• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Yes, but Parker was an outstanding bowler throughout the 1920s and would have played many more tests if he had been a less outspoken individual who kept on the right side of those in authority such as Lord Harris.
True. OTOH, if you want a great side purely from a batting perspective you'd pick Geary/White/Robins ahead of Parker (or Freeman).

Seeing "P Hendren" and "T Freeman" in the side makes me want to pick a "players almost always known by a nickname not derived from their actual name" XI (picked without too much consideration, I've probably forgotten some obvious candidates):

Jack Russell
Monkey Hornby
Patsy Hendren
Bunny Lucas
Tip Foster
Collie Smith
Jock Cameron
Freddie Flintoff
Sailor Young
Tich Freeman
Bapu Nadkarni

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
True. OTOH, if you want a great side purely from a batting perspective you'd pick Geary/White/Robins ahead of Parker (or Freeman).

Seeing "P Hendren" and "T Freeman" in the side makes me want to pick a "players almost always known by a nickname not derived from their actual name" XI (picked without too much consideration, I've probably forgotten some obvious candidates):

Jack Russell
Monkey Hornby
Patsy Hendren
Bunny Lucas
Tip Foster
Collie Smith
Jock Cameron
Freddie Flintoff
Sailor Young
Tich Freeman
Bapu Nadkarni
'Ranji' Hordern would be in with a shout too :)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
New Zealand

Stewie Dempster
Glenn Turner
Kane Williamson
Martin Crowe *
Martin Donnelly
Ross Taylor
Brendon McCullum +
Chris Cairns
Dan Vettori
Richard Hadlee
Shand Bond

Ewan Chatfield --- Jack Cowie--- Stephen Fleming --- Andrew Jones --- Ian Smith
Wow how deep is that batting with the best no. 8 of all-time Vettori batting at 9 and Hadlee at 10. :blink: , but think you're a bowler short. I'd being deciding between Taylor, Donnelly or Sutcliffe @ no.5, Bmac @ 6 and would definitely include the great Jack Cowie, making a bowling attack of Hadlee, Bond, Cowie, Cairns & Vettori.

Incidentally, Charlie Chatfield wouldn't be close my All-time Test XI. Richard Collinge, Bruce Taylor, Boult & Dion Nash were all better tests bowlers to name a few.

Also, fair enough choosing Ian Smith as your 2nd keeper and as many would, but I actually think Parore edges him. Parore was 2nd only to Healy as a gloveman in the late 90s.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Select your ATG team that cannot include:

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Sobers
Gilchrist
Knott
Marshall
McGrath
Warne
Murali

watson

Banned
With Grimmett and Barnes bowling there needs to be Oldfield, Evans, or Cameron behind the stumps. Since Barnes and Bedser are similar in some ways I chose Evans, although I originally had Oldfield penciled in.

Tough choice between Grimmett, Mailey, Benaud, Gupte who I rate about equal. If the tail was weak then probably Benaud, but with Evans batting at No.9 there is enough strength.

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Victor Trumper
03. George Headley
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Viv Richards
06. Jacques Kallis
07. Imran Khan
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Godfey Evans
10. Clarrie Grimmett
11. Sydney Barnes

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Similar to PEWS here, same last 6.

Gavaskar
H. Sutcliffe
G Pollock
Tendulkar
Richards
Sangakkara +
Miller
Imran
Hadlee
Barnes
Ambrose

ImpatientLime

International Regular
all these sanga picks are odd considering he only averaged 40 when keeping. not a small sample either, it was over 48 games.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
all these sanga picks are odd considering he only averaged 40 when keeping. not a small sample either, it was over 48 games.
He balances these teams nicely and you'd take the 40 average. Esp with all rounders all the way down.

watson

Banned
It boils down to whether you think that 5 frontline bowlers are necessary or not. If you do then a keeper batting in the top 6 makes sense.

If you think that 4 frontline bowlers plus a batting allrounder is good enough to bowl the opposition out then you may as well have a genius behind the stumps and lift the performance of the bowlers and the team.

Plus there's the fact that Oldfield, Cameron, Tallon, Evans, and Knott were all great to watch from a spectator point of view.

Last edited: