• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
So the Glenn Maxwell XI defeated the Michael Bevan XI by 15,774 to 13,769 ($1.89 to $2.16). A 27c difference is not that great but it's probably enough to bring that Aussie ATG side up to roughly the level of the BCs and the SA sides.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to know that the All Time XI from the country that has won five World Cups can be massaged to be just about good enough to break even with two teams who have won zero put together.

So the Glenn Maxwell XI defeated the Michael Bevan XI by 15,774 to 13,769 ($1.89 to $2.16). A 27c difference is not that great but it's probably enough to bring that Aussie ATG side up to roughly the level of the BCs and the SA sides.
Yeah, I thought Maxy would out do Bevan. Good luck explaining that to a lot of CW forum users.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good to know that the All Time XI from the country that has won five World Cups can be massaged to be just about good enough to break even with two teams who have won zero put together.

Surely it is not that impossible that certain nations find a group of great players playing together often enough to win WCs while another nation produces an ATG or 2 every 10 years but never a team good enough to lift a WC. It is still possible for an ATG XI of the second nation to beat one of the first, right?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Yeah, I thought Maxy would out do Bevan. Good luck explaining that to a lot of CW forum users.
Yeah a lot of people are going to disagree if they don't account for strike rate. If SR is considered as important as average, then the guy with the highest SR is automatically in contention for ATG status (unless he averages 7 or something stupid).

I reckon moving Symonds up to 6 and having Maxwell at 7 might be close to optimum.

Yeah a lot of people are going to disagree if they don't account for strike rate. If SR is considered as important as average, then the guy with the highest SR is automatically in contention for ATG status (unless he averages 7 or something stupid).

I reckon moving Symonds up to 6 and having Maxwell at 7 might be close to optimum.
Symonds, Maxwell, Watson, Faulkner. Such an amazing engine room possible 5 to 8 with Gilly opening. Hussey at 4 and Punter at 3. That is some damage.

I'd be tempted to bat them in order of SR.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
How's this for an ATG World XI

1. McCullum
2. Afridi
3. Anderson
4. Maxwell
5. Ronchi (wk)
6. Miller
7. Flintoff (3)
8. Klusener (4)
9. Dev (5)
10. Pollock (2)
11. Southee (1)

How's this for an ATG World XI

1. McCullum
2. Afridi
3. Anderson
4. Maxwell
5. Ronchi (wk)
6. Miller
7. Flintoff (3)
8. Klusener (4)
9. Dev (5)
10. Pollock (2)
11. Southee (1)
McCullum does not make the team. AB and Viv would still improve the team I would imagine. Southee? You can do much better than Southee.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Symonds, Maxwell, Watson, Faulkner. Such an amazing engine room possible 5 to 8 with Gilly opening. Might as well put in another batsman.

I'd be tempted to bat them in order of SR.
Yeah something the simulator showed me is that there is generally a large drop off in balls faced and runs scored for batsmen at No. 9, 10 and 11. No. 8 faces a fair amount of deliveries though, and 7 not too much less than the others. So you might as well have two bowling allrounders at 7 and 8 (or 6 and 8) who can both hit at a high SR, and then three excellent bowlers who hit like Southee.

Yeah something the simulator showed me is that there is generally a large drop off in balls faced and runs scored for batsmen at No. 9, 10 and 11. No. 8 faces a fair amount of deliveries though, and 7 not too much less than the others. So you might as well have two bowling allrounders at 7 and 8 (or 6 and 8) who can both hit at a high SR, and then three excellent bowlers who hit like Southee.
If I recall correctly Crowe and Astle did alright at 7/8 and 8/9 with Hadlee at 9/10 and Bond at 10/11 where the middle order was Anderson, Ronchi and McCullum, top order was Guptill, KW and Ross.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Here's a most is best Wayne Rooney England XI

2 openers who scored the most runs as openers.
3 batsman who scored most runs in the middle order.
All rounder with most runs and wickets.
Wicket keeper with most dismissals.
2 spinners with most wickets.
2 pacemen with most wickets.

Moving around the order eliminates Gooch, Stewart and Cowdrey who would make the team stronger, but never mind.

Cook
Boycott
Gower
Pietersen
Bell
Botham
Knott
Swann
Anderson
Underwood
Willis

12th Man - Broad (in for Swann if using only one spinner).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sure, well consider this. Your eyes might deceive you. Elements of the strategic play of the average match might make a player play a certain way when he'd be entirely different somewhere else. A No. 3 batsman plays very different on average when he has quality openers ahead of him, to how he will play on average when the openers get out cheaply. Glenn McGrath might have been a completely different bowler had he been Indian and not surrounded by other quality quicks. Perhaps the opposition would have just played him out and his average would have been 26 or so.

There are things you can see in the stats that you can't see in real life. Like the average level of a player's effectiveness across his whole career.
Except it ignores simple things like changes in the way the game is played.

Must be that considering how ****ing farcical your all time rankings have come out of it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Show's how ****ing ridiculous your sim is if it rates Glenn Maxwell ahead of Michael Bevan.

Come back Viriya, your rankings have been usurped.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Show's how ****ing ridiculous your sim is if it rates Glenn Maxwell ahead of Michael Bevan.

Come back Viriya, your rankings have been usurped.
You can't see how a batman with an SR of 126 might be more useful than a player with an SR of 74 batting No. 6 when wickets are almost meaningless and quick runs are everything?

You can't see how a batman with an SR of 126 might be more useful than a player with an SR of 74 batting No. 6 when wickets are almost meaningless and quick runs are everything?
Or the fact that Bevan only scored 29 actual runs per match compared to Maxwell's 27.

Not everyone understands SR Kiwivik. Some people like living in the world of slow SR and high averages with lots of not outs.