• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

JBMAC

State Captain
Barry Richards
Bruce Mitchell
Jaques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
AB DeVilliers
Aubrey Faulkner
Mike Procter
Hugh Tayfield
Dale Steyn
Alan Donald

This team would beat an Aust and WI combo regularly.
Only in your wildest dreams :)

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
SA XI
1. Barry Richards
2. Graeme Smith*
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Dudley Nourse
6. Aubrey Faulkner
7. John Waite+
8. Mike Procter
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Hugh Tayfield
11. Allan Donald

I don't like picking people who haven't finished their test careers', so guys like Steyn DeVilliers and maybe even Philander could make this side in the future.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA XI
1. Barry Richards
2. Graeme Smith*
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Dudley Nourse
6. Aubrey Faulkner
7. John Waite+
8. Mike Procter
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Hugh Tayfield
11. Allan Donald

I don't like picking people who haven't finished their test careers', so guys like Steyn DeVilliers and maybe even Philander could make this side in the future.

Good side, but Philander's no chance IMO. No way he'll sneak ahead of Donald, Steyn, Procter, Pollock or even the likes of Peter Pollock and Neil Adcock.

The Battlers Prince

Good side, but Philander's no chance IMO. No way he'll sneak ahead of Donald, Steyn, Procter, Pollock or even the likes of Peter Pollock and Neil Adcock.
I just get the feeling he's working hard on his batting, really wants to be seen as an allrounder. It would still be tough for him to get above the guys you've mentioned, but he still has time. I'm a bit of a Philander fan, so if he develops his bowling more, have a few variations, never know ��

The Battlers Prince

Even so, that's some pretty damn sensational bowlers/cricketers he'd need to overtake.
True, but Marshall took a few years and seasons to go to SuperMarshall.
TBF if it did happen that Philander got above those guys, it would mean he'd performed so far out of his skin for the rest of his career, it would be incredible to see.
So while I understand, it probably won't happen, I would love to see it if it does!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I think that even if you just base it on actual Test cricket performances and therfore eliminate Procter, Philander's basically got to get over Pollock and it's just not going to happen. Probably started his Test career too late to do that unless he really did keep up his early career average of <20 which was always going to be pretty unlikely.

OverratedSanity

Yeah I think that even if you just base it on actual Test cricket performances and therfore eliminate Procter, Philander's basically got to get over Pollock and it's just not going to happen. Probably started his Test career too late to do that unless he really did keep up his early career average of <20 which was always going to be pretty unlikely.
I still think the <20 is possible. Not likely, but it's possible. Especially if he gets "injured" after being smashed in India and misses a few games, and then goes on to pick up a couple of cheap 5 fers vs Wi at home. WAC

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I still think the <20 is possible. Not likely, but it's possible. Especially if he gets "injured" after being smashed in India and misses a few games, and then goes on to pick up a couple of cheap 5 fers vs Wi at home. WAC
I though it was possible too, but it was always obviously unlikely, and for it to happen I do think it would have had to never go too far above that mark. It's up above 22 now so the game is over.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
My sig says it all. IMO the South African side is behind only the W.I and Australia and just ahead of an England AT XI.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie All Timer

1. Morris
2. Trumper
3. Don
4. Chappelli
5. Border
6. Millerrr
7. Gilly
8. Warne
9. Aluminilille
10. O'Reilly
11. Macgrawww

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeez mate, how stiff is Keith Miller not to make your ATG Aussie side.
Because he isn't an ATG batsman nor is he a full front line ATG bowler. He was a great bowler, but he was more used in short bursts while Lindwall and Johnston bore the brunt of the work load.

He was a good enough batsman, good shock bowler and great slip fielder but not good enough to make it as a batsman or a bowler in such an XI imo.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah dump any of Border/Ponting/Davidson for Miller. I love those 3 too but Miller 's gotta be in.
Border and Ponting are much better batsmen, with Ponting being equally brilliant in the slips and in the field. Davidson was also a better bowler and brings better variety.

Besides between Simpson, Chappell and Border they can handle the 5th bowler duties.

OverratedSanity

Border and Ponting are much better batsmen, with Ponting being equally brilliant in the slips and in the field. Davidson was also a better bowler and brings better variety.

Besides between Simpson, Chappell and Border they can handle the 5th bowler duties.
So you're compromising the bowling instead of the batting. Fair enough then. Imo, Chappell, Simpson and Border as the 5th bowler instead of Miller is a massive downgrade.

OverratedSanity

And really, the old "wasn't ATG in either discipline" argument doesn't work at all when you're talking about balanced allrounders like Miller.

Gob

International Coach
Estraya

Hayden
Taylor c
Bradleyman
Chappell
Ponting
Miller
Gilchrist
Davidson
Warne