• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara=Tendulkar>Ponting>Kallis=Dravid.
The top three just a touch above the other two though. And yes the ability to dominate an attack and set the tempo for an innings does count or Barrington would be rated higher than Viv.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sachin is only considered the best because 40 trillion Indians with internet are adamant he is. In reality, you can't split them easily.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Lara=Tendulkar>Ponting>Kallis=Dravid.
The top three just a touch above the other two though. And yes the ability to dominate an attack and set the tempo for an innings does count or Barrington would be rated higher than Viv.
It's funny that so many people don't realize that Kallis had the ability to dominate an attack. I honestly believe that Kallis has at least as much ability to do so than all but possibly Lara. His role in the team, though, was to be the anchor. In recent years, since the arrival of Amla and de Villiers, Kallis has become more free-flowing - showing that he can do it; it just wasn't in his role description.

Jager

International Debutant
The idea of this team is to win matches as fast as possible. They can bowl a team out fast and then pile on a huge score quickly.

Sehwag
Trumper
B Richards
V Richards
Hill
Gilchrist
Younis
Steyn
Marshall
Donald
Barnes

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The idea of this team is to win matches as fast as possible. They can bowl a team out fast and then pile on a huge score quickly.

Sehwag
Trumper
B Richards
V Richards
Hill
Gilchrist
Younis
Steyn
Marshall
Donald
Barnes
Interestting idea, but your batting order is all wrong :p

Sehwag
Richards
Hill
Richards
Trumper
Miller
Gilchrist
Marshall
Younis
Bond
Barnes

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Top Ten Batsman

Don Bradman
George Headley
Jack Hobbs
Garry Sobers
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Greg Chappell
Wally Hammond
Graeme Pollock

Red

Sehwag
Trumper
B Richards
V Richards
Hill
Gilchrist
Younis
Steyn
Marshall
Donald
Barnes
I'd still have Bradman. Was a very quick scorer.

V. Sehwag
B. Richards
V. Richards
D. Bradman
V. Trumper
A. Gilchrist
K. Miller
M. Marshall
D. Steyn
W. Younis
SF. Barnes

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Since I am at it

Top 10 Bowlers

Malcolm Marshall
Glenn Mcgrath
Curtly Ambrose
Dennis Lillee
Ray Lindwall
Imran Khan
Fred Trueman
Michael Holding
Wasim Akram
Richard Hadlee

Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Bill O'Reilly
Jim Laker
Clarrie Grimmett
Hedley Verity
Anil Kumble
Richie Benaud
Erapalli Prasanna
Lance Gibbs

JBMAC

State Captain
Since I am at it

Top 10 Bowlers

Malcolm Marshall
Glenn Mcgrath
Curtly Ambrose
Dennis Lillee
Ray Lindwall
Imran Khan
Fred Trueman
Michael Holding
Wasim Akram
Richard Hadlee

Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Bill O'Reilly
Jim Laker
Clarrie Grimmett
Hedley Verity
Anil Kumble
Richie Benaud
Erapalli Prasanna
Lance Gibbs
Bit rough leaving out Bishen Bedi in that bottom lot

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin is only considered the best because 40 trillion Indians with internet are adamant he is. In reality, you can't split them easily.
What cracks me up is that same argument doesn't get applied to someone like Shane Warne. What is that word that starts with 'h' ?

Jager

International Debutant
What cracks me up is that same argument doesn't get applied to someone like Shane Warne. What is that word that starts with 'h' ?
Just can't understand people who don't rate Tendulkar at least Lara's equal.

Red

Hypocrisy? I don't think I was being hypocritical. My point was that so many Indians inundate internet discussions saying how good he is, that weight of numbers sway things towards him being considered above the others.

I saw a cricinfo article once on the greatest left handed batsmen of history. So naturally, Lara, Sobers, Pollock, Harvey, Sangakkara etc were discussed. In the comments section (I kid you not), there were about 45 comments along the lines of "what, no Tendulkar", or "where's Sachin?"

If someone says to me, "I rate Murali above Warne", I don't argue the point with them. That's fair enough. As is saying "Tendulkar is better than Lara". But neither are clear cut.

Eds

International Debutant
Kallis isn't in the same class as Tendulkar or Lara, but it'd be more than harsh to group him with Dravid (however likeable the latter may be).

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
To a large part I agree, one has to dig or nit pick to separate them. With Lara vs Sachin it's sachins consisrentcy, Warne vs Murali, it's mural's difference btwn home and away stats and total of matches vs the minnows. Most would disagree but that is how i separate them.

Mike5181

International Captain
To a large part I agree, one has to dig or nit pick to separate them. With Lara vs Sachin it's sachins consisrentcy, Warne vs Murali, it's mural's difference btwn home and away stats and total of matches vs the minnows. Most would disagree but that is how i separate them.
Yeah, Murali has 176 wickets vs minnows. Warne has 17. Their records are pretty similar against non-minnows.

watson

Banned
The fearsome fifteen: a look at the great bowlers

....It does not matter which route is taken, be it the high road or low road, be it the country road or the highway, be it the scenic route or the road through the concrete jungle, there is only one destination. The one which proclaims Muralitharan as the best amongst the equals. Let no one forget the X-factor here, the impact Muralitharan has had on Sri Lankan cricket. Glenn McGrath comes in next, a well-deserved place for this outstanding metronome. Richard Hadlee, the legendary fast bowler from down under clocks in the third position. Malcolm Marshall, that fearsome Bajan fast bowling "giant" is in fourth position, closely followed by the other Caribbean giant, this time physically also, Curtley Ambrose.

Imran Khan follows next, a well-deserved position for this wonderful bowler, batsman and born leader of men, despite playing in quite a few tests as a batsman. Dennis Lillee, one of the all-time greats, follows next. He is the highest placed bowler who does not lead in any category. Alan Donald is in seventh position, closely followed by the other West Indian giant, Joel Garner. Now comes Shane Warne, a well-deserved top-10 position for this magician.

It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo
According to this limited study the order of preference is;

01. Murali
02. McGrath
03. Hadlee
04. Marshall
05. Ambrose
06. Imran
07. Lillee
08. Donald
09. Garner
10. Warne