• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Let's dispell this myth that Flower was a good enough keeper for a World XI. He was a truly magnificent batsman, but he really wasn't a proper keeper...not even handy. Was regularly sloppy behind the stumps and mediocre at best.
Picky ****!

****ing Sanga can have the gloves then!

Red

To play them....

Len Hutton
Glenn Turner
Jaques Kallis
Sachin Tendulkar
Dave Houghton
Mominul Haque
Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan

Malcolm Marshall
Murali

watson

Banned
I like.....

01. Barry Richards
02. Sunil Gavaskar
03. Don Bradman
04. Garry Sobers
05. Andy Flower
06. Kevin O'Brien
07. Shakib Al Hasan
08. Alan Knott
09. Imran Khan
10. Richard Hadlee
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

watson

Banned
Yeah I always pick Bart King in this exercise.

Kevin O'Brien is a seriously seriously weird pick even given the criteria unless you're picking a one day team.
I jumped the gun and picked an Irishman because Ireland are apparently the most likely according to Redhill;

This has been done before but the task is to pick a balanced XI by selecting one player from each of the ten test playing nations. This team can be completed when Ireland get test status in the near future.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Kevin O'Brien is a weird selection even compared to other potential Irishmen though. He doesn't even get a gig in the four day stuff at county level (and he's tried). Joyce and Morgan on the other hand have been in England Test squads.

watson

Banned
Kevin O'Brien is a weird selection even compared to other potential Irishmen though. He doesn't even get a gig in the four day stuff at county level (and he's tried). Joyce and Morgan on the other hand have been in England Test squads.
I think that Joyce has played for Ireland, but what about Morgan?

Edit: Morgan yes.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
jesus watson how can you not know morgan and joyce have played for ireland? have you watched a game since 1989?
I didn't realise it was compulsory to be an authority on every facet of the game. It is desirable if course, but I refuse to get Foxtel or PayTV out of principle to watch all those 'obscure' games. In short, I only have so many hours in the day to do what I really want to do, and that generally doesn't include reading Cricinfo to see what a couple of Irish cricketers are up to.

Red

jesus watson how can you not know morgan and joyce have played for ireland? have you watched a game since 1989?
Yeh, this doesn't really make sense.

I watch as much cricket as I can, and I don't think I've ever watched an Irish game.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Odd comments, you don't have to have watched the games where Morgan actually played for Ireland, (though the 2007 WC campaign has become something of folklore) you'd just need to have watched any of the many games a commentator has mentioned the start of Morgan's career or followed any of the many articles complaining about the lack of "Englishmen' in the English team, or kept up with pretty much any English tour thread on CW ever.

He is a fairly significant cricketing figure.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Odd comments, you don't have to have watched the games where Morgan actually played for Ireland, (though the 2007 WC campaign has become something of folklore) you'd just need to have watched any of the many games a commentator has mentioned the start of Morgan's career or followed any of the many articles complaining about the lack of "Englishmen' in the English team, or kept up with pretty much any English tour thread on CW ever.

He is a fairly significant cricketing figure.
I do find it odd that watson spends so much time soaking up knowledge about things such as who the third best South African bowler of the 1940s was but knows so little about what's going on right now sometimes, but each to their own.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeh, this doesn't really make sense.

I watch as much cricket as I can, and I don't think I've ever watched an Irish game.
but i bet you knew morgan at least played for ireland.

athlai has it nailed. i hardly get to see ireland play as well but i know enough to get by, and even casual fans know morgan's history...

Red

I do find it odd that watson spends so much time soaking up knowledge about things such as who the third best South African bowler of the 1940s was but knows so little about what's going on right now sometimes, but each to their own.
Each to their own is true. I love cricket history with a passion for a lot of reasons and read a lot about it, but I watch as much modern cricket as I can. Usually tbh this only involves Aust matches.

I honestly know sweet FA about most of the associate teams, no idea.

Red

but i bet you knew morgan at least played for ireland.

athlai has it nailed. i hardly get to see ireland play as well but i know enough to get by, and even casual fans know morgan's history...

Fair comment. But I'd have no idea who the better players are for any of the associate teams.

On the topic, I'd leave the space in my side vacant til Ireland produce a worthy player :happy: