner Underwood after all these years.

The only reason we need bowlers of course, is to give*the batsmen something to hit. And, unsurprisingly, the south boasts many a record run-maker.

Goochie beats off stiff competition from his Essex protégé Cook to pair up with the Master Jack Hobbs, providing the perfect platform for perhaps the greatest of all, Wally Hammond, at No.3. Peter May has to skipper the side and Kenny Barrington will bat for weeks to drain the spirit of even the most sturdily backsided yeoman seamer. Compton is the very essence of the southern stereotype: dashingly brilliant and with great hair – he’s a shoo-in, and given his professional career with Arsenal, likely to thrive in the pre-match football warm-up. He completes a thrilling line-up and ensures that while it will certainly win matches, it will also steal hearts.

England's North v England's South ? Who Wins?
Quite like the SOUTH XI but the NORTH XI is all wrong. For starters, Boycott would never agree to give up his opening spot; not even for Hutton or Sutcliffe. So I've put the defensive minded Sutcliffe at 5 to anchor the middle-order.

Also Verity was a better left-armer than Rhodes, and the dynamic duo of Botham and Flintoff look too good together at 6 and 7. Leaving Harold Larwood out of an ATG Northern team is just plain silly.

NORTH
1. Hutton*

2. Boycott

3. Vaughan

4. Root

5. Sutcliffe

6. Botham

7. Flintoff

8. Taylor+

9. Verity

10. Larwood

11. Trueman

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I'd have thought they should be split into North and South by where they were based for the bulk of their county career, so Botham would be South, Gower and Willis North.

Also, Barnes should at least be in the squad for the North.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year

Yes, the comm box could always use a bit of Jeremy Coney. I'd have a luncheon interval show hosted by him and Nasser Hussain.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have thought they should be split into North and South by where they were based for the bulk of their county career, so Botham would be South, Gower and Willis North.

Also, Barnes should at least be in the squad for the North.
If you have Botham in the South though, it really is a no brainer. South takes this anyway, in my mind.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of North vs South, I'm sure this has been done before, but North Hemisphere vs South Hemisphere

Hayden
Morris
Bradman*
Chappell
Kallis
Border
Gilchrist+
Hadlee
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hammond
Tendulkar
Lara
Sobers
Knott
Imran*
Wasim
Marshall
Murali

Red

Quite like the SOUTH XI but the NORTH XI is all wrong. For starters, Boycott would never agree to give up his opening spot; not even for Hutton or Sutcliffe. So I've put the defensive minded Sutcliffe at 5 to anchor the middle-order.

Also Verity was a better left-armer than Rhodes, and the dynamic duo of Botham and Flintoff look too good together at 6 and 7. Leaving Harold Larwood out of an ATG Northern team is just plain silly.

NORTH
1. Hutton*

2. Boycott

3. Vaughan

4. Root

5. Sutcliffe

6. Botham

7. Flintoff

8. Taylor+

9. Verity

10. Larwood

11. Trueman
IMO Hutton is the greatest opener there's ever been, but that said, I'd be inclined to put him at #3 in this XI to allow Boycott and Sutcliffe to open, mostly because I think Hutton has a more adaptable game. I'd slot Amiss in as well, at Vaughan's expense.

1. Sutcliffe

2. Boycott

3. Hutton

4. Amiss

5. Root

6. Botham

7. Flintoff

8. Rhodes
9. Taylor +
10. Larwood

11. Trueman

Red

Australia Convicts (NSW, Qld, TAS) vs Australia Free Settlers (Vic, SA, WA)

Convicts

Hayden
Trumper
Ponting
McCabe
Waugh
Border
Healy
Davidson
Lindwall
O'Reilly
McGrath

Free Settlers

Langer
Lawry
Bradman
G.Chappell
Miller
Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
Lillee
Alderman

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
An England Eleven who played Test Cricket during my Father's lifetime.

1.Hobbs
2.Hutton
3.Compton
4.Hammond
5.May
6.Bailey
7.Evans
8.Truman
9.Larwood
10.Laker
11.Tyson