• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Gob

International Coach
Still have Gilly over Dhoni. Cos he's a gun, and it balances better.

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Ponting
V.Richards
AB DeVilliers
Symonds
Kapil
Pollock
Wasim
Garner
Murali

As much as I think McGrath is great, not much separates him and Pollock and Pollock's lower order hitting was pretty handy.
Birt Lee>McGrath imo

watson

Banned
Picking an ATG XI varies depending on the scenario chosen. So if we assume;

1. ATG XI vs 'parallel Universe' ATG XI
2. 7 Test series that must be won at all costs
3. Unknown random playing conditions ranging from uncovered pre-WW1 pitches to Headingly green tops and Delhi dust bowls. That is, all contingencies.

Then I would pick;

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Barry Richards
03. Don Bradman
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Garry Sobers
06. Keith Miller
07. Adam Gilchrist +
08. Richie Benaud*
09. Richard Hadlee
10. Wilfred Rhodes
11. Malcolm Marshall

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
In such a scenario.

Barry Richards
Sir Leonard Hutton
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir I.V.A. Richards
Brian Lara / Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath / Richard Hadlee

watson

Banned
In sticky wicket conditions where the footholds are atrocious you need two slowish bowlers capable of operating in the conditions. Rhodes was superb on such pitches. He was also unrelenting and accurate on flat pitches.

Also, a bit of 'local knowledge' doesn't hurt the team.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Don't we get to pick a full squad in such a scenario? To account for all conditions, injuries, etc.

My ATG Squad of 17:

Openers:
Hobbs
???
Sehwag (for the flat and spinning pitches)

Keepers:
Gilchrist
Knott

Allrounders
Sobers
Imran Khan
Miller

Spinners
Warne
Murali

Pacers
Sydney Barnes
Marshall
Thompson (for pure pace)

Batsmen
Bradman
Tendulkar
Viv
Hutton

Hutton the reserve number 3...not sure who the third opener should be. Don't want Viru opening in all conditions...so maybe Gavaskar? Or Sutcliffe?

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Openers:
Richards
Hobbs
Hutton

Keepers:
Gilchrist
Knott

All rounders:
Miller
Procter
Botham

Pacers:
Marshall
hadlee
Wasim/imran

Spinners:
Warne
Murali

Batsmen:
Bradman
Viv
Sobers
Pollock

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My squad of 17:

Hutton
B.Richards
Gavaskar
Bradman
Tendulkar
V.Richards
Sobers

Gilchrist
Knott

Miller
Hadlee
Imran
McGrath
Marshall
Wasim

Warne
Laker

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Squad of 17

Hutton
Richards
Hobbs

Bradman
Richards
Tendulkar
Lara

Sobers
Kallis

Gilchrist
Knott

Marshall
McGrath
Akram
Hadlee

Warne
Muralitaran

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is an England XI chosen by a five man review panel including Sam Burgess.

Paul Terry
Tim Robinson
Matthew Maynard
Paul Parker
Alan Wells
David Capel
Bruce French
Ian Salisbury
Derek Pringle
Darren Pattinson
Mike Smith

smash84

The Tiger King
You can substitute Ian Salisbury with Adil Rashid and the bowling average of the team will remain the same

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
In sticky wicket conditions where the footholds are atrocious you need two slowish bowlers capable of operating in the conditions. Rhodes was superb on such pitches. He was also unrelenting and accurate on flat pitches.

Also, a bit of 'local knowledge' doesn't hurt the team.
Why would you want uncovered/sticky wickets though? Those thing's & others like 8 ball over and the old LBW law were abandoned from the game for a reason.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Openers:

Gavaskar
Hutton
B Richards/Hobbs

Middle-order:

Bradman
V Richards
Tendulkar
Lara/G Chappell/Pollock (hard split)

All-rounders:

Sobers
Botham

Keepers:

Knott
Sangakkara/Evans

Spinners:

Warne
Muralitharan

Fast-Bowlers:

Lillee
Marshall
Wasim Akram
Imran Khan/Hadlee/Donald/Ambrose/Trueman/Lindwall (very difficult to pick one - i thnk Lindwall's greatness as a bowler is sometimes under-appreciated)

watson

Banned
Why would you want uncovered/sticky wickets though? Those thing's & others like 8 ball over and the old LBW were abandoned for a reason
That's part of the hypothetical that I set up.

It appears that most of the time our ATG teams are selected according to modern conditions with quality batting tracks. Hence the likes of Viv Richards are always picked. Yet for the first 60 years of cricket all Test matches were played on uncovered wickets. This is a significant amount of time and an important part of our folklore.

Therefore it seems reasonable to assume that ATG XIs should have a range of batsman, bowlers, and keepers who have the genius to succeed in a variety of conditions.

Now that I think about it, I reckon that Wilfred Rhodes would take Viv Richards apart within the half-hour on a sticky wicket. Hobbs, Hutton, and Headley would go OK, but not Viv. Or am I being unreasonable?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That's part of the hypothetical that I set up.

It appears that most of the time our ATG teams are selected according to modern conditions with quality batting tracks. Hence the likes of Viv Richards are always picked. Yet for the first 60 years of cricket all Test matches were played on uncovered wickets. This is a significant amount of time and an important part of our folklore.

Therefore it seems reasonable to assume that ATG XIs should have a range of batsman, bowlers, and keepers who have the genius to succeed in a variety of conditions.

Now that I think about it, I reckon that Wilfred Rhodes would take Viv Richards apart within the half-hour on a sticky wicket. Hobbs, Hutton, and Headley would go OK, but not Viv. Or am I being unreasonable?
IMO i think would be unreasonable TBF and I recall having nice discussions about this lovely topic on CW years ago.

For me if you playing a ATXI match-up it would be in modern times yes, but the conditions would be the best of all the rules, conditions that were present in sports glorious history. The equivalent of a sticky would get abandoned today without hesitation & I'm surprised cricket authorities didn't stop using it long before late 60s/early 70s because it made a lot of spinners look better than they were & medium pacers of the Alec Bedser ilk, which are all but extinct for much of post war period.

It was as unfair an advantage to such bowlers as flat pitches in the 2000s was for batsmen.

So you would the best best i.e Perth, Barbados, Jamaica, Brisbane, Headingley at its bouncy/seamer friendly best - all IND pitches at their turning best (not substandard levels), flat pitches/batsmen friendly pitches only for venues who generally were always like that in history i.e Antigua, Guyana, Adelaide, Karachi

As i mentioned above the LBW that came into play after changes in 1935 with rules that had slight alternations since i.e especially after what Cowdrey/May did in 1957 vs Windies where they kicked away balls from Valentine/Ramdhin for fun when they would given out now even before DRS.

However I would say batters from who mastered batting on a sticky would be quite useful batting on S-Continent turners.

No 8-ball overs, no matting wickets, no timeless tests

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Openers:

Gavaskar
Hutton
B Richards/Hobbs

Middle-order:

Bradman
V Richards
Tendulkar
Lara/G Chappell/Pollock (hard split)

All-rounders:

Sobers
Botham

Keepers:

Knott
Sangakkara/Evans

Spinners:

Warne
Muralitharan

Fast-Bowlers:

Lillee
Marshall
Wasim Akram
Imran Khan/Hadlee/Donald/Ambrose/Trueman/Lindwall (very difficult to pick one - i thnk Lindwall's greatness as a bowler is sometimes under-appreciated)
No hedging your bets!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
NEW ZEALAND:

Wright, Turner, Sutcliffe, Williamson, Crowe (c), McCullum, Cairns, Hadlee, Vettori, Bond, Boult, 12th man: JR Reid
Will make one adjustment to my view on the NZ ATXI & bring in Watling for Vettori.

Re-assessing McCullum improvement as a player in recent years, its probably not realistic to expect him to replicate this career batting peak form (for however long it might last) & keep. Keeping clearly has a bigger affect on his back now that I initially accepted.

So picking Watling, he already has the best batting average for any NZ keeper in test history & his glovework is of a very good standard. Backing him maintain current levels going forward.

Thus NZ ATXI would play an all-pace attack & would readjust to fit in Vettori on a turning pitch.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you think both Ross Taylor and Kane Williamson will warrant a place in an all time New Zealand XI by the end of their careers, or will there just be room for one?