Cricket Player Manager
Page 210 of 264 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220260 ... LastLast
Results 3,136 to 3,150 of 3951
Like Tree314Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

  1. #3136
    International Regular harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,148
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    Since he has played in only four games Barry would make it to the not-on-the-honor board XI for any ground in the world. He can open wth andy ganteaume. We can accept this as a standard practice and choose teams without them so that we can consider proper test cricketers also.
    If not Barry, then Hayden probably.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  2. #3137
    International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,358
    That's the greatness of Richards though. His greatness over 4 tests can be stacked up over Hayden though he's played many more.

  3. #3138
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,280
    His greatness is not based on those 4 games.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2


    W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

    S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

    Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

  4. #3139
    International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,358
    Well they were pretty good all the same. Even if his fc record is the measure its still a terrific effort to have made such a rep.


  5. #3140
    International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    5,648
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    That's the greatness of Richards though. His greatness over 4 tests can be stacked up over Hayden though he's played many more.
    Of course it can't. There's no way anyone can say Barry Richards is better than Hayden as a test batsman. Overall, taking his FC career and WSC, maybe,... but tests? No

  6. #3141
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,363
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Of course it can't. There's no way anyone can say Barry Richards is better than Hayden as a test batsman. Overall, taking his FC career and WSC, maybe,... but tests? No
    I don't think anyone says he's a better test batsman. Just a better batsman

  7. #3142
    International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    5,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I don't think anyone says he's a better test batsman. Just a better batsman
    What does this mean, then?

    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    That's the greatness of Richards though. His greatness over 4 tests can be stacked up over Hayden though he's played many more.

  8. #3143
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,363
    There's not much point arguing about this stuff. There is no doubt Barry Richards was an incredible batsman. His FC records shows that. His all too brief test record shows that. His WSC record very very clearly shows that. Clearly four tests isn't enough to judge him as a test cricketer, but nearly everyone who saw him bat (good judges) say he was uncannily good, even to the point of being the second best of all time. For some people that's enough, for others he didn't prove himself. Dun matter, he was a great batsman.

  9. #3144
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,363
    One of the really sad things about SA missing so many years was the fact that Barry Richards, Graham Pollock and Procter would've all legit been contenders for an ATG world XI, but the world just never got to see enough of them. They would've been the nucleus of a team about as great as the Australians of recent times, the WIs of the 80s and the Invincibles.

  10. #3145
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    One of the really sad things about SA missing so many years was the fact that Barry Richards, Graham Pollock and Procter would've all legit been contenders for an ATG world XI, but the world just never got to see enough of them. They would've been the nucleus of a team about as great as the Australians of recent times, the WIs of the 80s and the Invincibles.
    Yup, probably the 4th best team in history.

    Barry Richards was just brilliant, and for those who saw him was almost on par with the two batsmen who bracketed him as the best in the world. The great Sir Garry and his name sake Sir Issac Vivian.

  11. #3146
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,536
    From now on we should judge the greatness of cricketers by their performances in ICC 2013 all time great matches.
    bagapath likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  12. #3147
    International Debutant the big bambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,358
    Calm down peeps. I made the adjustment for the Richards' comment. Fact that his fc record still trumps Hayden is impressive enough.

  13. #3148
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,144
    Australian ODI XI of players who never played in the shorter format.

    Trumper
    Morris
    Bradman
    Harvey
    McCartney
    Gregory
    Miller
    Benaud (C)
    Davidson
    Lindwall
    Tallon (wk)


    This team can bat down to no 10. Seven of them, No 1 and No 5 to No 10, are thrilling stroke makers who will give it a serious whack. No. 2 and No. 4 are masters in building innings. No. 3, of course, will carry his bat in every game.

    The bowling has the accurate pace and swing of miller and lindwall to dominate any batting line-up. gregory was a little erratic at times but he was express fast. davidson was much slower but always laser sharp. This combination should be good for any condition. Of course, the skipper richie benaud was a master spinner who will complete the attack with his bag of tricks.

  14. #3149
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    7,253
    Trumper
    Macartney
    Bradman
    McCabe
    Miller
    Harvey
    Davidson
    Lindwall
    Tallon +
    O'Reilly
    Grimmett

    Batting line-up is a bit short, so perhaps remove Grimmett and play Jack Gregory in his place.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

  15. #3150
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,363
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    Australian ODI XI of players who never played in the shorter format.

    Trumper
    Morris
    Bradman
    Harvey
    McCartney
    Gregory
    Miller
    Benaud (C)
    Davidson
    Lindwall
    Tallon (wk)


    This team can bat down to no 10. Seven of them, No 1 and No 5 to No 10, are thrilling stroke makers who will give it a serious whack. No. 2 and No. 4 are masters in building innings. No. 3, of course, will carry his bat in every game.

    The bowling has the accurate pace and swing of miller and lindwall to dominate any batting line-up. gregory was a little erratic at times but he was express fast. davidson was much slower but always laser sharp. This combination should be good for any condition. Of course, the skipper richie benaud was a master spinner who will complete the attack with his bag of tricks.
    Love this ****.

    I'd go something like...

    - Victor Trumper: Would've been an amazing limited overs opener. Nuf said really.
    - Charlie Macartney: Think Gilly, or Sehwag, or Jaya, but maybe even better! Decent bowling option too.
    - Don Bradman: Scored incredibly quickly and was the Don. Good fieldsman.
    - Clem Hill: Along with Trumper, our greatest batsman pre Bradman. Nice to have a LH in the mix
    - Keith Miller: Would've been the greatest ODI player of all time, given the chance. Big hitting bat, brilliant pace bowler, brilliant fielder.
    - Warwick Armstrong: The big ship was a beautiful batsman and very steady slow bowler. Skipper of the XI
    - Neil Harvey - Batting low, playing the Bevan/Hussey role, would've been masterful. One of our best fielders of all time.
    - Alan Davidson: Miserly left armer, would've been similar to McGrath in his ability to tie good batsmen down.
    - Ray Lindwall: Brett Lee style ODI bowler who would've been incredible in the shorter form. Capable batsman.
    - Hanson "Sammy" Carter: Quality keeper who was playing "over the shoulder scoops" a long time before it became funky.
    - Clarrie Grimmet: Miserly leggie, capable of tying down batsmen and causing rash shots.

    Bowlers- Lindwall, Miller, Davidson, Grimmett, Armstrong and Macartney.
    bagapath likes this.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thread Hijacks
    By sledger in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 05:32 PM
  2. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 06:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •