• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why dont we try posting AT XIs of the players we have seen for each team?

India:

Sehwag
Vijay
Dravid*
Sachin
Kohli
Dhoni +
Kapil
Ashwin
Kumble
Zaheer
Srinath

Srinath to bowl first change.

WI:

Haynes
Gayle*
Lara
Hooper
Chanderpaul
Sarwan
Jacobs+
Bishop
Ambrose
Taylor
Walsh

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Why dont we try posting AT XIs of the players we have seen for each team?
Aust

Taylor
Slater
Ponting
M.Waugh
S.Waugh
Border
Gilchrist +
Warne
Gillespie
McDermott
McGrath

Eng

Gooch
Cook
Gower
Pietersen
Thorpe
Flintoff
Prior +
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Gough

WI

Haynes
Greenidge
Richards
Lara
Lloyd
Hooper
Dujon
Marshall
Garner
Ambrose
Walsh

DriveClub

International Regular
Aust

Taylor
Slater
Ponting
M.Waugh
S.Waugh
Border
Gilchrist +
Warne
Gillespie
McDermott
McGrath

Eng

Gooch
Cook
Gower
Pietersen
Thorpe
Flintoff
Prior +
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Gough

WI

Haynes
Greenidge
Richards
Lara
Lloyd
Hooper
Dujon
Marshall
Garner
Ambrose
Walsh
Are Taylor and Slater better than Hayden and Langer? Also mark Waugh better than marto?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Are Taylor and Slater better than Hayden and Langer? Also mark Waugh better than marto?
Toss a coin between T&S and H&L, but I prefer the earlier combo, and I feel they faced better attacks. Hayden is my most disliked cricketer and I would never pick him in a team for a few reasons. I think he's overrated, I think he was suss against high quality pace, and I hate what a prick he was but then he crossed himself when he made a ton.

Always MWaugh over Martyn for me. MWaugh is my fave cricketer, and in addition to being the most perfect batsman to watch, he was a better than handy part time offie and medium pacer, and every bit as good a fielder as anyone else I've seen.

DriveClub

International Regular
Toss a coin between T&S and H&L, but I prefer the earlier combo, and I feel they faced better attacks. Hayden is my most disliked cricketer and I would never pick him in a team for a few reasons. I think he's overrated, I think he was suss against high quality pace, and I hate what a prick he was but then he crossed himself when he made a ton.

Always MWaugh over Martyn for me. MWaugh is my fave cricketer, and in addition to being the most perfect batsman to watch, he was a better than handy part time offie and medium pacer, and every bit as good a fielder as anyone else I've seen.
What about T&L as a combo? That would be decent, I hate hayden as well, I also hate Slater.

I think you need marto if you're in subcontinent, absolutely gun there. Didn't M Waugh underachieve in tests?

Also as an aside how the hell did m. Waugh play 368 fc matches when he was a full time international cricketer? These days if you're a international cricketer playing all 3 formats it's impossible to play domestic cricket.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Was browsing a site which posts old pages from Viz yesterday and it had an odd spoof article (NSFW as you might expect from Viz) on "Jeanette Krankie's All Time Cricket Test XI". The only real joke in it is the overall concept; the XI named is:

Graham Gooch
John Edrich
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Farokh Engineer+
Denis Compton
Imran Khan
Sir Richard Hadlee (captain)
Dennis Lillee
Harold Larwood
Derek Underwood
12th man: WG Grace

Besides the "surprise omission of Dr WG Grace, perhaps the greatest cricketer of all time, who only scrapes in as twelfth man", Allan Knott, Fred Trueman and Bob Willis are mentioned as other players who could have been picked.

No date on it but it has to be from 1990 or later for the "Sir Richard Hadlee", and probably not long after that to have him and Gooch in the side. Not a ridiculous line-up by any means, though Edrich and Engineer are unusual picks, so I'm guessing the article was by a fan of county cricket around 1970!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia

Taylor
Hayden
Ponting
Chappell, G
TOTAB*
S Waugh
Gilchrist+
Warne
Lillee
Thomson
McGrath

12th: Doug Walters

WI

Haynes
Greenidge
Viv
Sobers (saw him in a country charity game as a kid)
Lara
Rowe
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Garner

12th: Gibbs

Would like to see a game between those two sides.

