Cricket Player Manager
Page 23 of 259 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Imran in the 1980s was such a gun

It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post

This analysis is the best statistical analysis of bowlers done ever (of course I am not saying this because Imran comes out on top )
    Last edited by smalishah84; 15-09-2012 at 07:47 AM.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Mailey was the world's leading leg-spin googly bowler until Shane Warne came along.
    Grimmett, Benaud, Chandra and Abdul Qadir would like a word.

Funnily enough, Mailey is still hanging onto the best-ever innings bowling by an Australian - 9-121.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Oh yes! I was actively playing the game then so as we sat watching from behind the bowler's arm we used to wonder, seeing that late alarming in-swing how the hell one was expected to play it. Batsman after top Indian batsman struggled like school children, the great Gavaskar included.

The only one to play him with a degree of assurance at his best was Mohinder Amarnath.

Make that your avatar IMO.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Oh yes! I was actively playing the game then so as we sat watching from behind the bowler's arm we used to wonder, seeing that late alarming in-swing how the hell one was expected to play it. Batsman after top Indian batsman struggled like school children, the great Gavaskar included.

The only one to play him with a degree of assurance at his best was Mohinder Amarnath.
    Wow....did you ever manage to play Imran?

I think social here had once faced Marshall and Imran in the nets in the late 80s and he said that even then Imran was pretty sharp

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Grimmett, Benaud, Chandra and Abdul Qadir would like a word.

Funnily enough, Mailey is still hanging onto the best-ever innings bowling by an Australian - 9-121.
    That 9-121 was from the 1920/21 Ashes series (5 Tests). He went on to capture 36 wickets at an average of only 26.27 runs, and at a Strike Rate of an incredible 40.6 deliveries per wicket.

I'm not sure if there are better stat's for a leggie, or any type if spinner for that matter, during a Test match series. But if there are, I'd sure like to see them (against top notch opponents of course).

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
    Last edited by watson; 15-09-2012 at 10:02 AM.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

The thing about Mailey, as gun as he was and as much as I adore him, he leaked runs. Gun strike rate but I'd prefer Grimmett to wear down the opposition, then get his man
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Since the AT Englist team will be the hardest to pick, Lets start there. I Assume that everyone agrees with Hobbs so we will start with his partner. My vote goes to Hutton.
    What says the masses?
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Sutcliffe.

Hutton to bat at 3

I am with Mick Jager

Did Hammond ever actually bat at three though, and if Hutton and Sutcliffe bats together for any period of time, what would that look like?

We need to stop just looking at averages, one painfully slow anchor in the top three is quite enough, two is just over kill.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    We need to stop just looking at averages, one painfully slow anchor in the top three is quite enough, two is just over kill.
    For that reason - Hutton should bat at No.5 and anchor the middle order.

Attacking batsman can then play at No.4 and No.6 as they should.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Hammond batted at 3 or 4 the majority of the time. His batting average at number 3 is 75 (52 inns), so I think he should bat there for sure.

Hutton was an opener. Very rarely batted in the middle order. Not sure you can justify picking him there. It would be like an Australian XI picking Hayden at 5. No justification for it.

So Hobbs is a must for opening according to nearly everyone who selects a team. Evidently one the the greatest batsmen ever.

For me, top three must be:

Hobbs
    Sutcliffe OR Hutton
    Hammond

For positions 4 and 5 Compton must be considered. Played 108 innings at either 4 or 5 and averaged 54 there. Also has the flair to keep things going. I've swayed back and forth here on the other middle order bat, but I feel Barrington deserves a place, particularly when combined with Compton, Hammond and Botham, who I'll have at 6. Barrington for the anchor role at 4, and Compton at 5...

Hobbs
    Sutcliffe OR Hutton
    Hammond
    Barrington
    Compton
    Botham
    Knott

Botham is at 6 because he provides genuine match winning potential, either with brutal batting or skilful swing bowling. Cannot leave him out.

For my keeper I choose Alan Knott, a favourite of mine, high class keeper, decent bat, and I've heard he basically lived on a diet of milk and fruit. That kind of quirkiness is gold in the dressing rooms...

That leaves four spots for bowlers. This is where I am most unsure. SF Barnes is a must. I feel Trueman probably is as well. Jim Laker is my first choice as a spinner, so the last spot must go to a quick, as Barnes is something between a quick and a spinner. Statham over Willis, Bedser and Snow for me.

Jack Hobbs
    Sutcliffe or Hutton
    Wally Hammond
    Ken Barrington
    Dennis Compton
    Ian Botham
    Alan Knott
    Fred Trueman
    Brian Statham
    Jim Laker
    SF Barnes

Thread Information