• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Boon, Wessels, Hussain, Border, Thorpe, Ritchie, Stewart+, Caddick, Lawson, McDermott, Tufnell isn't too bad.

Both of those teams won, of course, so maybe we should be looking at the sides they beat... (Twose, Horne, Fleming, Astle, McMillan, Cairns, Parore, Nash, Vettori, Doull, Allott; Greenidge, Haynes, Richardson, Gomes, Richards, Lloyd, Dujon, Marshall, Holding, Garner, Walsh).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should be noted NZ went on to win that series vs. Eng in 1999 2-1, and rain likely saved the margin being 3-1.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course, that was the infamous series where England slipped to 9th place (out of 9) in the Test rankings. Prompted the crowd to sing "We've got the worst team in the world" to the tune of "He's got the whole world in his hands"

AndrewB

Should be noted NZ went on to win that series vs. Eng in 1999 2-1, and rain likely saved the margin being 3-1.
Hey, if he'd said England 2st Test vs New Zealand 1999 and replaced Tudor with Headley, then I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on...

Shady Slim

International Coach
English crowds rule. Aussie crowds are so unintelligent and uncreative
went to the first day of the sydney test against the windies earlier this year and khawaja was fielding in front of us at deep square, the guys that were a row in front of us were heckling him about his hamstring all game

he takes a good low catch running in off darren bravo i think and he gives them a cheeky wave on his way back, they didn't say another thing to him all game

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
other things we love chanting

bloke's last names really loudly to psych them out

"booooooring" after a well bowled maiden

and ofc aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi

AndrewB

Long-lived XI (all reached 90):
Bill Brown
Arthur Morris
Bill Ponsford
Don Bradman
Everton Weekes
Frank Woolley
Wilfred Rhodes
Tiger Smith
Harold Larwood
Alec Bedser
Sydney Barnes

Curious how (besides Weekes) the batting is mainly Australian, the bowling is all English.

Short-lived XI (died under 40):
Archie Jackson
Victor Trumper
Phil Hughes
Hansie Cronje
Tip Foster
Collie Smith
Jock Cameron
Hedley Verity
George Lohmann
Tibby Cotter
Jack Ferris

Other options include Jack Brown, Johnny Briggs, Charlie Blythe, Ken Farnes... (I'm more likely to have missed someone obvious here since Cricinfo only lists those who died under 35).

Flem274*

123/5
didn't that 1999 maligned english team come into the series off a really good result in south africa or something? i remember reading something in flemings book about the english media thinking they had a superpowered team at the time

AndrewB

didn't that 1999 maligned english team come into the series off a really good result in south africa or something? i remember reading something in flemings book about the english media thinking they had a superpowered team at the time
England had rather luckily beaten South Africa 2-1, but lost the one-off Test against Sri Lanka, in 1998, and had lost 3-1 in Australia in 1998-9.
It's probably not hard to find quotes in the English media vastly over-rating or over-criticising the nation's football/cricket/rugby teams at any time (depending on what point you want to make).

Howe_zat

Audio File
ATG anagram XI - 100 internet points available

1. Swerving Header
2. Toy Cyborg Toffee
3. Random Band
4. Unlatch A Redskin
5. Hugest Wave
6. Disable Liver
7. Obtain Ham
8. Heralded Chair
9. Nebula Milk
10. Old Anal Land
11. Bleary Scrotum

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ATG anagram XI - 100 internet points available

1. Swerving Header
2. Toy Cyborg Toffee
3. Random Band
4. Unlatch A Redskin
5. Hugest Wave
6. Disable Liver
7. Obtain Ham
8. Heralded Chair
9. Nebula Milk
10. Old Anal Land
11. Bleary Scrotum

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Geoffery Boycott
3. Don Bradman
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Steve Waugh
6. AB De Villiers
7. Ian Botham
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Anil Kumble
10. Allan Donald
11. Curtly Ambrose

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. Virender Sehwag
2. Geoffery Boycott
3. Don Bradman
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Steve Waugh
6. AB De Villiers
7. Ian Botham
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Anil Kumble
10. Allan Donald
11. Curtly Ambrose
That was sharp.

You may collect your internet points from your local post office in 6-8 weeks.

AndrewB

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Geoffery Boycott
3. Don Bradman
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Steve Waugh
6. AB De Villiers
7. Ian Botham
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Anil Kumble
10. Allan Donald
11. Curtly Ambrose
I'd got them (a bit more slowly) except for 6, where I had either "Beril de Silva" or a very poor spelling of "Basil d'Oliveira"...