England

Boycott
Gooch
Gower
Root
Pietersen
Botham
Grieg
Knott
Snow
Swann
Anderson

12th: Flintoff

India

Gsvaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohl
Kapil
Dhoni
Ashwin
Kumble
Zaheer Khan
Bedi/ Harby

Pakistan

Anwar
Sohail
Younis
Javed
Abbas
Inzamam
Imran
Moin Khan
Wasim
Waqar
Qadir/ Saqlain

NZ

Wright
Turner
Williamson
Crowe
Jones
Fleming
Mccullum
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Boult

12th: Cairns

SL

Sanath
Mendis
Sanga
Aravinda
Mahela
Ranatunga
PJ Jayawardene
Vaas
Murali
Herath
Not sure the other pacer tbh

SA

G Kirsten
Smith
Amla
Cullinan
De Villiers
de Kock
McMillan
Pollock
Steyn
Donald

Wanted to include a spinner but none worthy

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
@Burgey - No Kallis in that SA XI? Or have I missed something. Big fan of Cullinan though, always felt he got a hard time (Warne issues aside), and by about the turn of the century, when JK was just a batting alrounder and not yet the run machine he became, he was probably SA's best bat.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Australia

Taylor
Hayden
Ponting
Chappell, G
TOTAB*
S Waugh
Gilchrist+
Warne
Lillee
Thomson
McGrath

12th: Doug Walters

WI

Haynes
Greenidge
Viv
Sobers (saw him in a country charity game as a kid)
Lara
Rowe
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Garner

12th: Gibbs

Would like to see a game between those two sides.

England

Boycott
Gooch
Gower
Root
Pietersen
Botham
Grieg
Knott
Snow
Swann
Anderson

12th: Flintoff

India

Gsvaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohl
Kapil
Dhoni
Ashwin
Kumble
Zaheer Khan
Bedi/ Harby

Pakistan

Anwar
Sohail
Younis
Javed
Abbas
Inzamam
Imran
Moin Khan
Wasim
Waqar
Qadir/ Saqlain

NZ

Wright
Turner
Williamson
Crowe
Jones
Fleming
Mccullum
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Boult

SL

Sanath
Mendis
Sanga
Aravinda
Mahela
Ranatunga
PJ Jayawardene
Vaas
Murali
Herath
Not sure the other pacer tbh

SA

G Kirsten
Smith
Amla
Cullinan
De Villiers
de Kock
McMillan
Pollock
Steyn
Donald

Wanted to include a spinner but none worthy
Yes De Kock over Kallis no doubt :)

listento_me

U19 Captain
stewart wouldn't even make an england xi over the past 25 years as wk/batsman. he averaged in the low 30s combining the two. matt prior is vastly superior.
My batting goes all the way to 8, Stewart is fine. Although Prior getting a shout ahead won't hear many complaints from me.

At least one of, if not both, Aubrey Faulkner and Hugh Tayfield.

Ntini should'nt be considered when there's already three quicks plus Kallis. I'd have Procter ahead of him anyway. My SA XI is:

B.Richards
Smith *
Kallis
G.Pollock
Nourse
AB DeVilliers +
Faulkner/S.Pollock
Procter
Tayfield
Steyn
Donald
We're supposed to pick all time great teams, how am I supposed to pick that and then not include Ntini who had an out and out greater career than Tayfield and Faulkner?

From your posting pattern I can tell you go for lots of historical players who you've never seen or very little. That's fine but to then try and down play genuinely great cricketers with extended, great careers is just plain ridiculous.

Zinzan

Wright
Turner
Williamson
Crowe
Jones
Fleming
Mccullum
Hadlee
Vettori
Bond
Boult

Burgman, really surprised you have 'the white Akram' ahead of Cairns in that side, & that it's not Boult carrying the drinks.

Still gives you a bowling attack of Hadlee, Bond, Cairns & Vettori & adds so much to the batting. Unless you don't rate Cairns so much with the ball, but he was 200+ test wickets @ under 30.

Zinzan

@Burgey - No Kallis in that SA XI? Or have I missed something. Big fan of Cullinan though, always felt he got a hard time (Warne issues aside), and by about the turn of the century, when JK was just a batting alrounder and not yet the run machine he became, he was probably SA's best bat.
I'm sure that was simply an oversight of Burgey's part, especially considering what Warne used to do to Cullinan's head.

Zinzan

bond in a four man attack :unsure:
Yup 100%, Bond never broke down during matches IIRC, only after them. Plus KW's part-time bowling is criminally underused, even since he modified his chucking. On top of that Hadlee & Vettori could virtually bowl forever.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
To be fair, Tayfield had an extended career, or is 11 years in the team, in which time he was the country's most prolific wicket taker, and now, half a century later, he remains its greatest spinner?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
My batting goes all the way to 8, Stewart is fine. Although Prior getting a shout ahead won't hear many complaints from me.

We're supposed to pick all time great teams, how am I supposed to pick that and then not include Ntini who had an out and out greater career than Tayfield and Faulkner?

From your posting pattern I can tell you go for lots of historical players who you've never seen or very little. That's fine but to then try and down play genuinely great cricketers with extended, great careers is just plain ridiculous.
The only thing that Ntini did better than Tayfield or Faulkner was play more tests, hardly surprising considering the different eras. Both were superior bowlers, and batsmen too, for that matter. Both spinners too, actually adding something useful to the attack of SA instead of dropping yet another pacer in there.