Cricket Player Manager
Page 21 of 247 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    If Bradman is not allowed I would replace him with Archie Jackson or Wally Hammond FTR
    There must be batsman who are just as naturally gifted as Archie Jackson but with the Tests matches and runs on the board to back up their talent.

Rohan Kanhai springs to mind. Possibly the most aesthetically pleasing, and therefore gifted batsman of all time.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    A very talented and under rated batsman on here, and a batsman many thought was the equal of Sobers and every bit the equal of Harvey, Weekes, Compton ect.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    There must be batsman who are just as naturally gifted as Archie Jackson but with the Tests matches and runs on the board to back up their talent.
    The name's McCabe.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    The name's McCabe.
    Yep, he's another one.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    The name's McCabe.
    And Mark Waugh...
    I'd like to imagine in cricketing heaven that Hughes has already found Archie Jackson and they're sitting, smiling and discussing what might've been, and also discussing how fickle both batting and life can be. Maybe Trumper sits close by, nodding.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    And Mark Waugh...
    Importantly, we can watch videos of Kanhai and Waugh in action and know for sure that they were aesthetically brilliant. Not so McCabe as the footage is very limited.

Incidently, here is a Kanhai century that I like;

2nd 'Test': Australia v World XI at Perth, 10-12 Dec 1971

Rohan Kanhai 118 vs Australia 2nd test Perth 1971/72 - YouTube

In the first innings Dennis Lillee took 8-29 on a lively Perth track. On the same wicket Kanhai came out and struck 118 runs in the second innings. In neither innings was he dismissed by Lillee;
    Last edited by watson; 14-09-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Importantly, we can watch videos of Kanhai and Waugh in action and know for sure that they were brilliant. Not so McCabe as the footage is very limited.
    Read Between Wickets by Ray Robinson. Picked it up for $2 in a second hand bookshop in Braidwood; it made me fall in cricketing love with McCabe (and Maurice Tate) - and I haven't finished it yet.

I originally did this write-up for the second Reserve League Draft, but never got around to doing the entire team:

Stan McCabe was a batsman renowned for taking on the best bowlers of his day with his enterprising strokeplay, fearless nature and unmatched ability against pace.

There were three defining innings in the career of McCabe, the first coming during the now-infamous Bodyline series. His 187*, made from only 233 balls in 242 minutes, proved him as the only batsman to truly handle the bowling of Larwood, Voce, Allen and co. In a match lacking Bradman, his talent came to the fore as he shored up an uncertain batting order – only two other batsmen passed 30 – hooking with little regard for his safety as those around him crumbled. Ray Robinson, writing in Between Wickets, compared the innings to a blood transfusion for the Australian side.

In 1938 he made his second tour to England, following on from a highly successful 1934 outing, and it seemed unlikely that he could surpass his previous achievements. However, his 232 in the opening match at Trent Bridge made Bradman look decidedly amateur; when McCabe came back to the pavilion at the conclusion of his innings, made at a strike rate of 80, Bradman is reported to have said “If I could play an innings like that, I’d be a proud man Stan”.

What made the 232 even more special was McCabe’s form leading in to the match – he was having a torrid time, and suggested to selectors that he be left out. To quote Robinson once more, “If McCabe’s 187 was a blood transfusion for his side, his 232 in the Nottingham Test, 1938, was a heart-massage that revived the patient when hope had been given up.”

S.F. Barnes, the greatest bowler of the early 20th Century, spoke of the innings as the finest he had seen, surpassing the efforts of Victor Trumper. In a conversation with Neville Cardus, he is reported as saying “I don’t think I could have kept him quiet”, such was the ferocity of the innings.

His third innings of spectacular proportions was at Johannesburg in 1935, as he made 189* to steer a chase widely believed to be impossible. Set 399 to win in just over a day, on a wearing wicket, up against a strong attack, and entering the fray at 1/17, McCabe used attack as the best form of defence, making 148 of a 2nd wicket stand of 177 with Jack Fingleton, speeding to a century in 91 minutes (at that point, the third fastest in history by time). At a quarter to three on the final day, an appeal against the light was upheld and a thunderstorm destroyed any chance of a result with the score at 2/274. It is crucial to note, however, that the appeal came from the South African captain, who believed McCabe’s aggressive strokeplay to be putting his fielders at risk.

He was a master of the sticky wicket, unlike many of his Australian contemporaries, and was universally liked – even the bowlers whom he despatched mercilessly found him impossible to dislike. He was also a useful medium pace change bowler, with a ‘wrong-un’ that broke back into the right hander and a delivery style that came through a yard quicker than expected. At second slip, his fielding was unparalleled and he was fearless in close.

As Robinson said “When McCabe got out, the melody lingered on, and often it was some time before you noticed what kind of tune the next batsman played”.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Excellent well written piece about a wonderful player, a player comparable to Greg Chappel and Wally Hammond who was invaluable to his team as a more than useful bowler who opened on occasion and from all reports a wonderful slip fielder.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    All time great Have Seen XI

1. Sunil Gavaskar
    2. Gordon Greenidge
    3. Ricky Ponting/Rahul Dravid
    4. Sachin Tendulkar
    5. Gary Sobers
    6. Andy Flower/Adam Gilchrist
    7. Richard Hadlee
    8. Shane Warne
    9. Andy Roberts
    10. Dennis Lillee
    11. Muralitharan
    Last edited by SJS; 14-09-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Excellent well written piece about a wonderful player, a player comparable to Greg Chappel and Wally Hammond who was invaluable to his team as a more than useful bowler who opened on occasion and from all reports a wonderful slip fielder.
    Here we have some good footage (albeit rather short) of Stan McCabe bowling with his round-arm action. And even Bradman which must be rare indeed. Enjoy.

AUSTRALIA'S CRICKET TEST HOPES - British Pathé
    Last edited by watson; 14-09-2012 at 08:23 PM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Here we have some good footage (albeit rather short) of Stan McCabe bowling with his round-arm action. And even Bradman which must be rare indeed. Enjoy.

AUSTRALIA'S CRICKET TEST HOPES - British Pathé
    What an absolute treasure house.

Thanks a ton !!

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    What an absolute treasure house.

Thanks a ton !!
    You're welcome.

If you find any significant footage of McCabe batting in your travels through Pathe then please post it. I'm still searching.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    You're welcome.

If you find any significant footage of McCabe batting in your travels through Pathe then please post it. I'm still searching.
    Cricket Archives | DVD | ABC Shop

Not sure if you've seen this Watson, but you'd enjoy it. Can't remember if it has McCabe on it, but I'll watch it again soon and let you know. Has limited footage of Trumper, Archie Jackson, Clem Hill etc. Fair bit of Bradman, Miller, Lindwall....

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    good stuff
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    All time great Have Seen XI

1. Sunil Gavaskar
    2. Gordon Greenidge
    3. Ricky Ponting/Rahul Dravid
    4. Sachin Tendulkar
    5. Gary Sobers
    6. Andy Flower/Adam Gilchrist
    7. Richard Hadlee
    8. Shane Warne
    9. Andy Roberts
    10. Dennis Lillee
    11. Muralitharan
    haven't you had the great good fortune to see lara and khan live, assuming it is live at the ground that you are talking about?
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

Thread Information