• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Gob

International Coach
More of a classic one

Warner
Boon
I Chappell c
M Waugh
Walters
Martyn
Haddin
Lee
Merv
Thompson
McGill

smash84

The Tiger King
So Shane Warne posts his Pak XI for the last 25 years.

Here's my best Pakistan team over the last 25 years.

Just to remind you, I have to have played a meaningful game against a player before being selected.
Hence no Botham, Richard Hadlee, Viv Richards or Imran Khan in any teams. I'm sure they will all make my greatest ever test team though, that will be the last team I select...

So...

S Anwar
A Sohail
Younis Khan
Inzamam
Yousef Yohanna
Shahid Afridi
Moin Khan
Wasim Akram ( C )
Saqlain
Shoiab Akhtar
Waqar Younis

Lots of good players unfortunately miss out, the toughest player to leave out was my friend and amazing leg spinner Mushtaq Ahmed, but went with Afridi as the leg spinning all rounder otherwise Saqlain would have had to miss out or would have had to leave out Waqar or Shoiab for Mushie....
Razzaq & Azahar Mahmood pushed hard too..
Pretty imposing & talented team !!!!
Agree ? Who have I left out that should be in followers ?

Hope your enjoying my celebration of the best teams & players I have played against over the last 25 years !!!!!

Feedback welcomed, please ask your friends to like my page & I will continue with the my teams.

What team next ?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Aussie All Timer

1. Morris
2. Trumper
3. Don
4. Chappelli
5. Border
6. Millerrr
7. Gilly
8. Warne
9. Aluminilille
10. O'Reilly
11. Macgrawww
Chappelli? Or ChappellG?

For me:

Trumper
Morris
Bradman
G.Chappell
Miller
Harvey
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
O'Reilly
McGrath

Squad- Davidson | Ponting | Lawry | Healy | Lindwall | Johnston

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wait, that's Warne's test or one day side?
I think it's for tests because this is what he wrote before starting the series:

After a lot of you have asked for the best teams I've played against, I've decided to go through each country. Will also, give you my best combined ashes team over the last 25 years & my all time team that I would have loved to have played against plus my greatest ever 11 to have played the game ! Remember I have to have played a proper match against them

Red

But remember he isn't getting the new ball and with him batting at 5, that is a huge liability in the batting line up.
Miller for some reason under performed with the bat in tests. I think that he became an opening bowler only as he became a tests player. Perhaps that's why- the toll of bowling (and maybe also his DGAFACTM post war attitude). There's a huge discrepency between his FC average with the bat and his tests average with the bat. Make no mistake, he was a top 6 batsman.

If you want a guy who is a genuine opening quick or third quick who can bat top six so you can play two spinners and three quicks, Miller is ideal.

In an Australian ATG team, when you have Bradman at 3 and Gilchrist at 7, playing Miller isn't really a liability. The flow on effect is that you can play Warne and O'Reilly together and still have three quick. Plus, Miller was a gun slipper and fielder as well.

Red

I'd bat him either 6 or 7. 5 is too high for him in an ATG side
#5 was his preferred spot (and his average was over 40 there). I'd always have him at #5 but I have certain ways I like to see batting line ups look.

03. Bradman
04. Chappell
05. Miller
06. Harvey (or Border/Waugh/Ponting etc)
07. Gilchrist

Red

The sides that Miller played in were chock full of guys who could bat as well. They batted right down the order. Lindwall, Johnson, Benaud, Tallon and McCool could all bat and bowl/keep.

smash84

The Tiger King
#5 was his preferred spot (and his average was over 40 there). I'd always have him at #5 but I have certain ways I like to see batting line ups look.

03. Bradman
04. Chappell
05. Miller
06. Harvey (or Border/Waugh/Ponting etc)
07. Gilchrist
I'd go

Bradman
Chappell
Border
Miller
Gilchrist

Not sure where to slot Ponting. Border was a beast at 5.

bagapath

International Captain
Aussie second XI

Langer
Lawry
Ponting
Harvey
S. Waugh (c)
Gregory
Healy (wk)
Benaud
Davidson
Lindwall
Grimmett

watson

Banned
Aussie second XI

Langer
Lawry
Ponting
Harvey
S. Waugh (c)
Gregory
Healy (wk)
Benaud
Davidson
Lindwall
Grimmett
If that's Jack Gregory then he really doesn't belong at No.6 although he did sometimes bat higher up the order depending on the match situation. He spend most of his time at 7-8-9, and even hit a century at No.9 while batting with Nip Pellew against England. Never wore batting gloves apparently.

Red

17 man touring squads for a 5 test series

Australia

Trumper
Morris
Bradman
G.Chappell
Miller
Harvey
Gilchrist
Warne