• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Best Teen XI

Hanif Mohammed
Archie Jackson
Neil Harvey
Sachin Tendulkar
Graeme Pollock
Sobers
Wasim Bari
Wasim
Waqar
Graham Mckenzie
Chandra
Compton and Mushtaq Mohammad are among the other contenders for a place in the middle order.

Best over-40/over-35 pace bowlers XI to take them on:

Jack Hobbs
Eric Rowan
Tom Graveney
Misbah-ul-Haq
Clive Lloyd*
Warwick Armstrong
Richard Hadlee
Bob Taylor+
Clarrie Grimmett
Sydney Barnes
Glenn McGrath

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Compton and Mushtaq Mohammad are among the other contenders for a place in the middle order.

Best over-40/over-35 pace bowlers XI to take them on:

Jack Hobbs
Eric Rowan
Tom Graveney
Misbah-ul-Haq
Clive Lloyd*
Warwick Armstrong
Richard Hadlee
Bob Taylor+
Clarrie Grimmett
Sydney Barnes
Glenn McGrath
I did forget the Brylcreem man..BTW I came up with my own >=40 yr old team as below(all players above 40) and by having the most players from England i think i have made up missing Compton in the teen XI . No wonder Team England was once called the Dad's army ;) .

Sutcliffe
Gooch
Wally Hammond
Sachin Tendulkar
George Headley
Faulkner (all rounder)
Alec Stewart (WC)
OReilly
Barnes
Grimmet
Gubby Allen

2 things stood out for me a) Tendulkar, representing both as a teenager and in this XI ..what a genius b) My team looks like will beat yours :) , Just kidding

watson

Banned
Wally Hammond played 8 post War Tests after he had turned 40. He scored 366 runs at 30.50 with a top score of 79 against NZ. So not the best 40 year old player.

Frustratingly, if he hadn't made a belated come-back then he would have averaged 61.45 for his 77 Tests and been a clear cut second after Bradman. Hammond's purple patch lasted 5 years (1928-1933) when he averaged 70.27 for his 33 Tests.

Also Gubby Allen was also one of England's best bowling allrounders and normally batted at No.7 or 8.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
After crunching some stats for Hammond I was wondering how many batsman have reached an average of 60 during their career. According to an article I found there have been 16 batsman who have managed to hit that peak. Only batsman who had scored more than 3000 runs were considered.

However, there have been only 5 batsman who have been able to maintain an overall average of greater than 60 for any length of time (> 10 Tests) after hitting the mandatory 3000 runs.

Bradman
Sobers
Hammond
Sutcliffe
Weekes

Anantha Narayanan: Test batsmen who attained the average of 60 or more | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

watson

Banned
At 2000+ runs you can add Hussey, Headley. Miandad, Walters, Pollock and Worrell.
Yeah, Anantha can be a bit strange with his assumptions. Although 3000 runs does add an element of longevity if you think that sort of thing is important.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
To a certain extent I agree, the outlier being Headley who did have a long brilliant career but only over the 2000 run mark. For most people 3000 is a good effort for over 60 average

watson

Banned
More like shocking hyperbole backed up by flimsy stats, but still food for thought.

Shocking revelations: The best batsmen against world champion WI and Australian teams are not Sunil Gavaskar and Sachin Tendulkar respectively

The West Indians of 1976-1995 and the Australians of 1995-2007 dominated the cricket world as no other team has ever done. Arunabha Sengupta*crunches data to find out who the best batsmen were against their formidable attacks and in their lairs. Surprisingly, the list against West Indies is not headed by Sunil Gavaskar. Nor is the one against Australia led by Sachin Tendulkar.......

Shocking revelations: The best batsmen against world champion WI and Australian teams are not Sunil Gavaskar and Sachin Tendulkar respectively - Latest Cricket News, Articles & Videos at CricketCountry.com

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gilchrist averaged 61 after 47 Tests and is one of the 16 batsman. However, he didn't last there long, only 2 Tests.
Holy ***, I remember his exceeding 50 but not over 60 in that many tests.

Also highlights that he did fizzle out somewhat, averaging 37 in his last 49 tests

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Holy ***, I remember his exceeding 50 but not over 60 in that many tests.

Also highlights that he did fizzle out somewhat, averaging 37 in his last 49 tests
37 is still very good by normal keepers' standards tbh. He just set the bar ridiculously high.

watson

Banned
37 is still very good by normal keepers' standards tbh. He just set the bar ridiculously high.
I have good recollections of the English and South African fast bowlers taking Gilchrist's wicket later in his career by deliberately going around the wicket and targeting the top of his off-stump. The success with this tactic might explain the drop in average.

Would be interesting to find out if my hunch is true.

Last edited: