• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Martin Crowe's team is very similar to mine. I would pick Barry Richards every time except that based on Tests he can't really get in so I pick Sunny instead. I also have Murali instead of Barnes.

bagapath

International Captain
Sunil Gavaskar's XI
also from "In a League of Their Own - 100 Cricket Legends Select Their World XI"

1) Jack Hobbs
With his record of 197 first-class hundreds and playing at a time of uncovered pitches, he must have been an amazing player.
2) Leonard Hutton
The same as above. Fast bowlers got closer to you in those days with the no-ball rule, so he must have been some player to handle the likes of Lindwall and Miller.
3) Donald Bradman
What can one say? He was the greatest, and more than 60 years down the road after his retirement from the game, there is nobody who comes remotely close to his record. A champion of one era would be a champion of any era.
4) Viv Richards
He was capable of conquering a bowler mentally with his aggressive batting. Viv was a complete destroyer. There was no such thing as a good ball to him.
5) Sachin Tendulkar
Simply the best batsman of the present day. I always expected him to beat my Test centuries’ record and score many more than my Test run aggregate. I told him early in his career, when I could see how talented he was, that if he didn’t score 40 Test centuries and 20 centuries in one-day cricket, I would kill him. Thankfully I won’t have to!
6) Garfield Sobers
The greatest cricketer ever – he could do anything. He could bat, bowl fast, bowl spin and was a great fielder anywhere. He could have kept wicket if he wanted to, and would have made a good job of it too. When you consider he batted at number six for most of his career and still got 26 hundreds, took over 200 Test wickets and over a hundred catches, you couldn’t find a better all-round cricketer than him.
7) Alan Knott
Knotty was as safe as a bank as a wicketkeeper. He was also a very good help to bowlers with his observations of batsmen. He was brilliant keeping to spinners and the quicks. As a batsman, you could rely on him to score runs, particularly when the chips were down.
8) Andy Roberts
The best fast bowler that I faced. He had the ability to surprise you, even when you were well past a century. You could never relax against him. With a lot of bowlers, as soon as you had seen off their first few overs, you knew you were okay – but not against this man.
9) Dennis Lillee
The same as Roberts, because he had the ability to produce the unplayable delivery, even to a batsman who was well past a hundred. There were many bowlers that were dangerous in their initial spell, but once past that stage only over-confidence could get you out. Against Lillee and Roberts you always had to watch out.
10) Fred Trueman
I didn’t see Fred Trueman at all, but to have been the first fast bowler to reach 300 Test wickets is an indication of how good a fast bowler he was. Being a character he would be ideal in the dressing room to brighten a tense moment, which of course this great team would not have too many of.
11) Bishan Bedi
He was a fantastic bowler who had great variety and a super action – he was poetry in motion. He could bowl six different balls in an over if he wanted to.

I have the book on Kindle; so can copy post teams if you want to know any particular player's favourite XI listed in the book

watson

Banned
Thanks baga. Does the book have Allan Border's XI? If yes then can you post that please?
Unfortunately, the book doesn't have Allan Border's XI smali.

However, here is Boon's team with Border in it;

DAVID BOON’S XI
You could pick this side three times over. However, of the players I have seen – with the exception of Bradman – here are the best in my opinion. I found it difficult, though, to leave out the likes of Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, Steve Waugh, Ian Botham, Michael Holding, Curtly Ambrose, Graham Gooch, Javed Miandad, Imran Khan and Wasim Akram. Unfortunately, I can only name 11!

1) Gordon Greenidge,
2) Sunil Gavaskar,
3) Donald Bradman,
4) Viv Richards,
5) Allan Border,
6) Garfield Sobers,
7) Ian Healy,
8) Shane Warne,
9) Malcolm Marshall,
10) Richard Hadlee,
11) Dennis Lillee

DAVID BOON played 107 Test matches for Australia between 1984–85 and 1995–96, scoring 7,422 runs at an average of 43.65. He plundered 21 Test centuries – the best being 200 versus New Zealand. His consistent run-scoring and reliability at number three was a key ingredient for his country’s success during his international career.
Not sure why Marshall bats above Hadlee. Healy is a contentious but understandable choice over Gilchrist.

Note: Not sure how many of these teams we can quote before we breach copywrite.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Bob Willis makes me happy.

1) Herbert Sutcliffe Underrated partner of Jack Hobbs and other more fêted openers; never let England down.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Bob Willis makes me happy.

1) Herbert Sutcliffe Underrated partner of Jack Hobbs and other more fêted openers; never let England down.
From checking out the stats in the back of the book (most votes for each player) the overall XI selected by these players would be:

Sunil Gavaskar (58)
Gordon Greenidge (26)
Don Bradman (53)
Viv Richards (64)
Sachin Tendulkar (42)
Garry Sobers (73)
Alan Knott (34)
Wasim Akram (27)
Malcolm Marshall (35)
Shane Warne (61)
Dennis Lillee (53)

Of course many players excluded players before their time, or only picked players they played with/against.

