Page 204 of 224 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 3346
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    No need to have ABDV if Dhoni is in the team
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

I was thinking about this today; At what point do we start having ABDv as a legitimate candidate to replace Gilchirst in the keeper-batsman role in a world XI? I think he's a lot more versatile batsman than Gilchrist and is somebody I like more coming in at No.6 regardless of whether the score is 60/4 or 385/4. Based on seeing them both play, I think he's also more likely to have success against high quality bowling in a variety of conditions. He averages 57 over 21 tests as the designated keeper and most of it has been against a high standard of opposition. Thoughts?
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I was thinking about this today; At what point do we start having ABDv as a legitimate candidate to replace Gilchirst in the keeper-batsman role in a world XI? I think he's a lot more versatile batsman than Gilchrist and is somebody I like more coming in at No.6 regardless of whether the score is 60/4 or 385/4. Based on seeing them both play, I think he's also more likely to have success against high quality bowling in a variety of conditions. He averages 57 over 21 tests as the designated keeper and most of it has been against a high standard of opposition. Thoughts?
    Even if he retired tomorrow I think I'd have de Villiers down as the better batsman of the two - with the gloves or without. Gilchrist was just such a better gloveman though that de Villiers would really have to improve in that area; he'd probably find his way into the side on batting alone before he offered a better batting+keeping package than Gilchrist at his standard level of glovework.

I actually regard Andy Flower as a better batsman than Gilchrist but leave him out for similar reasons. Gilchrist's glove-work tends to be really under-rated in these discussions for some reason.
    kyear2, Coronis and honestbharani like this.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Even if he retired tomorrow I think I'd have de Villiers down as the better batsman of the two - with the gloves or without. Gilchrist was just such a better gloveman though that de Villiers would really have to improve in that area; he'd probably find his way into the side on batting alone before he offered a better batting+keeping package than Gilchrist at his standard level of glovework.

I actually regard Andy Flower as a better batsman than Gilchrist but leave him out for similar reasons. Gilchrist's glove-work tends to be really under-rated in these discussions for some reason.
    That's interesting. If ABdV goes down as the best bat of the Clarke-KP-Amla era but just outside Hammond-Hobbs-Sachin etc., you'd still Gilchrist for his superior keeping?

I rate Gilchrist as a test bat a lot less than you, I guess. I think he'd be one of the bats who'd suffer the most disproportionately from a hypothetical marked increase in quality of bowling across the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I think he'd be one of the bats who'd suffer the most disproportionately from a hypothetical marked increase in quality of bowling across the world.
    I agree really. I just don't think de Villiers's glovework would really cut it at that level either. I think what you rate higher than me is de Villiers's keeping.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    What I would say though is that de Villiars keeping is continuing to improve by leaps while his batting surprisingly isn't suffering as a result. If he can keep that up for a couple more years, he will have a shot to supplant Gilly and anyone else.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Debutant
    Gilchrist was one of the most destructive batsmen in cricket history. He could turn a tight game overwhelmingly in Australia's favour inside a session. At no point would I have DeVilliers, Flower, Knott, Ames, Lindsay or anyone over him and would be stoked if you had 1st chance to pick him in a draft but overlooked him.
    bagapath, Justo, The Sean and 1 others like this.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Here is John Arlott's "Desert Island" cricket XI. According to Arlott it is a team "of angels I will most enjoy watching in heaven."

01. Jack Hobbs
    02. Mike Brearley
    03. Viv Richards
    04. Ted Dexter
    05. Keith Miller
    06. Ian Botham
    07. George Brown +
    08. Learie Constantine
    09. Wilfred Rhodes
    10. Jim Laker
    11. Wes Hall
    12th. Basil D'Oliveira

Cricketing pioneer John Arlott died 10 years ago | Sport | The Guardian
    Last edited by watson; 08-07-2014 at 02:50 AM.
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong" - Oscar Wilde

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Arlott and Brearley got on extremely well, and indeed back in the 80s a book containing their conversations was published - I reckon JA only selected him for this exercise because he knew he'd be back in the pavilion almost straight away after going out to bat, and they'd be able to carry their convivial quaffing of a vintage Beaujolais
    smalishah84 likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Arlott and Brearley got on extremely well, and indeed back in the 80s a book containing their conversations was published - I reckon JA only selected him for this exercise because he knew he'd be back in the pavilion almost straight away after going out to bat, and they'd be able to carry their convivial quaffing of a vintage Beaujolais
    Surely a worthy criteria for selecting an opening batsman?

George Brown seems quite a character as well as a reasonable bat - opened for England during the Gregory/McDonald series and averaged 50.
    Last edited by watson; 08-07-2014 at 03:06 AM.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Given that he would be watching from heaven (or wherever else he ended up), that would be a feat of notable achievement.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Here is John Arlott's "Desert Island" cricket XI. According to Arlott it is a team "of angels I will most enjoy watching in heaven."

01. Jack Hobbs
    02. Mike Brearley
    03. Viv Richards
    04. Ted Dexter
    05. Keith Miller
    06. Ian Botham
    07. George Brown +
    08. Learie Constantine
    09. Wilfred Rhodes
    10. Jim Laker
    11. Wes Hall
    12th. Basil D'Oliveira

Cricketing pioneer John Arlott died 10 years ago | Sport | The Guardian

My desert island XI would be something like:

Barry Richards
    Brian Lara
    Viv Richards
    Mark Waugh
    Victor Trumper
    Colin Cowdrey
    Adam Gilchrist
    Wasim Akram
    Dennis Lillee
    Michael Holding
    Bishen Bedi

School Boy/Girl Captain
    My desert island XI might be:

1 Barry Richards
    2 Viv Richards
    3 Brian Lara
    4 Darren Lehmann
    5 Mike Procter
    6 Ian Botham
    7 Adam Gilchrist
    8 Shakib Al Hasan
    9 Malcolm Marshall
    10 Michael Holding
    11 Courtney Walsh

State Vice-Captain
    Mine would be:

Hobbs
    Gilchrist
    Richards
    Pollock
    Sangakkara
    Sobers
    Procter
    Akram
    Warne
    Johnson
    Barnes
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Thread Information