• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Picking Imran and Miller is cheating, unless you intend to play them purely as batsmen.

Andrew Flintoff a notable absentee from both teams, and Prasanna a consideration for a spinning berth as well.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ranking the top 11 West Indies test batsmen of all-time.

1st = Richard/Sobers

3 Lara
4 Headley
5 Weekes
6 Worrell
7 Kanhai
8 Walcott
9 Chanderpaul
10 Lloyd
11 Greenidge

Honorable mentions; Kalicharan, Hunte and Richardson

Tough job that, so many greats. Possibly a bit of cop-out bracketing Richards and Sobers, but there's very strong arguments for both. And I know many would rank Headley above Lara.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Batsmen averaging 49. Bowlers averaging 29. Keeper averaging 20.

Sehwag
Worrell (C)
Jayawardene
Inzamam
M. Clarke
Kapil
Evans (wk)
Vaas
Kumble
McKenzie
Gibbs
Take bolwers averaging 25.xx instead. Warne, Akhtar and Roberts from top of my head will make it.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ranking the top 11 West Indies test batsmen of all-time.

1st = Richard/Sobers

3 Lara
4 Headley
5 Weekes
6 Worrell
7 Kanhai
8 Walcott
9 Chanderpaul
10 Lloyd
11 Greenidge

Honorable mentions; Kalicharan, Hunte and Richardson

Tough job that, so many greats. Possibly a bit of cop-out bracketing Richards and Sobers, but there's very strong arguments for both. And I know many would rank Headley above Lara.
Just can't see Chanderpaul as better than Greenidge and Lloyd.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just can't see Chanderpaul as better than Greenidge and Lloyd.
Intuitively I felt the same way, but thought about it for a while & figured anyone who could average 50+ having played over 160 matches deserves to be right up there, even if their style didn't quite empty-out the bar in the way Greenidge and Lloyd did in years gone by.

How do you rank them Red?

Red

Intuitively I felt the same way, but thought about it for a while & figured anyone who could average 50+ having played over 160 matches deserves to be right up there, even if their style didn't quite empty-out the bar in the way Greenidge and Lloyd did in years gone by.

How do you rank them Red?
Totally get what you mean, wasn't a criticism at all. Chanders deserves to be in there, it's more my own mental image.

It's really hard to rank them I reckon. I might go something like this:

Headley=Sobers=Richards
Lara
Walcott
Weekes=Kanhai=Worrell
Greenidge=Lloyd

With Chanders 11th. But there's no real basis for any of it other than personal preference.

bagapath

International Captain
Oh boy... It is indeed very tough to rank the top west Indies batters.
Gun to my head, I guess I will go

Viv (for his unbridled aggression gets extra points and top position)
Lara (for raising above the mediocrity of his team. For shouldering too much responsibility)
Sobers (batted at 6 for a large part of his career. Should have been no 1 otherwise. No 1 as a cricketer overall)
Headley (played a lot less though for no fault of his)

Red

An XI of modern-ish players who have succeeded against most opponents in most conditions. Add on if you want.

~
~
Kumar Sangakkara
Sachin Tendulkar
~
~
~
~
Malcolm Marshall
~
~
Glenn McGrath