• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Pre 1st January 1953 Ashes Team

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Len Hutton
03. Don Bradman
04. Peter May
05. Denis Compton
06. Keith Miller
07. Les Ames
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Harold Larwood
10. Sydney Barnes
11. Bill O'Reilly
And the rest XI (pre 1st Jan 1953):

1. Bruce Mitchell
2. Hanif Mohammad
3. George Headley
4. Everton Weekes
5. Frank Worrell
6. Clyde Walcott
7. Aubrey Faulkner
8. Amar Singh
9. Hugh Tayfield
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Jack Cowie

I didn't think much about it though, probably would have picked Dudley Nourse, Learie Constantine, Hazare or Merchant on some other day but regardless the match up would have been interesting between pre 1953 Ashes vs Rest XI

watson

Banned
And the rest XI (pre 1st Jan 1953):

1. Bruce Mitchell
2. Hanif Mohammad
3. George Headley
4. Everton Weekes
5. Frank Worrell
6. Clyde Walcott
7. Aubrey Faulkner
8. Amar Singh
9. Hugh Tayfield
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Jack Cowie

I didn't think much about it though, probably would have picked Dudley Nourse, Learie Constantine, Hazare or Merchant on some other day but regardless the match up would have been interesting between pre 1953 Ashes vs Rest XI
Funnily enough, I had already penciled in the following team before I posted the Ashes team...

01. Bruce Mitchell
02. Hanif Mohammad
03. George Headley
04. Dudley Nourse
05. Frank Worrell
06. Aubrey Faulkner
07. John Waite
08. Learie Constantine
09. Hugh Tayfield
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Jack Cowie

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Funnily enough, I had already penciled in the following team before I posted the Ashes team...

01. Bruce Mitchell
02. Hanif Mohammad
03. George Headley
04. Dudley Nourse
05. Frank Worrell
06. Aubrey Faulkner
07. John Waite
08. Learie Constantine
09. Hugh Tayfield
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Jack Cowie
There can be a fair bit of debate in constantine vs amar singh. I think Amar Singh is under rated. Both could bat and overall they somewhat match. Constantine was one of the greatest fielders getting praises from everywhere including Bradman but Amar was a great fielder too, the best in the Indian team at the time. Purely from a bowling perspective, probably Amar edges Constantine. Constantine was faster in patches but Amar was more consistent and Hutton and Hammond both highly appreciated his bowling. Amar uprooted Hammond, got likes of Sutcliffe, Ames and Leyland

Last edited:

watson

Banned
There can be a fair bit of debate in constantine vs amar singh. I think Amar Singh is under rated. Both could bat and overall they somewhat match. Constantine was one of the greatest fielders getting praises from everywhere including Bradman but Amar was a great fielder too, the best in the Indian team at the time. Purely from a bowling perspective, probably Amar edges Constantine. Constantine was faster in patches but Amar was more consistent and Hutton and Hammond both highly appreciated his bowling. Amar uprooted Hammond, got likes of Sutcliffe, Ames and Leyland
Walter Hammond wrote in his 1948 autobiography;

The fastest bowlers of my time were Larwood, Constantine, Gregory, McDonald, McCormick, Wall, Voce - and perhaps Gilbert the Aboriginal.
Constantine in his 13 Tests against England from 1928 to 1939 dismissed Hammond 8 times, more than any other batsman that he bowled against - thus perhaps underscoring Hammond's general distaste for fast bowling.

Of Amar Singh Hammond wrote;

It was a great blow to Indian cricket when Amar Singh died. I remember playing against him in the 1932 Tests - the first Indian Tests in England - and I found him as brilliant an opening bowler as ever I have faced in any country. The 1946 team with Nissar and Amar Singh to strengthen the bowling, might have turned the tables on us I think, and given India her first Test rubber in history.

Amar Singh was a great success when he went to the Lancashire league.....
So yes it is a close run thing between Constantine and Amar Singh, but for the sake of team balance I prefer Learie Constantine because there should be at least one bowler in any given team who can bowl a decent bouncer and beat the batsman with sheer pace. With Singh, Cowie, and Mahmoid in the side it is probably a case of one fast-medium bowler too many.

(Nice to see that you're drafting again Andy)

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Walter Hammond wrote in his 1948 autobiography;

Constantine in his 13 Tests against England from 1928 to 1939 dismissed Hammond 8 times, more than any other batsman that he bowled against - thus perhaps underscoring Hammond's general distaste for fast bowling.

Of Amar Singh Hammond wrote;

So yes it is a close run thing between Constantine and Amar Singh, but for the sake of team balance I prefer Learie Constantine because there should be at least one bowler in any given team who can bowl a decent bouncer and beat the batsman with sheer pace. With Singh, Cowie, and Mahmoid in the side it is probably a case of one fast-medium bowler too many.

(Nice to see that you're drafting again Andy)
Agreed that someone got to be there for intimidating thus Constantine getting the nod also goes to show lack of consistent genuine quicks apart from England and Australia in those eras. Martindale, Nissar come closer.

watson

Banned
Garry Sobers only played one ODI so strictly speaking he doesn't deserve to be in the team. However, Lara has made one of those assumptions - a batting genius would go OK in any era, any format.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a good assumption. Obviously he couldn't include himself in the XI. I would agree with most of his picks -

Greenidge
Gayle
Sir Viv
Lara
Lloyd
Sobers
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose

Red