By the way, here are all the players who have an XI in this book.

Abdul Qadir, Neil Adcock, Bob Appleyard, Asif Iqbal, Mohammad Azharuddin, Trevor Bailey, Bishan Bedi, Sir Alec Bedser, Richie Benaud, Colin Bland, David Boon, Sir Ian Botham, Geoffrey Boycott, Sir Donald Bradman, Bill Brown, Bhagwath Chandrasekhar, Greg Chappell, Colin Croft, Martin Crowe, Danish Kaneria, Alan Davidson, Aravinda De Silva, Allan Donald, Rahul Dravid, Jeffrey Dujon, John Edrich, Joel Garner, Sunil Gavaskar, Herschelle Gibbs, Lance Gibbs, Trevor Goddard, Graham Gooch, Darren Gough, Tom Graveney, Gordon Greenidge, Charlie Griffith, Subhash Gupte, Sir Richard Hadlee, Hanif Mohammed, Neil Harvey, Vijay Hazare, Ian Healy, Michael Holding, Merv Hughes, Conrad Hunte, Ray Illingworth, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Dean Jones, Alvin Kallicharran, Jacques Kallis, Kapil Dev, Syed Kirmani, Anil Kumble, Clive Lloyd, Majid Khan, Malcolm Marshall, Graham McKenzie, Mohammed Yousuf, Mudassar Nazar, Deryck Murray, Mushtaq Ahmed, Mushtaq Mohammed, Makhaya Ntini, Graeme Pollock, Shaun Pollock, Erapalli Prasanna, Mike Procter, Sonny Ramadhin, Arjuna Ranatunga, Barry Richards, Richie Richardson, Andy Roberts, Lawrence Rowe, Saeed Anwar, Saqlain Mushtaq, Ravi Shastri, Michael Slater, Robin Smith, John Snow, Alec Stewart, Bert Sutcliffe, Bob Taylor, Jeff Thomson, Graham Thorpe, Marcus Trescothick, Fred Trueman, Frank Tyson, ‘Polly’ Umrigar, Derek Underwood, Alf Valentine, Dilip Vengsarkar, John Waite, Sir Clyde Walcott, Doug Walters, Waqar Younis, Shane Warne, Wasim Akram, Bob Willis, John Wright, Zaheer Abbas.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Thanks baga. Does the book have Allan Border's XI? If yes then can you post that please?
That book doesn't feature his XI in it. But I have Allan Border's "Cricket as I see it" in which Border does select his dream teams.

World XI (from those who played against Border)

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Richards
Tendulkar
Lara
Botham
Knott (wk)
Akram
Marshall
Garner
Qadir
12th man: Ambrose

He mentions ABDV as one of his current favourites.

Australia XI (from those who played with him)

Hayden
Taylor
Boon
G.Chappell
S.Waugh
M.Waugh
Healy (wk)
Warne
Lillee
McGrath
Thomson

12th man: Alderman

Gilly seems to be one of his favourites.

watson

Banned
Good to see that both Boon and Border acknowledge great keeping and pick Healy, and that overall the 'legends' favoured Alan Knott.

It's also interesting that Dennis Lillee romped it in over Malcolm Marshall as the preferred fast bowler - 53 votes to 35. Although I guess the votes may have been skewed because many 'legends' only chose those players which they had seen or played against.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see that both Boon and Border acknowledge great keeping and pick Healy, and that overall the 'legends' favoured Alan Knott.
I'd hazard a guess that some of the teams mentioned were made quite a long time ago, probably before Gilchrist became established as by far the greatest wicketkeeper batsman. When did Boon and Border make those teams? Not saying them selecting Healy or Knott is a shock, mind.

Flem274*

123/5
Unzud Update

Glenn Turner | Bert Sutcliffe | Martin Crowe (c) | Kane Williamson | Ross Taylor | John R. Reid | Brendon McCullum (wk) | Richard Hadlee | Bruce Taylor | Shane Bond | Jack Cowie

Seconds

Mark Richardson | John Wright | Stewie Dempster | Martin Donnelly | Stephen Fleming | Brendon McCullum (c) | Chris Cairns | BJ Watling (wk) | Daniel Vettori | Tim Southee | Trent Boult

Big Daddy Kane and his Gold Chain really can't be denied now. I know it's not the best team in the world but making your countries finest eleven players at 24 years of age is a top effort. I consider the two parts of McCullum's career as being like two different players since it's a bit weird to combine them, and his basic career statistics don't do him justice. My biggest call is Watling because Smithy and Parore were better gloveman but Watling is very tidy and the vastly superior batsman and I wanted a h4x engine room. Vettori in the seconds also my other huge call, actually crap Vettori is in the same boat as Baz so I need to rethink this.

