• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Murali can't come in as the World XI player. He actually sucked as part of the World XI team. Visits to disagree.

watson

Banned
Post War Test Only ODI Team
01. Barry Richards
02. Denis Lindsay
03. Ted Dexter
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Everton Weekes
06. Neil Harvey
07. Keith Miller
08. Mike Procter
09. Alan Davidson
10. Ray Lindwall
11. Bill O'Reilly

Pre War Test Only ODI Team
01. Jack Hobbs
02. Victor Trumper
03. Clem Hill
04. George Gunn
05. Frank Woolley
06. Monty Noble
07. Gilbert Jessop
08. Frank Foster
09. Arthur Lilley
10. Tom Richardson
11. Sydney Barnes

George Gunn - Shades of Dean Jones?

George Gunn, who died in his sleep at Tylers Green, Sussex, on June 28, aged 79, was probably the greatest batsman who played for Nottinghamshire. Had he possessed a different temperament he would doubtless have improved upon his splendid records, for his skill and judgement were such that he made batting successfully against first-class bowlers appear the easiest thing imaginable. Not only did he show complete mastery in the art of back-play, but he frequently got right in front of his wicket and walked down the pitch to meet the ball no matter what type of bowler he was facing. Rarely when he left his ground in this way did his skill betray him and yet, though obviously so completely at home that he could have done almost anything with the ball, he would make a stroke which sent it tamely to the bowler, to mid-off or to mid-on. In match after match this practice of merely killing the ball was indulged in to such an extent as to become almost an obsession. It appeared to furnish Gunn with complete satisfaction, but it occasioned considerable annoyance to spectators who knew that, if he wished, he could score both without undue effort and as rapidly as anybody.

George Gunn | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It could be that anyone who played both sides of the War doesn't qualify - but to check that would mean doing pointless research that I can't be arsed to undertake.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
After extensive simulation, I've determined that this NZ ATG team would be best suited to take on other nation's ATG sides.

1. Martin Guptill
2. Nathan Astle
3. Kane Williamson
4. Martin Crowe
5. Ross Taylor
6. Corey Anderson (5)
7. Brendon McCullum (c) (wk)
8. Lance Cairns (4)
9. Sir Richard Hadlee (3)
10. Shane Bond (2)
11. Trent Boult (1)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
After extensive simulation, I've determined that this NZ ATG team would be best suited to take on other nation's ATG sides.

1. Martin Guptill
2. Nathan Astle
3. Kane Williamson
4. Martin Crowe
5. Ross Taylor
6. Corey Anderson (5)
7. Brendon McCullum (c) (wk)
8. Lance Cairns (4)
9. Sir Richard Hadlee (3)
10. Shane Bond (2)
11. Trent Boult (1)
Ok:

Arthur Morris
Bill Lawry
Don Bradman
Victor Trumper
Keith Miller
Neil Harvey
Adam Gilchrist
Alan Davidson
Shane Warne
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Righto

Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Ricky Ponting
Dean Jones
Shane Watson/Michael Bevan
Mike Hussey
Andrew Symonds
Brett Lee
Shane Warne
Nathan Bracken
Glenn McGrath
Superb team. lacking good allrounders though. With Sir Hadlee at nine, the NZ team that this Aus team will take on has a deep line-up, apart from the teamwork and never-say-die attitude that a typical NZ team has.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Righto

Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Ricky Ponting
Dean Jones
Shane Watson/Michael Bevan
Mike Hussey
Andrew Symonds (5)
Brett Lee (1)
Shane Warne (4)
Nathan Bracken (3)
Glenn McGrath (2)
Give me a bowling order and I'll run a head to head simulation. I'm assuming it's as I wrote above.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
The New Zealand ATG won 2529 to 2106 (32 ties) ($1.85 to $2.22).

Seems like the Aussie weak point was 1) Mark Waugh, who only averaged 32,15 against Bond and Boult and Hadlee and probably should be replaced with Hayden and 2) the lack of balance compared to New Zealand. If the NZ opening bowlers got wickets, and they usually did, the Bevan recovery job used up a lot of balls and Hussey, Symonds and Lee and not as good at hitting as Anderson, McCullum and Cairns (much less Taylor over Bevan for the slog overs).

Bond averaged 25.48 with a SR of 30.2 and an ER of 5.1, which seems to me to suggest that Aussie lack power in the death overs and were regularly cleaned up.

The Anderson-McCullum-Cairns axis in the lower order was worth an average of 80 runs per match with a SR of 92. The Aussie equivalent (Hussey-Symonds-Lee) was worth 85 but at an SR of 86, which I think made some difference in the end.

Sir Richard Hadlee got exactly one wicket per match which confirms my suspicions that in an ATG environment the opposition would mostly play Hadlee out and look to score off the others.