Bloody kiwis changing their playing roles willy nilly.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chris Cairns not in the first XI is a bit left-field. Reid and him as 6 and 7 are perfect. Probably have one of Dempster and Donnelley ahead of KW as of now, but that's a close call.

Flem274*

123/5
nah dempster and donnelly are obviously two of the best players we've produced but not two of the best test players. it's barry richards all over again.

10 tons all over the world against world class bowlers. australia are pretty much the only team he doesn't have a big one against and he's only played them twice as a kid on green tops.

cairns was close but i wanted the four best quicks on the field which makes it cairns v reid and reid shades it because he can bowl offies and fast medium. plus i've soured on cairns after certain mud sticking...

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dump Bruce Taylor for Cairns. Reid and KW to be the spin options. More balanced team with a very deep batting line-up to cover for the relative lack of ATG quality.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Unzud Update

Glenn Turner | Bert Sutcliffe | Martin Crowe (c) | Kane Williamson | Ross Taylor | John R. Reid | Brendon McCullum (wk) | Richard Hadlee | Bruce Taylor | Shane Bond | Jack Cowie

Seconds

Mark Richardson | John Wright | Stewie Dempster | Martin Donnelly | Stephen Fleming | Brendon McCullum (c) | Chris Cairns | BJ Watling (wk) | Daniel Vettori | Tim Southee | Trent Boult

Big Daddy Kane and his Gold Chain really can't be denied now. I know it's not the best team in the world but making your countries finest eleven players at 24 years of age is a top effort. I consider the two parts of McCullum's career as being like two different players since it's a bit weird to combine them, and his basic career statistics don't do him justice. My biggest call is Watling because Smithy and Parore were better gloveman but Watling is very tidy and the vastly superior batsman and I wanted a h4x engine room. Vettori in the seconds also my other huge call, actually crap Vettori is in the same boat as Baz so I need to rethink this.

Your insight'd into NZ'd be better than mine, but I'd go:

Glenn Turner
Bert Sutcliffe
Stephen Fleming *
Martin Crowe
Kane Williamson
Brendon McCullum +
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Dan Vettori
Shane Bond
Jack Cowie

Still reckon Fleming is worth it as a package of batsman at #3, skipper and slipper. Taylor or Williamson flip of the coin at this stage but expect Williamson to overtake a few before he ends. Including McCullum as a WKing all rounder gives you 5 very good bowlers. Cairns or John R Reid could be interchanged. As always NZ punches above it's size, these ATG NZ teams would match most nation's ATG teams imo.

Last edited:

Red

Australian XIs (No Bradman). One selected for spinner's wickets, the other selected for pacey wickets.

Spinner's wicket XI

Matt Hayden
Victor Trumper
Dean Jones
Neil Harvey
Keith Miller
Allan Border
Ian Healy
Shane Warne
Clarrie Grimmett
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

Pace wicket XI

Bill Lawry
Victor Trumper
Ricky Ponting
Greg Chappell
Mark Waugh
Mike Hussey
Adam Gilchrist
Mitchell Johnson
Ray Lindwall
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

Red

England Spinner's Wicket XI

Alistair Cook
Len Hutton
Mike Gatting
Colin Cowdrey
Douglas Jardine
Tony Greig
Ian Botham
Allan Knott
Jim Laker
Derek Underwood
SF Barnes

Flametree

International 12th Man
Unzud Update

Seconds

Yeah, not sure it's allowed to put the same player in two teams in two different roles.

Anyone know what McCullum's average is since he gave up the gloves? I felt he'd made a lot of very big scores but with not so much inbetween so his overall average isn't that great. Think it's a big call to pick him as a batsman ahead of Andrew Jones, Jesse Ryder or Nathan Astle.

Not sure about Southee ahead of Nash/Doull/Motz etc, but like youTrent Boult now makes my NZ 2nd xi, ahead of Collinge...

watson

Banned
Australian XIs (No Bradman). One selected for spinner's wickets, the other selected for pacey wickets.

Spinner's wicket XI

Matt Hayden
Victor Trumper
Dean Jones
Neil Harvey
Keith Miller
Allan Border
Ian Healy
Shane Warne
Clarrie Grimmett
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

Pace wicket XI

Bill Lawry
Victor Trumper
Ricky Ponting
Greg Chappell
Mark Waugh
Mike Hussey
Adam Gilchrist
Mitchell Johnson
Ray Lindwall
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath
Need Stan McCabe in that Pace team for sure.